TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme (vl3x)

Started by rolandvg99, December 28, 2016, 11:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

Ok, this was my scenario:

• Needed a new looper
  • Had to find something to turn reverb/Delay on/off using foot control for my Mackie DL1608
  • Preferably an one-in-all solution for easy and quick setup
Options:
TC Helicon

Digitech
Boss
++

After a long thinking period, and lots of testing, I ended with a VoiceLive 3 Extreme.

Pros:

• Guitar FX are quite good
  • Amp sims are very tweakable
  • Easy setup
  • Built in IEM mixer with monitor return and ambient mics.
  • Good sounding looper
  • 5-pin MIDI in/out
  • Good expandability with external switches
  • Loads of ins and outs
  • USB direct recording for laying down ideas
  • Chorus with delay time in 0.1 of a ms instead of Roland/Boss 0.5 - great for fine adjustment of timbre/phase settings
  • Sturdy design
  • Included cable with 3.5 mm IEM connections
  • It can run for 3-4 hours off of my external 12v battery pack (10000 mAh)
  • Not too expensive
Cons:

• Fixed FX chain.
  • No dedicated EQs on outputs.
  • No option for a 100% pure wet signal when runing in a mono application (It can separate dry vocals and processed vocals, but both includes the direct signal, which could lead to phase problems when connected and mixed through FOH, especially on mixers with variable latency such as ProCo)
  • Can't control all parameters through MIDI CC, just the basic volumes.
  • Can't address multiple parameters to one controller. Roland/BOSS handles this quite alright. My VG-88 Wah-Wah on method is not possible to use (EXP pedal range 0-100 for pedal control and EXP pedal range 126-127 for on/off using a piece of rubber to restrict pedal motion).
  • Can't have amp sim on for one channel only while using the guitar outs (would have been awesome if it had)
  • Non-logical routing setup - not quite the correct term, but it's too dumbed down. I would have liked to have more control and on a dedicated page, rather than having things scattered around.
Will dive into the VoiceLiveEditor at a later stage: http://www.voiceliveeditor.com/
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Beirne

Finally, someone playin a Hendrix strat the correct rightie way... a lefty strat just flipped over. Did you keep the string order the same too?
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

whippinpost91850

A rarity no action for 4.5 hrs on this site

rolandvg99

Used my VL3X straight to FOH at our concert last night with great success. Didn't use vocal FX, but used it for guitar tones and IEM mixing. Even got praise for my guitar tone. Ran my Cort Hiram Bullock with stock PUs - Mighty Mite HSH setup.

If you are in the market for a powerfull one-in-all Vocal and guitar FX processor, the VoiceLive 3/3x might be what you're looking for.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Beirne

I use the VL3x with vocals and gr55 on guitar/bass. I go into the VL3 first and clean out to the my gr55 (modded 1/4 input).
But I havent used the guitar fx in the VL3.  Would work nicely as a second fx chain....
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

Elantric

Look here for the existing Voicelive 3 (older model) thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10523.0

And here is a demo of the VL3 Extreme

Too bad they dont offer free beer at NAMM ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFKs5VeOH4U&list=RDGFKs5VeOH4U#t=0

https://youtu.be/rCn-cTXmNgg?list=RDcRagA1EToU4

Majiken

Been looking hard at this for some time, especially the looper function (you can import loops too, right?).  Like the VG99, I've been staring, drooling and following the VoiceLive forum, where one thread is people giving suggestions on what they would like to see in a VL4.  VG99, you might want to check this out and give them your input, might actually be incorporated into the next version!  Look here:
http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/220132427-Voicelive-4

I own the predecessor to the VL3, the VoiceLive Play GTX (see the pic of my rig below)- I actually own two, and one is my global swiss army knife of sound for both instruments and voice.  I can take it anywhere around the world in my guitar flightcase and know exactly what sound I will have for vox and guitar (or banjo, mandolin, bass guitar, dobro....).  Done a lot of gigs with just it; what I didn't like and was the reason for my buying the GP-10 was the lack of adding & modifying guitar FX on the fly.  I originally didn't care about the GP10 modeling, and had the VL3 come out before I bought it I might not even have found this forum  :o.  What I've done is waited for the huge historical TC-Helicon mid-life price drop to happen, but it just hasn't yet and used boxes are very rare in my neighborhood.  Crud, GAS flares up again!!!!

Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Majiken

Haven't been on the TC-Helicon forum for awhile, reviewing the link on suggestions for the VL4 and am really impressed by both the amount of input and how it's being actively processed and discussed by Craig, the TC rep.  I get a feeling of having access to the development process, and that TC is leveraging and being leveraged by the Music Group (Behringer).  This is really, really interesting stuff!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Thanks for the heads up on the VL4 wishlist thread
http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/220132427-Voicelive-4

In reading Craigs posts:
http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/profiles/145223266-Craig

- I get the feeling the VL4 is still at least 6 months away
and actually happy TC  / Helicon Electronics is still releasing firmware and remains viable  -  - after Uli Behringer purchased them back in 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC_Electronic
https://ph.linkedin.com/in/ulibehringer

(They were being eyed for purchase by Gibson a few years back )

But they remain headquartered in Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC-Helicon

Majiken

QuoteI get the feeling the VL4 is still at least 6 months away

Agreed- I have a lot of automotive project experience, and assuming parallels I would assume they're still in the mockup stage. What I really like about this is Craig taking the input from a very interested customer base, filtering and presenting it to the development team. I see the testings of newly-found leveraging within the Music Group, which indicates huge synergy potential; I see marketing decisions made (there WILL be a looper included), and I see realtime feedback to the customer base, teasing and weaning, keeping them actively involved. Craig is doing a great job!

I'll bet already that VL4 will have even more routable switching options, with scribble strips like the X32 (or Helix from another household)...

www.majiken.rocks

Hurricane

Just about to pull the trigger .

It's been a month of intense reviews and research covering several different loopers .

Read the issues that each have/had and the up date firmware back updates and so forth .

The Boss  RC was on the forefront with the Line 6 JM4 next and then the TC series basic loopes .

Pro's and Co's from any users of any looper are appreciated greatly .
I'll be further looking and researching . Spent time on the telephone today
with one on line retailer I do business with , accessed  good info .

I've a my GR33 to add to my set up - besides amps and stuff. 
I get quite eclectic from classics to RnR ,Funk , Blues , Jazz , Standards and way beyond .

What makes me go- hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - is the the VLX's ability to record your performance .
I know there have been many magic moment I wish I had recorded my performance and that of others with me .

Recently I bought a Tascam DR-44WL start capturing my live act . This would add a degree of redundancy , yes but ,
that can't hurt can it  ;D

HR

Elantric

compare to older model 

TC Voicelive 3
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10523.0

The current TC Voicelive 3 Extreme is the one to buy today  - its has far more memory and better quality TC  FX

Unrivalled Multi-FX Automation & Playback

Connect with your audience like never before. Groundbreaking FX automation and backing track playback sets you free to focus solely on your performance, while awe-inspiring vocal effects and rich guitar sounds run effortlessly by themselves. From the first song idea to the execution of complex live arrangements, everything you've worked for comes together in VoiceLive 3 Extreme.

Main Features
- NEW! 4x internal memory of VoiceLive 3 with USB import/export of loops
- NEW! Backing-track import with fully synchronized FX automation and recall per preset
- NEW! Performance Recorder allows live 24-bit audio recording to a USB flash drive.
- Complete professional vocal and guitar FX paths, with next-gen Harmony processing and TC Electronic TonePrint sounds
- Powerful 3-phrase looping lets you create and store entire songs on-the-fly

Practice Made Perfect
If VoiceLive® products are the stepping-stone to studio perfection in live performance, VL3X is the one completing the journey.

It all starts in rehearsal with you loading up a backing track. Whether it's just drums, bass, or a full band mix-down, VL3X lets you capture all your FX changes synced to your track; harmonies, delays, guitar FX, anything you can think of. You can even record speedy FX changes that would otherwise be physically impossible using the switches alone.

It ends with you on stage. Simply pressing play on VL3X and an amazing thing happens – your track plays back with all the FX changes you perfected at home, completely automated for your performance. You're free to connect with your audience and everyone around you. All that hard work you did before the gig – making your song sound just right – is heard every time you perform.

- Up to 100 audio backing tracks can be loaded for live accompaniment via a standard USB drive
- MP3 and 16/24 bit WAV import formats supported
- Onboard sequencer records and plays back FX and Step activations live
- Backing tracks/sequences load quickly via associated presets
- Icon-based play/record/editing interface and waveform display

Extremely Inspired Production Quality
The inspiration that follows from carefully planning out your songs with backing tracks and FX sequencing is beautifully matched by the onboard audio recorder that allows you to capture everything you do in glorious 24-bit quality. Record every live performance, every home practice all with professional studio fidelity and effects – both vocal and guitar. Turn your tour into EP material or your late night jams into SoundCloud gold. It's all possible with just your talent, VL3X and a USB flash drive.

VoiceLive 3 Legacy
In addition to the performance tech upgrade, VL3X sports all the features that has made the VoiceLive 3 platform the ultimate 3-in-1 professional performance system for vocals, guitar and phrase looping.

Hurricane

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2017, 03:59:02 PM
The current Voicelive 3 Extreme is the one to buy today  - its has far more memory and better quality TC  FX

Leanin hard towards the VLX

What's the VL3 have in it's memory I know the VLX has 4 times more but what does that exactly mean ?
And the FX differences I was under the impression they were the same unit except for the added memory
and recording and automation of FX settings you custom make ?

Thanks

HR

Elantric

Use the TC Helicon Compare product  function
http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/comparison/

Hurricane

Elantric

Best to ask on the TC-Helicon Forum

http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000431288-Midi-sync-help

QuoteI'm trying to Sync my VL3x with my Ipad/IPhone thru loopy hd and my Iconnect audio4+ but I'm not having great result.

I activated the midi option on my VL3X , I've tried to send the message from loopy loaded on my iphone this night, but I have been defeated.

Any suggestion ?

Have you set the midi source on the VL3X?  That's done in the Setup menu under the Midi tab - set Source to USB.  Note that this parameter is referring to the mini USB port on the VL3X, not the USB type-A port.
Reading though this guy's setup tutorial might prove useful too - he also uses the iConnectAudio4+ with Loopy HD.

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/09/how-to-setup-iconnectivitys.html

http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/articles/228171847-VoiceLive-3-Tempo-syncing-two-units-via-MIDI-

http://support.tc-helicon.com/hc/en-us/articles/228170747-VoiceLive-3-Extreme-MIDI-sync-offset

Hurricane

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

- - - - - - - Did it , ordered the Vocal Live 3 Exteme an hour ago - - - - - - -

New in the box and $550.00 , was going to get a open box for $509.00 , I opt'd for the new one for $41.00 more .
30 day return free shipping .

I feel like a kid .

EZ :

HR

Majiken

Great price either way- congrats! I got one (open box for 619 with 30 day return) with the intention to finally get around to looping. Haven't worked on looping yet, but the guitar FX are good and finally switchable, and the vox FX are way beyond what I had and used intensely before.

Now busy programming standalone presets for my various instruments, when that is done I plan to explore going into the GP10 for modeling and mono Fx, then into the VL3X for stereo Fx (poor man's Axe-fx, haha, but with modeling). Great fun!

www.majiken.rocks

Hurricane

Quote from: Majiken on March 04, 2017, 02:36:49 AM
Great price either way- congrats! I got one (open box for 619 with 30 day return) with the intention to finally get around to looping. Haven't worked on looping yet, but the guitar FX are good and finally switchable, and the vox FX are way beyond what I had and used intensely before.

Now busy programming standalone presets for my various instruments, when that is done I plan to explore going into the GP10 for modeling and mono Fx, then into the VL3X for stereo Fx (poor man's Axe-fx, haha, but with modeling). Great fun!

;D

Quote from: Majiken on March 04, 2017, 02:36:49 AM

I can hardly contain myself . I got into looping on my Digitech GNX4 , as far as DAW's go it was a good entry level experience .

I just saw a editor for this unit . It  opened my eyes to the enormous variety of preset patterns it has as well as the tons of more patterns by
pros and amateurs for the taking online .

One thing ( of the many ) that caught my eye was the megaphone / LoFi preset . It reminds me of how my vocals sound through a
Shure Bros. 520D Green Bullet. I'm wondering how that preset would  sound on my harp arrangements .

Heavy harp players like playing through a SM 57 / Fender Bassman-Twin Reverb - Super Reverb - Vibro Champ to get that really wild
mean squawk . I'm hoping to emulate that sound through those presets and amp settings . Hope it works , it would mean hauling less gear and I'm down on that .

EZ :

HR

Hurricane

First off ,

• Built like a tank

• Light weight

• Small Stage Footprint

• Cool Black out finish
I'm going to get lost guys and gals - -

Laters , I'm mamboing outa heaaaaahhh

Dayoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! I say Dayoooooooooooooooooooooooo - deeseaday deeseaday deeseaday ohhh
EZ :

HR

8)

Hurricane

;)

The more I dig into this the better it gets .

The sucker is impressively put together and still pretty light weight over all , easily carried with one hand . It's a tad heavier than my Roland GR33 .

The gating of the aux & guitar input have to be adjusted , once that was realized I began to grasp this sucker better , it's a time consumer  , took me two days to read the  downloaded 200 page PDF manual . The manual it comes with is just a starter guide .

The audio is so clear and transparent , this so far sonically is living up to it's reputation of killer guitar sounds .

The acoustic BodyRez presets are really cool.
Also being able to add electric guitar stomp pedal FX is appealing to me on my nylon and steel string acoustic guitars , Rodrigo of Rodrigo & Gabriela was among the first acoustic guitarist I saw using electric guitar pedals in their shows on nylon Spanish classic type guitars . T.C. Helicon has really scored big on this set of 5 acoustic presets IMHO .

A Fishman Aural Exciter runs approx. $350.00 by it's self . The place I scored this VL3X was awesome ,  I  got it new and still sealed in the box for $550.00 w/free shipping . Don't ask me who , they ran out of them @ that price today ( I just checked now ) , I feel  ;D lucky so far I do .

They are being sold for $799.00 from Amazon To Sweetwater - Open Box @ $599.00 E-Bay

More analysis to follow soon cause I'm loving this so far even if it's a ball buster to realize it's M.O., it's easier to figure out than my Digitech GNX4 DAW was in comparison  , it's ( Digitech GNX4 ) measly screen was very limited . This one is quite extensive , it's gong to be a while for me to get this sucker wired , but get this wired I will !

EZ :

HR

8)

Hurricane

8)

I would be interested to know how many member in this forum have a  T.C. Helicon Voice  Live series unit ,
VL3 or VL3X ?

I've had my VL3X little over two months , I'm just getting to feel comfortable with it .

I would like to hear the opinions and comments from those  with one of these .

EZ :

HR

chlorinemist

I have a VoiceLive Touch 2 and it's great. TC is really good at making no fuss fx that are simple to use.

Hurricane

Quote from:  chlorinemist on May 29, 2017, 01:30:41 AM
I have a VoiceLive Touch 2 and it's great. TC is really good at making no fuss fx that are simple to use.

Hello Chlorinemist :

Would you elaborate on your units stand out functions that you feel strongly about  .

I believe it has more than 3 looping tracks is that right ? This is cool if I recall this right ,
please correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks for contributing to my query .

EZ :

HR