Gittler GK13 Superior Cable (WITH a right angle connector) NOW SHIPPING!

Started by sashua, May 09, 2014, 10:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sashua

http://www.amazon.com/Gittler-Synth-Guitar-13-pin-Roland/dp/B00PIUMBS6/
Gittler Instruments is proud to announce our release of a new, better engineered D13 cable.

We were tired of buying very poor quality cables to use with our instruments and felt that our customers deserved something that was consistent with the superior MIDI tracking guitar that we sell.

The cable is 1/4" Dia. and contains 13 conductors of 26 AWG high purity 99.95% OFHC Copper in a braided Aluminum shield. Ends are locking, assembly-type with GOLD PLATED pins and grounding to barrel - and here's the best part...one end is a right angle so it get's out of the way when you want it to. You can check out the diagram for specific pin orientation and I can post some pictures on Monday when I am back at the office. This is a very high quality cable that we designed to preserve the integrity of the audio signal and you will notice the difference!

We offer the cable in both a 12 ft. length for $64.95 and an 18 ft. length for $79.95 and it is NOW SHIPPING

Go to www.gittlerinstruments and get yours while they last!

Russ Rubman
Gittler Instruments LLC

rolandvg99

Looks exiting! Is that angled plugg latch or no-latch?
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Rhcole

I'm interested.

sashua

whippinpost91850

Been waiting for one. Have you done anything special for ground connection and is the straight connector locking?

sashua

What do you mean by "special"? It's grounded to barrel and has an Aluminum braid shielding. Very low noise floor. Both ends are locking.

whippinpost91850

what about possibility of 2 right angle plugs? Grounding using just the connector shell has allways been somewhat problamatic with noise and static

Elantric

QuoteWhat do you mean by "special"? It's grounded and has an Aluminum braid shielding. Very low noise floor. Neither end is locking.

There is not much that can be done with cables to improve Ground. (While GK-13 Female DIN jacks are another story! - see below)

But there is a difference in the Male Plug type with respect to the design implementation of the 13 pins

DIN13 Male plug with Superior Machined Pins

vs Stamped folded metal Pins as used on recent Roland GR-55 13pin cables (these are really bad quality)

Suggest read the excellent article  / interview of Richard McClish of RMC pickups
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8187.0
Quote13-pin DIN Connectors and Cables

The DIN-13 is not a military or medical connector by any means. For Roland at the time, the new and simpler format was a cost-cutting measure and a size-reduction of the previous 24-pin nightmare. This connector is based on the circular DIN series which is very appropriate for home entertainment and laboratory use (where people read manuals, take their time, have sufficient lighting and gently wipe things a lot . . .) but leaves to be desired in sturdiness when a team of Godzillas are running wild in front of a wall of Marshalls and mild explosives. Fortunately, heavy metal activists usually aren't great MIDI guitar affictionados and most of us can survive with the current connector.

Unfortunately however, I recently found out that there's a new (and cheaper) DIN-13 cable plug on the market and Pacific Rim cable manufacturers are using it a lot. It has stamped pins whereas the previous one had machined round pins which were much stiffer, straighter and rounder, and didn't grab the insides of the DIN jack.

You see, the stamped pin is actually a piece of sheet metal that's been folded into a tube by a huge automated tool. That's fine unless the forming of the end of the pin is incomplete (an overlooked tool & die problem) and there are three or four little prongs ready to bite into anything that doesn't align perfectly with the pin or has a surface which is softer than the pin material. This condition is visible with a little magnification (or younger eyes, more light, whatever . . ).

I can't do much about curing this plug problem, other than caution users to be smart and gentle when connecting these cables. Inspect the parts before you mate them for the first time. Make sure the pins are straight and that the point isn't bigger than the pin (miniature filing contests may arise). Don't force the plug into the jack. If the plug won't go in all the way into the jack and/or won't lock in place, check for an obstructed receptacle (hole) in the jack. A paper clip or other piece of wire (with a rounded end, please . . ) can be used to check the state of each receptacle and gifted individuals have been known to sometimes open the obstruction. I know this is surgical in nature, and don't mess with it if this is not your idea of fun.

I don't want to upset anybody. If your gear works, then you don't have to worry about it. It's simply something you're better off knowing about in a timely manner.

For strain relief, I suggest looping the cable around the strap or something equally subtle to prevent tugging on the connector when a foot is misplaced or other significant pull force is exerted on the cable during a performance. I believe there's a good opportunity here for marketing a guitar accessory. As a matter of fact, don't hesitate to post product ideas. We all benefit in the long run.

For reference:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

Remember the GK-13 interface is flawed IMHO - using only ONE Ground Connection for all Analog signals , +7V/-7V distributed Power Supply Reference, and Control Voltage reference, using Only the large round chrome circular Shell on the DIN 13 connector for the crucial ELECTRICAL GROUND  connection to the GK-3.

The "achilles heel" weakest link is the tiny mating electrical contact finger for the large round Shell  'Ground" connection on the female 13 pin jacks on your guitar, GK-3 or  VG-99, GR-55. If this important electrical connection is flaky - you will have problems just as you are currently experiencing ! (see yellow circle below)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4262.msg29539#msg29539

Also -try to locate a spare GK-3 and different 13 pin cable and see if those correct the problems you are experiencing.

This video explains all the above problems.

A few folks modify all their 13 pin gear to use pin #9 as a 2nd Ground connection, but that voids your warranty.

All Metal Chassis Mount Female 13 pin DIN jacks solve this Intermittent Ground issue due to a 360 degree all metal contact area for the Male plug.

Gumbo sells a version that accepts the Roland locking plugs here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

FreeTime

What I'd like to see is gold plating on the pins,both jack and socket.

thebrushwithin

I'm interested.

habious

I'm interested.

I'll be ordering one of each length when they're released.

Thanks!
-  Greg Custom Guitars "KARMA"
-  FretLight FG-421 (factory Ghost-equipped)
-  Steinberger GL7TA (non-GK)
(all guitars are lefties!)

-  VG-99
-  VGA-7 (for gigs)
-  Line6 SpiderValve MkII 212

Big Jim

I would buy a least one 20' cable. probably a few more once I am satisfied.

GuitarBuilder

Count me in for one 12' cable.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

rolandvg99

I'm in for the long one.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

OldGuitarDude

Ditto on the long one.

whippinpost91850

Count me in for two

Rhcole

Would like to see a picture of the right-angle plug so I can estimate spacing for a couple of projects.

billbax

Hi Sashua,

A cable specification would be appreciated.  Perhaps a resistance and capacitance comparison with a 3M Roland cable. A 2M Roland cable has a resistance of around 0.30 ohms, and a OFC cable with a generous amount of copper, offers a resistance as low as 0.08 ohms.

I am very interested in the screen properties too.  Can you post a photo of the cable broken down into its component parts...cable anatomy I suppose? If your cable does offer a better screen/shield, it still will not be able to prevent cable movement noise.  The annoying cable noise can only be remedied by screening each signal core, and doing so would make the cable diameter around 15-18mm. 

I think we're all looking for an improved 13P cable, so can you please post some facts and evidence?

Here's my take on the cable by the way.  Regards, Bill

sashua

Hello Bill,

Your cable is obviously a far superior creation but, honestly, I am not looking to re-invent the wheel here...just make a few small improvements to an existing design that is mediocre in function.
I have not taken any of the measurements you request. In addition, I only have two cables in my possession at the moment, so cutting them up isn't really something I want to do just yet. These are prototypes supplied as pre-tooled first articles. I have the liberty now to make some small changes before committing to a 1000 piece minimum order.

For instance....I can coat the pins with gold or I can change the connectors to locking ones.

Personally, I am not a fan of the locking connectors and I don't know that Gold will make any real world difference but I am very open to the people here weighing in on the subject. I want to produce what people want to buy and so I hope that many of you will weigh in here.

Please take a look at the attached picture.

sashua

Would also like to know if 12 ft. and 18 ft. are, indeed, the two most desired lengths.

Not looking for personal favorites here but trying to determine what the two most popular lengths might be if I can only choose two.

thebrushwithin

Locking is preferred for me, on both ends. I will be interested in the 12ft. Length, but I can understand the 18ft. will also be popular. You also may wish to consider a right angle version of the latest GKP2 cables, as they already seem popular, before their release.

billbax

Hi Sashua,

Thanks for the photo and angle on the new cable.  Gold plated pins sound like a good idea, and will help fight the oxidation war.  One 13P right-angled and one straight sounds like the best of both worlds to me?  How about a plastic cap accessory to fit over each connector when not in use? This would help further minimize oxidation, dust and debris.  I use small electronic component bags to cover my connectors btw.

Can the connector be disassembled for easy maintenance etc?  How about providing a spare 13P connector as part of the package - should only add 2-3$ to the price?  In an ideal world, it should be possible to maintain a 13P cable for several years or so.

Best of luck,

Bill

ProgMystic

I like the look of it and certainly would love a right angle connector, but I would prefer locking connectors both ends as well. The long one would be my choice.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Philip

my favourite would be: one side angled, one side straight, both sides locking. Length: I use 3 and 5 and 10, depending on situation.
I don't mind if connector pins are gold-coated or not.
Main gear: Godin Freeway SA with Graph Tech stuff, Telecaster lite ash with Graph Tech stuff, G-Sharp with GK-3a, Ibanez Gio Mikro with GK-Kit-GT, GR-55's (plural), Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Amplitube 3 on Macbook Pro, Line6 POD HD500, 2x FRFR RCF 310A

Elantric

It would appear you are using  molded in" 13pin DIN male plugs on each end of the cable - if this is true its important to mention this "feature"  to buyers..