GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bugs/errors/issues

Started by jwhitcomb3, April 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Elantric, any chance to download 1.00 somewhere? Is 1.00 safe?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Brak(E)man

Version 1.0 isn't bug free either at least not on Mac
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Majiken

I'm amazed that I haven't experienced any BTS "teen number" bugs! I do backup constantly and load livesets depending on with whom and what instruments I will be playing, and in 98% of all cases 10 or less presets float my boat. I have gone as high as 23 though without incident.

Think I'd better shut up while the sleeping dogs lie  :-X
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

gumtown

Quote from: Majiken on October 20, 2016, 02:03:02 AM
I'm amazed that I haven't experienced any BTS "teen number" bugs! I do backup constantly and load livesets depending on with whom and what instruments I will be playing, and in 98% of all cases 10 or less presets float my boat. I have gone as high as 23 though without incident.

Do you have the latest version with the "offline mode" in the midi device start-up/setup page?
The latest version is the one with the file save/changing parameter issue.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Autana

Quote from: Majiken on October 20, 2016, 02:03:02 AM

In BTS 1.1.0 when a FULL backup of entire GP-10 memory is made in BTS LIBRARIAN (creating a new LiveSet) there will not occur problem nor errors by copying or exchange patches from one LiveSet to another or, more important even, to an GP-10 memory slot or the  current patch buffer EDITOR. The bug only occur by transferring patches individually or groups of them from the 99 patches list (BTS left column)  to LIBRARIAN Live Sets according to the documented "teen number" weird thing.
Note I not tested it in the old BTS  V1.0.0! so any info on that would be a good reference to add.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

- IMPORTANT UPDATE  in the patch save bug in GP-10 BTS version 1.1.0 -

Trying to expand the researching, today I noticed something that could be relevant for the historical records of this annoying bug.

I run BOSS TONE STUDIO 1.1.0 in the new OFF LINE mode which allows to use it in standalone without GP-10 connected to USB. In this "unplugged" mode I could verify that transferring of patches from the Edit Buffer to the BTS LIBRARIAN is working fine and free of errors, regardless of the preset number or ten row used. Also, the  transferring of various patches (about thirty) from the original GP-10 patch list by default in the OFF LINE mode was successful, no errors at all. I carried out the checking of patches integrity saved in LIBRARIAN LiveSets in OFF LINE mode, now with the GP-10 connected via USB in the normal online mode. 
I wonder if some of you can check and confirm this on your own system.
If this is true, it could be concluded that the bug occurs only as an communication malfunction between software (BTS) and hardware (GP-10), not by the program itself (in the OFF LINE standalone mode).
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Majiken

I finally got a chance to check, my version is 1.1.0 - sorry it took so long to respond!  I haven't used the offline mode yet, but I assume that I haven't entered Bugland yet since I try to keep to 10 or less presets for live use and load according to the gig.

If I get the chance, I'll try to induce the bug so I know what not to do when I get to that bridge. Seems like it's 100% reproduceable, especially following the descriptions.  Autana, great observation just now!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

as a general reference - here is good info on what type USB 2.0 cable works best for all Audio / MIDI gear

Choosing the Correct USB Cable for Your Audio/MIDI Hardware Device
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11086.msg80947#msg80947

and try to avoid USB 3.0 ports on Windows PCs

USB 2.0 port is best

slooky

Latest update from Boss on Boss tone studio

Hello Carlos and others waiting for a BOSS Tone Studio update.
I have received confirmation from our software engineers that an update IS coming and IS currently in the works. There have been a couple of delays but I've been assured it is coming. I wasn't able to get an exact date but one of the reasons for the delay is the fact that the BOSS Tone Studio is being updated for ALL BOSS products that use it, not just the version for the GP-10.
Thank you for your continued patience.
View the comment

Elantric

BOSS TONE STUDIO  - BUG FIX  / MacOS 10.12 compatible
QuoteSupport for macOS Sierra (10.12) was added.
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
The values of ASSIGN 4-8 settings are not correctly sent to the unit from LIBRARIAN.
Some keyboard operations failing to work properly was corrected.
Other modification to the behavior of the user interface were made.

BTS for GP-10 (MacOS 10.12 compatible)
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gp-10/updates_drivers/ada369b7-73c0-4aef-9659-2ce343f654ed/

BTS for GP-10 (WIN))
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gp-10/updates_drivers/d02c1a00-8ce2-431c-bd60-49aee8ee1eb4/

Update history
[ Ver.1.1.1 ] MAR 2017
Bug Fixes
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
[ Ver.1.1.0 ]
Functionality Improvements
Librarian's "multiple patch copy," "multiple patch overwrite," "multiple patch move," and "multiple patch delete" are now supported.
Multiple patch copy to the unit is supported.
Moving live sets is now possible.

snowfall62

Hi all, first post here.
I just picked up a GP-10, and very happy to finally have a guitar-synth at last.
Not too happy with the bugs in Tone Studio (or is it the GP-10 itself?) however.  I'm using v1.1.1 of BTS, and the problem that Autana talks about in post #11 of this thread is still there.  I've been a software developer for 30+ years (working at the device driver level as well), and I can say that there is no excuse for this.  If it's really a just a software problem, then fix it already, it's not hard, unless your developers suck, in which case, hire new ones.  If it's a hardware problem that can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade - well then, BOSS/Roland, you've got a bigger issues, eh?  I sort of thought that Line6 spent to much time on fancy graphics, and BOSS /Roland were "real" engineers getting down to business. But if the hardware can't handle even the simplest third grader basics, like parameter transfers in the low bytes-per-second range, where does that leave you, BOSS/Roland?
Lucky for me, I'm a bedroom player,  if I was a gigging musician, I'd be mighty pissed.

Elantric

QuoteI just picked up a GP-10, and very happy to finally have a guitar-synth at last.
Not too happy with the bugs in Tone Studio (or is it the GP-10 itself?) however.  I'm using v1.1.1 of BTS, and the problem that Autana talks about in post #11 of this thread is still there.  I've been a software developer for 30+ years (working at the device driver level as well), and I can say that there is no excuse for this.  If it's really a just a software problem, then fix it already, it's not hard, unless your developers suck, in which case, hire new ones.  If it's a hardware problem that can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade - well then, BOSS/Roland, you've got a bigger issues, eh?  I sort of thought that Line6 spent to much time on fancy graphics, and BOSS /Roland were "real" engineers getting down to business. But if the hardware can't handle even the simplest third grader basics, like parameter transfers in the low bytes-per-second range, where does that leave you, BOSS/Roland?
Lucky for me, I'm a bedroom player,  if I was a gigging musician, I'd be mighty pissed.

What is your computer OS type and version?

snowfall62

Quote from: Elantric on March 31, 2017, 03:56:35 PM
What is your computer OS type and version?

I'm on Windows (10), not Mac, so that's not the issue.  I don't think MS gives a hoot one way or another about audio...

aliensporebomb

Weird.  I've been reading about these bugs but I haven't encountered them in the way described.  But, what I typically do is: always press the save button on the GP-10 rather than a save button in the app.  I believe I'm running the latest version.  MacOS Sierra v10.12.2. 

So:  I use the tone studio to set the settings the way I want and press save on the GP-10 itself.   I don't use the live sets since I'm kind of unclear how that works.

I've saved patches all over the 0-99 range and they come back the way they were saved.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vtgearhead

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 31, 2017, 07:49:25 PM
So:  I use the tone studio to set the settings the way I want and press save on the GP-10 itself.   I don't use the live sets since I'm kind of unclear how that works.

Heh.  I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one.  I've never understood how live sets work.  I get that it's a two-step arrangement where presets move from the active display (amp current state) to some sort of holding area, then eventually to disk.  Possibly with order rearrangement.  The few times I've tried them I ended up overwriting some carefully crafted live settings and/or creating a new column (is that the "live set"?) on the second UI page. Roland is not alone with poorly designed UIs.  The Blackstar ID:60 UI is, if anything, more confusing.  I've never been able to reason out how to save current settings into "upper" locations (no accessible from front panel) nor save/restore them from disk.

Neither of these environments would be problematic if the vendor had taken the time to provide a _complete_ example, step by step (do this, then click this, then do that..).  Instead, as with so much modern GUI based software, we get tons of eye-candy and handwaving.  Perhaps I'm simply of the wrong generation, though, so feel free to skip this rant :-)

chrish

When dragging patches from the live set over to the device, they have a tendency to drift so hitting the mark is not so easy.

That results in placing the patch in the incorrect device location.(assuming that the gp-10 and sy300 tone studio are the same in how they operate)

Elantric

Here is the BTS Manuel. The creation of livesets in step by step procedure is explained within the first 17 pages. Same process is used for GP-10, SY-300, Katana ,GT-1, etc
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

admin

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 03, 2017, 08:15:08 PM

All Boss Tone Studio for Windows download links have been removed while Roland /Boss sort out why recent MS Windows update/Adobe AIR updates present a conflict for the BTS Installer

If you already have HYS installed ,please DO NOT REMOVE IT .

I might take a few months for Roland/Boss to deliver a fix

Meanwhile ,use Gumtown's Floorboard Editor for your device (Katana,GP-10,GT-100,GT-001)
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24057971/

To all those having problems installing tone studio on windows 10: Set your date back (a year will do) and then run the install - this will get it installed and then you can change the date back to the correct date - All Good!
I believe it is probably something like a code signing certificate has expired (or similar) - changing the date gets around whatever check it is performing during the install. Enjoy!

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on March 16, 2016, 10:40:20 AM

I get a very different Screenshot :-?
the parameters are all off

Am I doing something wrong here ?

- Lydia Lunch

admin

Be sure you are using the very latest version Boss Tone Studio for GP-10  version 1.1.1. - released  March 2017
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gp-10/updates_drivers /

Update history
[ Ver.1.1.1 ] MAR 2017
Bug Fixes
[ Ver.1.1.0 ]
Functionality Improvements
Librarian's "multiple patch copy," "multiple patch overwrite," "multiple patch move," and "multiple patch delete" are now supported.
Multiple patch copy to the unit is supported.
Moving live sets is now possible.

Brak(E)man

It's the latest version :-)

I'm trying to check the settings in patch in offline mode
but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Never tried it before.

- Lydia Lunch

motetito

Hello All.
I found an issue that was not reported yet (i think)
After editing Cabinet Type, Mic Type, Position, etc. i alwas back to the amp to make fine adjustments but if i want to go back to cabinet settings only appears Cabinet Type but no mic settings. Is that an bug or im doing something wrong in BTS?
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

RockInProgress

Quote from: Brak(E)man on July 23, 2017, 09:19:40 AM
I get a very different Screenshot :-?
the parameters are all off

Am I doing something wrong here ?

I know this problem,
My solution is NEVER OVERWRITE patches!
I found out that it happen only when i overwrite patches...
Since stopping never had this problem!

Brak(E)man

Quote from: RockInProgress on June 04, 2020, 05:34:43 AM
I know this problem,
My solution is NEVER OVERWRITE patches!
I found out that it happen only when i overwrite patches...
Since stopping never had this problem!

It's only when trying to check patches in offline mode this happens.
It doesn't have to be saved, overwritten or not , doesn't matter.

- Lydia Lunch