PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I think this is a much needed utility

One issue will be the lack of MIDI CC controller assignments on GT-1  - compared to GT-001 which has numerous MIDI CC assignments

CodeSmart

Quote from: admsustainiac on September 25, 2017, 09:26:47 AM
I think this is a much needed utility

One issue will be the lack of MIDI CC controller assignments on GT-1  - compared to GT-001 which has numerous MIDI CC assignments

Yup, the bridge will cover EVERY setting of the GT-1. Very similar on how I implemented and mapped things for the Katana.
And actually the GT-1, despite it's price is a very competent and well sounding pedal.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

MIDX-20 GT-1 Platform Source code in place - Check
MIDX-20 -> GT-1 Connect and Initial negotiations working - Check
PC# (Program Change)  -> Selects GT-1 patch U01, U02 etc... using GT-1 SysEx - Check
CC# ... well now the mapping begins (as time permits) ...it's just hard and tedious work actually :P

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 25, 2017, 04:22:47 PM
MIDX-20 GT-1 Platform Source code in place - Check
MIDX-20 -> GT-1 Connect and Initial negotiations working - Check
PC# (Program Change)  -> Selects GT-1 patch U01, U02 etc... using GT-1 SysEx - Check
CC# ... well now the mapping begins (as time permits) ...it's just hard and tedious work actually :P

Didn't Roland release the full MIDI spec for GT-1?  Or, am I thinking of a different product?

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on September 26, 2017, 05:03:33 AM
Didn't Roland release the full MIDI spec for GT-1?  Or, am I thinking of a different product?
Ha-ha! Funny ;D However the GT-1 is very much a GT-100 and Katana sibling with a little gene pool twist here and there. It's many times same-same but sometime different so all parameter hex addresses need to be checked. It would be too easy if there was a spec.

gumtown

If you have BTS for GT-1 installed,
Have you looked in the addressmap.json file, on Windows is usually found here
C:\Program Files (x86)\BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT-1\_assets\data\

It has all the address secrets if you have a JSON format file viewer.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

There will be a free MIDX-20 Katana bridge update supporting the new Katana V2 features as soon as possible.

The Boss GT-1 Bridge development work is ongoing and progressing well.

A Boss MS-3 Bridge is also planned.

CodeSmart

Arigatou Yoshi !!!
...for keeping the sneaky stuff in there. Upgraded my head to V2 and went through the existing MIDX-20 bridge. It appears everything from V1 is still in there including sneaky amps etc. The community thanks you!

Now head on implementing the new added things... :D

chappi

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 03, 2017, 05:31:55 AM

A Boss MS-3 Bridge is also planned.

Looks like I'm upgrading from the Midx-10 then. So I could have GP-10 and MS3 connected via Midx-20 ?

CodeSmart

Here's the new (very preliminary) MIDX-20 KatanaV2 Bridge implementation.
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_KatanaV2.pdf

It's CC# compatible with the earlier version.
I had to do a compromise regarding the Patch and Global EQ since I'm running out of CC#, hence they share CC# and you will have to first select what EQ to operate on using CC#1.

Hm..anybody have a suggestion on how the new problem with "not storing custom FX chain in patch" in KATANA V2 can be managed? Extending CC# 23 EFFECT CHAIN ORDER (0-2) with a bunch of other volatile/none stored FX chain orders?

The only remaining free CC# are 41,42 and 89.

rolandvg99

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 05, 2017, 03:33:15 PM

I had to do a compromise regarding the Patch and Global EQ since I'm running out of CC#, hence they share CC# and you will have to first select what EQ to operate on using CC#1.

Hm..anybody have a suggestion on how the new problem with "not storing custom FX chain in patch" in KATANA V2 can be managed? Extending CC# 23 EFFECT CHAIN ORDER (0-2) with a bunch of other volatile/none stored FX chain orders?

Awesome, Robert!
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 05, 2017, 03:33:15 PM

As always, your ability to crank out code is awe-inspiring!  I was actually of the impression that even the v1 amps were unable to store FX chain order.  I've tried many times to "set" this with Gumtown's editor and they never seem to persist.

rolandvg99

V1 stored custom fx chain order inside the channel presets, but not in panel mode. V2 even resets channels after a power cycle. V2 saves custom fx order and let you switch between channels as long as the power is not turned off.

CodeSmart

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 06, 2017, 06:46:03 AM
V1 stored custom fx chain order inside the channel presets, but not in panel mode. V2 even resets channels after a power cycle. V2 saves custom fx order and let you switch between channels as long as the power is not turned off.

Thanks all for the input. I have a gig tomorrow so I'm tied up this weekend. Back soon.

CodeSmart

Sorry for the delay. War departement broke her left leg walking the all mighty Horse in the forrest three weeks ago and I find myself doing all kind of domestic stuff instead of doing progress in coding. However I'm gaining expertise in laundry, house cleaning and various other things. Please stay tuned...

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 14, 2017, 02:14:33 PM
Sorry for the delay. War departement broke her left leg walking the all mighty Horse in the forrest three weeks ago and I find myself doing all kind of domestic stuff instead of doing progress in coding. However I'm gaining expertise in laundry, house cleaning and various other things. Please stay tuned...

Ouch!  I hope your better half heals quickly :-).

CodeSmart

The new bridge for Katana V2 bridge is about 90% done. Also found some issues with MIDX-20 and Katana V2 initial negotiations that has been resolved.

Finally I will see if I can throw in some way to cover up for the effect order issues with Katana V2... :P

By a user request I'm also going to add a new CC translation making it possible to convert from any CC <nn> <0-127>
to PC <0-127>

This allows a controller to send CC but the target device sees Program Change instead for patch changes.

rolandvg99

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 16, 2017, 05:27:21 PM
The new bridge for Katana V2 bridge is about 90% done. Also found some issues with MIDX-20 and Katana V2 initial negotiations that has been resolved.

Finally I will see if I can throw in some way to cover up for the effect order issues with Katana V2... :P

By a user request I'm also going to add a new CC translation making it possible to convert from any CC <nn> <0-127>
to PC <0-127>

This allows a controller to send CC but the target device sees Program Change instead for patch changes.

You, Sir, are a genius.  8)

CodeSmart

The simplest way (less code) to handle the dreaded FX chain problem I can think of is this:
PC# 1-9 : works as normal (Panel+8 patches)
PC# 11-19 : as 1-9, but after changing patch, fx chain is rearranged according to Layout 1
PC# 21-29 : as 1-9, but after changing patch, fx chain is rearranged according to Layout 2
PC# 31-39 : as 1-9, but after changing patch, fx chain is rearranged according to Layout 3
PC# 41-49 : as 1-9, but after changing patch, fx chain is rearranged according to Layout 4
Etc...

Now hit me with the most 11 common alteration of FX1 chain order for Layout1-Layout11  8)

If I'm lucky, I'll just maybe come up with a programmable PC Translation thingy to translate certain PC's to another PC's, thus making it possible to re-map PC 1-9 to other PC's (with modded Layouts)

... or Boss release a new version that saves the fx chain again...that would be the best.

rolandvg99

My most used custom chains from V1 with added FX from V2.:

1. EQ->VOL->FX->MOD->OD->NS->DLY->DLY2->REV->AMP->GLOBEQ->LOOP
2. EQ->VOL->FX->MOD->OD->NS->AMP->LOOP->DLY->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ
3. EQ->VOL->MOD->OD->LOOP->AMP->NS->FX->DLY->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ
4. EQ->MOD->FX->OD->DLY->AMP->NS->VOL->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ->LOOP

CodeSmart

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 17, 2017, 07:13:05 PM
My most used custom chains from V1 with added FX from V2.:
1. EQ->VOL->FX->MOD->OD->NS->DLY->DLY2->REV->AMP->GLOBEQ->LOOP
2. EQ->VOL->FX->MOD->OD->NS->AMP->LOOP->DLY->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ
3. EQ->VOL->MOD->OD->LOOP->AMP->NS->FX->DLY->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ
4. EQ->MOD->FX->OD->DLY->AMP->NS->VOL->DLY2->REV->GLOBEQ->LOOP

Thanks, if I got you correctly you find your chains here as 'Asle1-4'.
I also took Boss standard chains with global EQ at the end and flipped MOD/BOST and DLY/FX (here called 'Flipped 1-3').
Any other useful chain ideas from someone?

BTS/Katana V2 supports only three FX chain layouts with an option to put the global EQ either at the input or the output. What we try to do here is to cover up for the  fact that V2 does not seem to store or care about stored manual arrangements using the Gumtown Katana floorboard editor. Here I'm trying to add virtual patches to the MIDX. When a virtual patch is selected, it will first change to one of the standard patches 1-9 and then immediately re-arrange the FX chain on-the-fly to a hardcoded layout in the MIDX.

It would be very easy for them to fix this in the firmware. When the global EQ is moved, they just could have shifted the existing content to left/right and then insert the GEQ in the free slot.

Dear Mr. Boss please kindly fix this problem.  :-*

vtgearhead

Just to show that every man has his own preferences, I would tend to use:

BOOST MOD AMP EQ NS FX DLY FVOL DLY2 REV S/R GEQ

If you have room for it, would be great! 

Elantric

If I play surf - I replicate 60's surf rig - with a few options for blues covers  - so signal chain is

REV OD Mod Boost NS Amp FV Loop DLY DLY 2 GEQ   

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2017, 05:54:00 PM
If I play surf - I replicate 60's surf rig - with a few options for blues covers  - so signal chain is

REV OD Mod Boost NS Amp FV Loop DLY DLY 2 GEQ
Elantric can you please elaborate you chain.
1. What do you mean by OD, is that FX?
2. Where do you wish to put patch EQ?

There are 12 available slots and these are the Katana bricks:
GEQ AMP NS FVOL EQ S/R BOST MOD DLY FX DLY2 RVB