Mounting GK-3 to a Semi-Hollow body guitar

Started by 47Flyer, August 05, 2016, 08:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47Flyer

I have a couple of nice semi-hollow body guitars that I wanted to mount a GK-3 onto.  The problem on both of the guitars is that there is not enough room between the bridge and the bridge pickup to apply the GK-3 pickup.  How terrible would it be if I mount the GK-3 on the other side of the bridge pickup, closer to the neck but as close as possible to the bridge pickup?  I know that the GK-3 is supposed to be as close to the bridge as possible and I've never seen one mounted the way that I suggested but I don't see any other way of mounting it without removing the bridge pickup.  Thanks.

gumtown

I guess if that is the only option, then so be it.
Or you could consider making a custom pickup mounting bracket where the pickup is turned upside-down over the strings at the bridge.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteThe problem on both of the guitars is that there is not enough room between the bridge and the bridge pickup to apply the GK-3 pickup

I find on most guitars like that its easy to unscrew the 4 PU mounting ring screws and "slide" the Bridge PU 1/8 inch further away from the bridge to make room for the Mag hex PU . I had to do this with Godin xtSA - it was a simple mod and required no major wood cutting  - thanks to the liberal oversize bridge PU body route.

QuoteHow terrible would it be if I mount the GK-3 on the other side of the bridge pickup, closer to the neck but as close as possible to the bridge pickup?

If you never bend strings  - it might work, but with a "mid mounted GK-3", as soon as you start playing blues licks and bending strings, then the "B string typically drifts away from the GK-3 B string PU pole piece and drops volume, until it  lands over  the GK-3 G string PU pole and that can be problematic with poor results if you use DSP Alt Tunings or Guitar to MIDI  - I dont recommend it.   

imerkat

I managed to add one to my semi on a pinch with double sided outdoor mounting tape.

47Flyer

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm going to have to take another look at it.  I just need a few more millimeters so I might use Elantric's idea of sliding the bridge pick up slightly forward.  Otherwise, that custom pickup mounting adapter might work too.