RPI - Add MIDI I/O to Boss GP-10, Simple Raspberry Pi Setup

Started by MusicOverGear, August 09, 2014, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Woah, here's an announcement for another Win 8.1 tablet, priced new at $149!  Who knows how cheap these will be when they start turning up as refurbs, etc.  At these kind of prices, even failed, soon-to-be-unsupported products have considerable utility value:

http://techreport.com/news/26987/this-8-windows-8-1-tablet-will-cost-only-149

maan108

Quote from: Elantric on August 09, 2014, 04:25:43 PM

2) AND SIMULTANEOULSLY have a MIDI Output so the GP-10's Guitar to MIDI feature can trigger external hardware Synth using 5pin DIN MIDI !

Hallo !
I've deeply read all PI related message. I'am sorry but I've been a little bit lost around them !
Please , can you kindly tell me if the GP10 + PI stuff  is , at the end, able  to drive an HW synth with 5din Midi input , as you asked ???
However many thanks to all that have contribute to this matter for the great and wonderfull work done to configure th PI and its option  !

Maan108

Elantric

QuotePlease , can you kindly tell me if the GP10 + PI stuff  is , at the end, able  to drive an HW synth with 5din Midi input , as you asked ???

Yes - it works, although the added MIDI Note on / off latency due to the Raspberry Pi connection has yet to be measured

Frankster

That little Win8 tablet caught my attention, I'm a .NET programmer and it wouldn't be too difficult to make a program to route GP-10 MIDI to something like my Novation Xio synth.

Elantric

gumtown

I seem to recall Windows 8 Rt doesn't support midi, neither would it support Boss/Roland USB without drivers installed,
unless running the full version of Windows 8.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Frankster

The MIDI Mapper isn't a problem, as long as the devices are installed then I can send MIDI to them. If Win RT doesn't support MIDI though then that's a bigger problem!

Elantric

QuoteIf Win RT doesn't support MIDI though then that's a bigger problem!

Nobody here is talking about Windows RT ( thats a brain dead OS that should be avoided at all costs IMHO)

This Dell Venue 8 here below is a genuine x86 based Win 8.1 Tablet for $145

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dell-Venue-8-Pro-32GB-Tablet-8-inch-Intel-Atom-Z3740D-1-Yr-Warranty-Win-8-1-/171436335113?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item27ea66e009

Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB Tablet 8" inch/Intel Atom Z3740D/1 Yr Warranty/Win 8.1  - $145

glennfin

This "dummy" would really appreciate that!!  ;D

This is EXACTLY what I need....

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 10, 2014, 10:26:57 AM
No worries,

We just need to make a document for dummies and explain each step in details , from taking the Raspberry Pi out of the box, to connecting recommended USB MIDI cable, and  make both essentially become part of Boss GP-10, and provide 100% the same functionality as the 5pin MIDI I/O on the Roland VG-99. From MIDI INPUT using external 5 pin MIDI controllers to MIDI OUTPUT for driving external MIDI tone generators/ keyboard synthetic via 5 pin MIDI.

The big news is this does work, we can create a dummies document walk thru for all steps.

thebrushwithin

QuoteThis "dummy" would really appreciate that!!  ;D

This is EXACTLY what I need....

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 10, 2014, 11:26:57 AM

No worries,

We just need to make a document for dummies and explain each step in details , from taking the Raspberry Pi out of the box, to connecting recommended USB MIDI cable, and  make both essentially become part of Boss GP-10, and provide 100% the same functionality as the 5pin MIDI I/O on the Roland VG-99. From MIDI INPUT using external 5 pin MIDI controllers to MIDI OUTPUT for driving external MIDI tone generators/ keyboard synthetic via 5 pin MIDI.

The big news is this does work, we can create a dummies document walk thru for all steps.

+1 So would I. :)

mbenigni

I wrote earlier about about a $129 Windows 8 tablet, but accidentally deleted the post:

QuoteWell, this is just getting ridiculous.  Pretty soon they'll be giving these away with purchase of a large coffee...

Well, reality keeps closing in on my joke:  http://techreport.com/news/27125/chinese-vendor-preps-81-tablet-with-bay-trail-and-windows-8

Another easy (and increasingly affordable) way to get a GP-10 USB driver running on stage.

glennfin

Could someone please explain to me...... what would be the advantage of running this tablet? Would this eliminate the need for a Raspberry PI?...   If that's the case, wouldn't the tablet need 2 USB ports? one for the GP-10 and the other to run a USB to MIDI interface/adapter? ....and will the Roland USB driver work on this tablet? .. in addition to the USB/MIDI interface/adapter driver?
???

Quote from: mbenigni on September 30, 2014, 07:09:32 AM
I wrote earlier about about a $129 Windows 8 tablet, but accidentally deleted the post:

Well, reality keeps closing in on my joke:  http://techreport.com/news/27125/chinese-vendor-preps-81-tablet-with-bay-trail-and-windows-8

Another easy (and increasingly affordable) way to get a GP-10 USB driver running on stage.

mbenigni

Quote from: glennfin on September 30, 2014, 07:44:05 AM
Could someone please explain to me...... what would be the advantage of running this tablet? Would this eliminate the need for a Raspberry PI?...   If that's the case, wouldn't the tablet need 2 USB ports? one for the GP-10 and the other to run a USB to MIDI interface/adapter? ....and will the Roland USB driver work on this tablet? .. in addition to the USB/MIDI interface/adapter driver?
???

I can explain:  yes, it would eliminate the need for the Raspberry Pi.  Since it runs Windows 8, it will also run the GP-10 driver that Roland has provided.

But you mention the caveat that I also wrote about in the post I accidentally deleted:  these tiny tablets generally only have one mini or micro-USB port.  If so, you'll need a USB hub of some kind, which is a little bit inelegant.  But if you're creative and find something small and tuck it away in the right place...

As you may gather, I'm shying away from the idea of running a Raspberry PI in my rig.  While it's arguably more robust than running a Windows device (whose operating system is complete overkill and something of a liability), Windows is more of a "devil I know".  More importantly, if I'm going to bring a little computer on stage - spooky enough in the first place - I'm going to need it to have a screen and input device of its own in case something goes wrong.  And with that touchscreen present, I can imagine other applications arising, e.g. using the tablet itself as a MIDI controller of some kind.  Lastly, these little tablets include their own rechargeable batteries.

Elantric

QuoteAs you may gather, I'm shying away from the idea of running a Raspberry PI in my rig.  While it's arguably more robust than running a Windows device (whose operating system is complete overkill and something of a liability), Windows is more of a "devil I know".  More importantly, if I'm going to bring a little computer on stage - spooky enough in the first place - I'm going to need it to have a screen and input device of its own in case something goes wrong.  And with that touchscreen present, I can imagine other applications arising, e.g. using the tablet itself as a MIDI controller of some kind.  Lastly, these little tablets include their own rechargeable batteries.

Just remember the performance of any sub $300 Tablet will be lacking and far below your old MS Surface Pro, ( so forget about using Cantable or any another VSTI Host) and any Tablet PC display smaller than 1366x768 will not be able to run many Editors  - I recall Boss Tone Studio needs  1366x768 minimum

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on September 30, 2014, 09:11:54 AM
Just remember the performance of any sub $300 Tablet will be lacking and far below your old MS Surface Pro, ( so forget about using Cantable or any another VSTI Host) and any Tablet PC display smaller than 1366x768 will not be able to run many Editors  - I recall Boss Tone Studio needs  1366x768 minimum

Of course.  I really wouldn't expect an $80 Windows tablet to do much more than run the GP-10 driver in the background for me.  Anything else would be icing.

glennfin

Once I have the PI setup and successfully running Loulea's image, I'm going to mount it in a box along with the USB/MIDI adapter and DIY "Mitch Switch" amp channel switcher. My goal is to have an all-in-one-box solution with just one on/off power switch.
I'll probably also add a simple MIDI thru circuit so I can also drive a MIDI sound module in the future.

I thought about the tablet solution but it will probably be more troublesome in the long run.

Quote from: mbenigni on September 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AM
I can explain:  yes, it would eliminate the need for the Raspberry Pi.  Since it runs Windows 8, it will also run the GP-10 driver that Roland has provided.

But you mention the caveat that I also wrote about in the post I accidentally deleted:  these tiny tablets generally only have one mini or micro-USB port.  If so, you'll need a USB hub of some kind, which is a little bit inelegant.  But if you're creative and find something small and tuck it away in the right place...

As you may gather, I'm shying away from the idea of running a Raspberry PI in my rig.  While it's arguably more robust than running a Windows device (whose operating system is complete overkill and something of a liability), Windows is more of a "devil I know".  More importantly, if I'm going to bring a little computer on stage - spooky enough in the first place - I'm going to need it to have a screen and input device of its own in case something goes wrong.  And with that touchscreen present, I can imagine other applications arising, e.g. using the tablet itself as a MIDI controller of some kind.  Lastly, these little tablets include their own rechargeable batteries.

Vade

I've been wondering about this whole Raspberry Pi vs. laptop/tablet question as well. The FTP + iConnectmidi4 + non-usb compliant hub + iPad mini + Raspberry just strikes me as less powerful and more likely to fail than a Macbook. But if i go with MacBook then I need to buy all the software as well; an expensive proposition all in all. Then there's the whole Surface Pro route which would allow me to use some of the software I already own at the price of an arguably inferior interface. I've been waiting to see if the Windows 9 10 beta might provide some relief in that regard and that's on tap for today if the rumors pan out. So at the moment I've no clear plan for the synth/sample/control software leg of my rig. Lots more questions than answers at the moment.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

mbenigni

Quote from: Vade on September 30, 2014, 09:42:44 AM
Then there's the whole Surface Pro route which would allow me to use some of the software I already own at the price of an arguably inferior interface. I've been waiting to see if the Windows 9 10 beta might provide some relief in that regard and that's on tap for today if the rumors pan out. So at the moment I've no clear plan for the synth/sample/control software leg of my rig. Lots more questions than answers at the moment.

My Surface Pro experience is a couple of generations stale now, but I don't imagine anything has changed substantially.  I would caution against spending premium money on a Surface Pro.  Yes, the hardware is faster and the screen aspect ratio has changed (a very good improvement FWIW) but the real problems haven't been addressed:  legacy Windows apps are simply unusable on a tablet, and the Modern UI concept never took off, so there aren't many (if any) useful music applications that are optimized for the touchscreen.  I haven't heard anything about Windows 9 yet.  If it provides full screen, realtime zoom and pan in legacy (x86) Windows mode, there may be some hope.  Until then, someone who wants a tablet experience is better off with a dedicated tablet that runs apps purpose built for that environment.

Not to say a Windows tablet can't be useful, just saying the experience isn't worth $1000+ yet.

QuoteThe FTP + iConnectmidi4 + non-usb compliant hub + iPad mini + Raspberry just strikes me as less powerful

Not really sure what scenario would call for all of those components at once.  But for my own purposes, having tried and failed with all kinds of stuff over the past few years (decades, but much of that is irrelevant now) I'd lean toward an iPad or a MacBook, and whatever bits and bobs are required get those connected to your preferred VG device (and/or FTP).  This is coming from a previous die-hard PC geek.

Vade

@Not really sure what scenario would call for all of those components at once.

I'm still exploring the possibilities of my rig but at the moment my rig is centered around the Voicelive3 (VL3) + Boss GP-10 (GP-10) and to that I wish to add synths/samples and control elements while away from my PC DAW. Things like Z3TA+, Omnisphere, Sampletank, Setlist maker; it's not the particular apps but the capabilities I'm interested in. So, if I wish to use my GP-10 effectively in an ios environment then I need a Raspberry rig. My iConnectmidi4+ then allows me to have midi flows between the VL3, GP-10, (Softstep2), and ios while simultaneously charging the ios device. Hmmm... now how do I add my FTP if I want the best string to midi tracking? Add a usb hub to the iConnectmidi4+ which is sadly not usb compliant. But now getting regular 1/4" jack output into ios/bias presents a new challenge. It all seems such a kludge compared to using a Macbook but even then I need to use ios with splashtop if I want to escape mouse/pad and keyboard. So then Surface Pro presents itself as easier and cheaper than Macbook and all new software but could it be made to work? I'm aware of your extended efforts in that regard although I'm a bit fuzzy on all the problems you had in a Windows environment. So I look at all that and...

I usually decide to go work on something else for awhile.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

mbenigni

If you could get ahold of one, this might be another interesting option for bolting Roland's USB driver onto the GP-10:

http://techreport.com/news/27228/this-mini-bay-trail-pc-is-the-size-of-a-thumb-drive

Two micro-USB ports, and one full size male USB jack.  Not sure, but the latter might plug directly into the back of a GP10, allowing you to hang a USB-to-MIDI cable off one of the micro ports and be done with it.  Absolutely crazy form factor.

Elantric

QuoteIf you could get ahold of one, this might be another interesting option for bolting Roland's USB driver onto the GP-10:

Here's a few alternate form factor PCs that all run the GP-10 USB drivers  - add a USB hub and a USb to MIDI cable and you have GP-10 to 5 pin MIDI I/O
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413568130&sr=8-1&keywords=nuc+dn2820fykh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Iconia-W3-810-Tablet-8-Intel-Atom-Z2760-2GB-RAM-32GB-Win8-Office-2013-/201158244271?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2ed5f737af

But the $35 Raspberry Pi performs the same task of" GP-10 to 5 pin MIDI I/O" 

mbenigni

QuoteHer's a few alternate form factor PCs that all run the GP-10 USB drivers... But the $35 Raspberry Pi performs the same task of" GP-10 to 5 pin MIDI I/O" 

Understood, but did you click the link?  This PC is the size of a large thumb drive!  Very convenient.  (I was wrong about the potential for plugging the male USB port into the back of the GP-10 directly, though - that's actually a male HDMI.  So a short micro USB to USB cable would be required.  Also not sure where it gets power.)

BackDAWman

I used my PI at a gig last Sunday on the back of a Semi. It was hot and my gear, including the PI were sitting on the hot metal floor of the trailer.

It never missed a beat!

Also I have the Rasbian config on mine without the R/O set up. I have been happily switching it off and on with no problems.

Elantric

Good to hear the RPI is robust and holds up under harsh environments!

glennfin

Not trying to be a wise guy but how do you know the NUC will run the GP-10 drivers? in addition to the USB to MIDI device driver?
Will it power-up - power-down and run in a live setup without a monitor and keyboard?.... Trying to understand the advantage of this over a cheap laptop...

Quote from: Elantric on October 17, 2014, 10:50:55 AM

Here's a few alternate form factor PCs that all run the GP-10 USB drivers  - add a USB hub and a USb to MIDI cable and you have GP-10 to 5 pin MIDI I/O
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413568130&sr=8-1&keywords=nuc+dn2820fykh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Iconia-W3-810-Tablet-8-Intel-Atom-Z2760-2GB-RAM-32GB-Win8-Office-2013-/201158244271?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2ed5f737af

But the $35 Raspberry Pi performs the same task of" GP-10 to 5 pin MIDI I/O"