GR-55 - One CTL is not enough?

Started by flyingb, February 18, 2016, 02:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingb

I have a lot to learn, but I am managing. I am not bothering the forum with things I have to work on.

So.

My main problem now is the lack of physical controls on the GR-55.

I explain it with a simple example:

I need to switch the delay on and of and have a tap tempo. Switching the delay happens A LOT of times in a single song (sometimes once for bar!) and must be performed quickly.

But if I assign the switch funcion to the CTL pedal, I lose the only chance to have a comfortable way to have a tamp tempo, since using CTL for that seems to me the only way.

The only possibility I see is using an external floor midi controller with some switches in order to use CCs to do things.

Bottom line: for what I understand, assigns can do a LOT of things, but... one CTL is not enough.

Anybody with the same problem?

(yesterday, during rehersals, I simply duplicated a patch. One with delay off, the other one with delay on and CTL configured for tap tempo. I don't like it for a lot of reasons, last but not least the fact that switching between the two gives me that 200 ms silence)

hading

You've discovered one of the biggest complaints about the GR-55.

In your case you might be able to use the EXP pedal toe switch to switch the delay. That should also be available as an assign source. If you do that you may need to be careful that the actual pedal isn't doing anything different when on and off (e.g. a common use for the exp pedal is volume when off and wah when on - you probably want to make sure that's not happening).

This switch is a little bit clunkier to operate (even when well calibrated) than the CTL switch, but it's there as an option for you.

You can also assign things to the two buttons (and knob) on the GK pickup, but that has obvious usability problems of its own and whether it works heavily depends on the context. Sometimes I would put the tap there, but it wasn't something I would need to change up while I was playing.

gumtown

External midi pedals/foot switches are required,
ones that send midi cc# control which can be used with the GR-55's Assigns.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Williams

I use a Rocktron MidiMate. It is a very full featured midi pedal with a relatively small footprint. I use it with a GP-10 and a US-20 and most of it is controlled with the MidiMate.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Autana

Quote from: Jim Williams on February 18, 2016, 12:34:28 PM
I use a Rocktron MidiMate. It is a very full featured midi pedal with a relatively small footprint. I use it with a GP-10 and a US-20 and most of it is controlled with the MidiMate.

Despite such disappointing aspects we love our GR-55's. Indeed. But even some cheaps footstomp fx boxes  allow to combine the use of the pedals for other functions, not only preset change. Choosing one at random, the relatively inexpensive Digitech RP355 let the user to switch between Stompbox and Preset modes easily.

QuoteThe RP355 has a "stompbox mode" that you access by pressing the two rightmost footswitches at the same time. In this mode, the left footswitch is an on/off switch for distortion; the middle footswitch turns whatever modulation effect (such as pitch shifting, chorus, flange, rotary, vibrato, tremolo, etc.) is programmed into the patch on and off; and the rightmost footswitch turns delay on and off.....This is unbelievably cool. It makes every patch in the RP that much more flexible and musical. I'm using this feature a lot lately. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a try. 
www.hunterharp.com/rp-tip-7-stompbox-mode-is-amazing/

GP-10, although dismissed MIDI access, feature double action switches and extra EXP/CTL 3,4. Which can be more than enough for many users who only require a few more controls. And is Boss, supposed to be the Roland humble brother.

For GR-55 alt control there are more options out there, Jim Williams solution for example. Sometimes I use an old ART X11 MIDI Master Control just for bank/preset switching and the S1/S2 jack of Primova GKFX-21 for efx or whatever. I am planning to use a minilaptop and my Line 6 Shortboard MKII, Nanokontrol2 Nanopads etc and BOME MIDI Translator for more sophisticated control options via USB. Actually I have MIDI and sys ex maps sets in NanoKontrol for GR-55 and PG-10.

Finally the best and most impressive helping resource beyond everything is VGuitarforums and the amazing skilled people behind.

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

gumtown

Quote from: Autana on February 18, 2016, 01:03:50 PMSometimes I use an old ART X11 MIDI Master Control just for bank/preset switching

Ha Ha !! I still have one of those, although it be a bit rusty now after nearly 30 years, I don't use it anymore.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Autana

Quote from: gumtown on February 18, 2016, 01:10:06 PM
Ha Ha !! I still have one of those, although it be a bit rusty now after nearly 30 years, I don't use it anymore.

He he Gumtown, sure! mine is 25 years with me, only use it sometimes, I don't know if for pity or necessity  ;D  What I do indeed know is that X-11 is my only footboard that is "power supply open mind". If you have one you know what I mean
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Chrisfromiowa

Did the art x-11 work out of the box? I've got the gr-30 and am trying to figure it out. Thanks C

tonygardner

In response to having the CTL serve as both a Delay Switch and as a Tap Tempo, I came up with an intriguing method to pull that off.

Obviously, this isn't for everyone, but I figured that it was better to share than to keep it to myself.

First, I set the CTL to Tap Tempo. Second, a use one of my 8 assigns to also set the CTL to Delay Switch (Toggle).

Now, all I have to do it remember to do my Tap Tempo taps in PAIRS. This makes sense to me since I usually do it with four taps for songs in 4/4. Waltzes are a little more tricky, so I have to use six taps.

To turn the Delay Switch OFF, I do one tap. One tap to turn it back ON, then I'm back to double taps.

Now if only I could put the Tap Tempo on one of the Assigns, then I could set the CTL to LED Toggle!

gumtown

Quote from: Autana on February 18, 2016, 01:50:54 PMWhat I do indeed know is that X-11 is my only footboard that is "power supply open mind". If you have one you know what I mean
It is very cool how it will accept a wide voltage up to 30v A.C or any polarity DC.
(bridge rectifier and 7809 regulator).

QuoteDid the art x-11 work out of the box? I've got the gr-30 and am trying to figure it out. Thanks C
It should, the ART X11 only does patch change with a midi out 5 pin port.
As I remember correctly, to change midi channel (1~16), you hold down the two outer buttons to set the channel.
Powered on it is channel 1 by default.