GR-55 newbie - before I even buy it

Started by functionband, November 05, 2016, 12:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

functionband

So few things before I even buy this! (I did download the manual but its a bit sparse)

Getting away while my function band is practising with a zoom g1on , can I:

- get rid of the g1on i.e. use the gr-55 as a fairly decent multi fx pedal for my PRS 24 se.

- Be able to use one of the footswitches to switch from acoustic (ish) guitar to lead ("thinking out load" ed sheeran) (lead sound at start and kick in at 3:33). In general for most songs so far all I've needed to do is turn on/off an effect (typically overdrive) in the chain with a pedal.

- Or even better, looks like this thing can toggle anything I like (in one patch), e.g. go from guitar + 1 lots of fx to modelled guitar + synths in a click of a button (or expression pedal)

- with Stevie Wonders' "superstition" - have a light clav sound (so I can get away with some ghost notes!) under my funky guitar strumming and then shock the band in rehearsals when I add some power brass with a footswitch/pedal (at 50 seconds here ) . So with our bass player and keys guy playing the funky clav hook from the start, can I cover all the other instruments!

clue's in the name, I don't need studio quality.

Elantric

There are pros and cons to the GR-55

All points of view are expressed in a few important threads worth reading which are stickies at the top of the board at link below
GR-55 General Discussion
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=60.0

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

GR-55 1st Impressions
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3020.0

Why I returned the GR-55 and went Retro
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7472.0

I often play in a Trio ( I'm the only Guitarist with a Bass player and Drummer) and often there is spontaneity and improvisation to "decorate the room" during my solos  - Unique for each gig, and this has benefit of cultivating  a bit of local following when fans of my playing show up to hear my band.

I demand my FX respond instantly to my touch and allow me to "read the room" and deliver the goods for my fans, or convert a room full of strangers into new fans - its show biz

The GR-55 fresh out of the box can amaze with all its wide array of sounds, synths, orchestral tones.

But there are rough spots that will require "work-arounds"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=61.0

The big hurdle for GR-55 at gigs is upon every patch  change there exists a long muted gap of silence ( 250 ms ) that occurs upon each sluggish GR-55 patch change.
( it takes time to load new patch data into the DSP)

This is due to the GR-55 CPU being a bit overworked for the task, and explains long mute (gap in all audio) during patch change, and why the GR-55 lacks External Control Inputs. Those External Control pedals would burden the GR-55's CPU even more.   

the workaround is stay on one custom patch for the whole song, and use the GR-55 onboard Expression pedal to "morph" between all the tones you need.

Guitarplayer_10's  GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patch  - programming explained step by step
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7267.msg50612#msg50612

If you use the (2011) Roland GR-55 for guitar to MIDI using a laptop - "on paper" it seems this should work fine for live shows, but know that same " long muted gap of silence ( 250 ms ) that occurs upon each sluggish GR-55 patch change." will also MUTE all computer audio ( SoftSynths, Backing tracking, etc)  that is being fed into the GR-55 via USB connection 

Add that the GR-55 "Phrase Looper" can be easily accidentally enabled if your feet are clumsy - with train wreck results.

A jack of all trades  / all in one MFX/PCM Synth  / DSP Modeling box, can actually be a nightmare or worse, (get you fired from the band, or make you look like an idiot in public should this occur on stage.

Frankly my GR-55 stays home

Instead my (2014) Boss GP-10 sees a lot of live gig use, mostly because by adding an EV-5 expression pedal, I now have a compact rig that sounds good and has lightning fast patch changes and suits my needs with its 2 onboard CTL foot switches, and ability to run dual expression pedals for morphing tones  / enable FXZ on the fly mid song - I started using it swiftly

Boss GP-10 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85343#msg85343

GP-10's built in OSC Synths are weak  - there are zero PCM sampled Orchestral tones  -s so it may not be the right tool if you seek those tone in a stand alone box.

If I need synth sounds, I can connect a laptop via USB ,and the GP-10 delivers better Guitar to MIDI performance, no audio gaps during patch change.
Its built in "Aux Input" works as a mixer, to feed other Line Level stereo signals

Among my arsenal of guitars  - one is a Godin xtSA with a RMC 13 pin systems for the GP-10 , and Fishman Tripleplay hex PU for the wireless Guitar to MIDI into an iPad running IK Sampletank.

The iPad headphone output just connects to the GP-10 AUX Input and GP-10 outputs into the PA or FRFR Stage monitor  and for me that covers a lot more ground and works better for my needs.

So it boils down to what are your expectations and how you work.

Luckily we have 9 years worth of posts here that can be searched for answers to most V-Guitar questions :)

vtgearhead

Accurate tracking can be a problem with the synth voices.  There are folks on this forum with inhumanly clean playing styles who get terrific results (Toby - take a bow).  Then, there are pikers like me who have never been able to get acceptable tracking on percussion or piano.  I did make several attempts at using paired trumpet and sax voices for New Orleans funk, but the latency drove my drummer crazy and I gave it up after repeated threats of physical violence. 

Take this with a grain of salt (I may simply be too uncoordinated to use a MIDI driver).  But, it might be a good idea to buy the unit from a vendor with solid return policies.

HecticArt

What the other guys have said is pretty spot on.
I'm still happy with my GR-55. I even bought a second one as a backup with the rumors/speculation that they may not be produced much longer.

For me, it's all about expectations. I'm a guitar player that doesn't want to become a keyboard player, but I want to fatten up the sound, and add some texture and sizzle, but I still want to sound like a guitar player. The 55 works well for me. As snhirsch said, some guys have great results with a few of the voices that are difficult to get to track correctly, (like drums and pianos) but if you don't expect to be able to replace a drummer or keyboard player with a 55, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Often, I layer the synth sounds over the top of my guitar coming out of the magnetic pickups. Horns like Superstition should work out perfectly for you. As Elantric said, working within a single patch helps a lot. I'll set the horns to work off of the expression pedal. Pedal up = no horns, pedal down = horns. We play How Ya Like Me Now by The Heavy, Knock On Wood, and a couple of others that it adds a lot of punch to, really effectively. Going from your rhythm tone to your lead tone (like the Sheeran track) is super easy and you won't get any lag if you stay within the same patch. I have a few songs that I do change patches during the same song, but there is usually plenty of time for me to step on the pedal before I have to hit the first note. We play Uprising by Muse, and the first half of the song is one patch. I use the control pedal to turn the synth on and off. The lead is a second patch, (I don't remember the specifics for why I set it up that way.) but the drummer and bass player have a break, so it works out. I have another song with a second patch for the lead that I only have one beat to make the change, and it works out just fine.

I don't mess with the drums, and do very little with pianos. We don't go off script and improvise the same way that Elantric does, so I haven't run into the same issues, but I can see where that would be problematic. For us, someone may extend a solo, or we may do some call and response stuff, or we may stretch something out because the singer forgot which verse he was supposed to sing...... But we're not adventurous enough to change instrumentation on the fly.

It sounds like, from the examples that you mentioned, you should be pretty happy with a GR-55. Let the keyboard player be the keyboard player and do the heavy lifting for those sounds. You can get reasonable acoustic(ish) tones, horns, alternate tunings, and a lot of great textures and funkiness that can really add to your band. 

Before I bought it, I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos of people playing through a GR-55 to get a better feel for what it can do. I'd recommend that you do the same for the GR-55, GP-10, and whatever else may look interesting to you. It's not perfect, and nothing is, but I keep finding more tunes to use it with. 

functionband

Hi, long pause, while I read up on everything you suggested.

Given I have "survived" on a zoom g1on with minimal ability to stomp change (as I said just toggle on/off a whole effect in the chain), it looks like I will be fine with the same with the GR55 (with either guitar pickup or COSM) with assignments for mods on the pedals on the same patch.

re: synth ability, I've seen the "GR55 plays pop" youtube vid doing "superstition", but guess the roland demo players are pretty good players. But I'm a bit confused/worried now about how good this is from your posts; there must be lots off success stories from ok players else this thing would sell?!?

But it definitely this looks like I need to test drive.....
clue's in the name, I don't need studio quality.

Elantric

QuoteBut it definitely this looks like I need to test drive.....

Either find one gently used that you can easily re-sell for a refund

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GR-55-Guitar-Synthesizer-Multi-Effects-Pedal-Power-Supply-PD-2345-/272437373973?hash=item3f6e886c15:g:L8YAAOSwo4pYHAXr

or purchase new from a dealer with a 30 day return policy

as a VGuitarforums member - you qualify for the Group buy as well

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=175.0

whippinpost91850

I'm in a classic rock band. I consider myself just a good/decent guitar player and I find the GR55 to be the solution to adding everything from horns and strings to acoustic guitars and alternate tunings

It really adds to the band

HecticArt

Listen to the mp3's and read the descriptions in the patch exchange too.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=67.0
You can gain a lot of insight about how regular guys (not Roland's hired pro's) work with patches.
There really is a LOT that you can accomplish. You can layer so many different tones and sounds in a single patch, you probably shouldn't think of patches in the same way that you do with the Zoom.

While you're doing your research on what all it can do to decide if it's the right pedal for you, do what the others have suggested and look for someplace that has a good return policy, or find a gently used one.