Behringer / Midas DeepMind - 12 analog 12 voice polyphonic synthesizer

Started by Elantric, August 04, 2016, 09:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Behringer  / Midas DeepMind  - 12 analog 12 voice polyphonic synthesizer

Pays homage to Roland Juno-106 - but on steroids  - and separate Editor for IOS / Android PC / Mac -

"competitively priced Analog Synthesis for the masses" 

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/990463-leaked-midas-behringer-synth-video-sonicstate.html

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/07/28/behringer-reveals-deepmind-12-analog-12-voice-polyphonic-synthesizer/

Elantric

QuoteBehringer has now made the decision to offer the DeepMind12 keyboard at a recommended sales price of US$ 999.99

So Street price should be $799

Elantric

arkieboy

If only it had midi mono mode ...

Until then I'm hanging onto my supernova 2 rack mount
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

jim-analog

Greetings,

What would it take to "add" mono mode to MIDI equipped hardware that lacks it? Is there a "midi chipset" that could be upgraded, firmware code, ??? Guitarists using MIDI really need this feature and I don't understand why it's not implemented on more equipment. I can't see it adding cost wise unless I'm missing something. Isn't it part of the standard MIDI protocool? Thanks for any tips!

Regards, Jim

Quote from: arkieboy on December 01, 2019, 10:20:19 AM
If only it had midi mono mode ...

Until then I'm hanging onto my supernova 2 rack mount

admin

Quote from: jim-analog on February 03, 2020, 10:49:14 AM

Greetings,

What would it take to "add" mono mode to MIDI equipped hardware that lacks it? Is there a "midi chipset" that could be upgraded, firmware code, ??? Guitarists using MIDI really need this feature and I don't understand why it's not implemented on more equipment. I can't see it adding cost wise unless I'm missing something. Isn't it part of the standard MIDI protocool? Thanks for any tips!

Regards, Jim

For the DeepMind 12, MIDI Mono Mode can only be implemented by Behringer as Firmware update

jim-analog

Greetings,

Thank you Admin! I did some research into my question after I posted and came to the same conclusion. It turns out there is a lot more to it than I had figured. Oh well.................I just don't know why companies don't support Mode 4. Compared to many other features, it can't be that expensive to code for from the start of the project.

Regards, Jim

Quote from: admin on February 03, 2020, 10:54:33 AM
For the DeepMind 12, MIDI Mono Mode can only be implemented by Behringer as Firmware update

scratch17

Most current synths do not support MIDI Mono Mode. In fact the dearth of
Mode 4 is so prevalent, most manufacturers burry their synths' mode info
in the MIDI Implementation chart.

Which precludes their use as a guitar driven tone module in a live setting.

However, in the studio, you have the luxury of non real time voice rendering.

That provides alternative approaches. And these approaches are regardless
of MIDI Modes, multi-timbral capability or even what format (hardware or software)
you are driving to produce the string's sound.

How is this possible?

Once you remove the requirement that all six strings' voices be rendered
simultaneously, single string rendering voids the need for Mode 4.

Think about it. As a simple example, consider the Deepmind as a voice source.
If you send all six strings' MIDI data simultaneously to the Deepmind, any string bend
will be reflected as pitch bend on all of the strings's voices. That is a deal breaker.

But look what happens if you send only one string's MIDI data at a time to the Deepmind.

Any string bend will be reflected as MIDI pitch bend on only the one string being rendered.
Which is the way Mode 4 works.

In fact, voice counts don't matter when you render voicing in this way. If you are only
rendering a single voice at a time, you don't need a sound source with more than one voice.
Nor does multi timbral capability matter for the same reason.

There is of course a requirement that you use a hexaphonic pickup's six stems as the driver
for the voice rendering. Then you must convert each audio stem into MIDI data.

And each audio stem must be converted onto a separate MIDI track. If you were to combine
the data onto a single MIDI track, there would be no way to render each string's voice
separately.

Keeping each string's MIDI data on a separate track is also critical for using a soft synth
or a soft sampler as a rendering source. Again, it is for the same reason.
Unless of course the soft synth or sampler can support Mode 4. As with hardware,
not all do.

Finally, you must keep the rendered voice tracks in sync with the rest of your project's tracks.
That might require some tracks to be realigned.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

Quote from: scratch17 on May 15, 2020, 01:53:48 PM

of MIDI Modes, multi-timbral capability or even what format (hardware or software)

How is this possible?

Once you remove the requirement that all six strings' voices be rendered
simultaneously, single string rendering voids the need for Mode 4.

Think about it. As a simple example, consider the Deepmind as a voice source.
If you send all six strings' MIDI data simultaneously to the Deepmind, any string bend
will be reflected as pitch bend on all of the strings's voices. That is a deal breaker.

But look what happens if you send only one string's MIDI data at a time to the Deepmind.

Any string bend will be reflected as MIDI pitch bend on only the one string being rendered.
Which is the way Mode 4 works.

In fact, voice counts don't matter when you render voicing in this way. If you are only
rendering a single voice at a time, you don't need a sound source with more than one voice.
Nor does multi timbral capability matter for the same reason.

There is of course a requirement that you use a hexaphonic pickup's six stems as the driver
for the voice rendering. Then you must convert each audio stem into MIDI data.

And each audio stem must be converted onto a separate MIDI track. If you were to combine
the data onto a single MIDI track, there would be no way to render each string's voice
separately.

Keeping each string's MIDI data on a separate track is also critical for using a soft synth
or a soft sampler as a rendering source. Again, it is for the same reason.
Unless of course the soft synth or sampler can support Mode 4. As with hardware,
not all do.

Finally, you must keep the rendered voice tracks in sync with the rest of your project's tracks.
That might require some tracks to be realigned.

Essentially Multitrack overdubbing

Les Paul 
https://web.archive.org/web/20090107192758/http://mixonline.com/Multitracking_Wasnt_Always_Easy/
QuoteThe 8-track came along in 1953. We were filming, and I was taking a rest and looking up at the sky when my manager asked what I was dreaming about. I said that recording using sound-on-sound was crazy. There's a better way: Stack the heads one on top of the other, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, and align them so we could do self-sync, with all the heads in line. My manager said the concept was beyond him but wondered if it was a good idea. When I told him, "I think it will change the world," he told me I should do something about it.
to

Wendy Carlos
http://www.wendycarlos.com/+sob.html
QuoteThere's absolutely nothing here to discourage buying this amazing set, so I'll just comment on some of the many highlights. The four Scarlatti sonatas--in particular, K 455 -- are amazing because of their innovative treatment. First, the musical lines rapidly change position in the stereo image -- from hard right to left and back; second, Carlos uses multitrack recording to double certain notes in the musical lines with different timbres and percussive white noise--the result is a rich sounding and dramatic rehearing of Scarlatti's visceral sonatas that, quite frankly, is more exciting than the originals can ever be.

chrish

I have "switched on Bach" and I would rather hear Bach played acoustically, maybe a synth part here and there to "modernise it" but not the Whole Enchilada.

Although it was innovative for its time in early synth history when considering the tones had to be painstakingly patched.

arkieboy

Quote from: scratch17 on May 15, 2020, 01:53:48 PM

For sure you can record your guitar in mono mode and 're-synth' your part by assigning/recording non-mode 4 synthesisers.  But you don't have any option to interact with the substituted sound - your music becomes a piece of animation: deliberate, planned, decontextualised.

OTOH mode 4 synths support serendipity, discovery, creative coherence.

There are musics from which the former approach will not distract and possibly enhance.  But it becomes a production tool rather than a fundamental source of creativity and inspiration, which is what I look to my guitar synthesiser to provide.  I'll sit for hours auditioning and tweaking sounds - looking for inspiration for composition, that spark that triggers something new.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

mooncaine