RC-300 - not enough 1/4 inch instrument inputs

Started by fseymour, April 08, 2014, 06:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fseymour

Now that I've figured out how to get both synth and guitar sounds out of my GR55 I have many more sound possibilities combining synth sounds with pick-up sounds and piezo sounds but now I don't have enough 1/4" inputs into my RC-300 to handle both cables from the Gr-55 and also plug in my acoustic guitar. I really need 3 of the 1/4" inputs into the RC-300. So my question is what is the best ( easiest/ cheapest ) little switch box that has at least 3 of the 1/4" inputs with a selector switch so I can switch mid song to my acoustic guitar without having to plug and unplug a cable and that won't make noise when you switch to the acoustic guitar and back. Hope this question makes sense to someone out there. I am not as tech savy about all this as I wish I was but I'm having fun building and recording songs.

any help - greatly appreciated - this group has been a huge help to me in getting started with all this gear.
Thanks,
Frank

Cricket

Are you using the aux input for anything?  I use that a lot, and run from the headphone out on a multiFX to it.   Stereo too.  Just use a 1/8" mini TRS.

Just a thought.

fseymour

Cricket - unfortunately I have my keyboard plugged into the aux input. I like to combine synth guitar, Keyboard, and Acoustic guitar on a lot the tracs that I am working on. Now I am using 2 inputs for the Godin guitar so I can combine synth and regular electric guitar sounds and it doesn't leave room for the acoustic input. I don't know anything about mixing boards as I have never been a stage performer but I am wondering if this scenario is what you would use a small mixing board for. Do they typically have 4 or five 1/4" inputs that you can mix and output to only 1 or two cables and plug that directly into the looper ?

Cricket

Ah. 

Yep, a small mixer would do it...

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/451186.html

Something like that, maybe...  Don't know what exactly you want.

Elantric

If your other gear has stereo headphone outputs  - instead of a mixer dont forget this other option which could feed the 3.5mm TRS Stereo Line level Aux input on RC300.

When I need a spare 5 channel stereo passive line mixer  - I use one of these:

Must Have Accessory List for Mobile Guitarists
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10968.0

Cricket

Quote from: Elantric on April 09, 2014, 11:00:45 AM
If your other gear has stereo headphone outputs  - instead of a mixer dont forget this other option which could feed the 3.5mm TRS Stereo Line level Aux input on RC300.

When I need a spare 5 channel stereo passive line mixer  - I use one of these:

Must Have Accessory List for Mobile Guitarists
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10968.0

Or that.... heh, heh... which looks like a more economical option if it would work for you.  Jeez, I think I'll pick one up myself just 'cause.  ;D

fseymour

Thanks guys - that little 4 channel mixer looks like it would fit the bill nicely. Just curious if these small mixers are prone to adding any noise/hum on the line ? The specs look pretty good but I am the farthest thing away from a sound engineer. Does anyone have experience with this particular Mackie 402 unit ? Sound good ?

Thanks for the help !

fseymour

Elantric - now you have me thinking about the Belkin Rockstar. Do you think I could plug the rockstar into the aux input of the RC-300 and then plug a keyboard and an acoustic guitar into two of the inputs in the rockstar and mix the two signals that way. The keyboard has a stereo 3.5mm plug and the acoustic guitar has a mono 3.5mm adapter that I could use. Would that work or would the two signals ( one from the pre-amp in the acoustic and the other from the preamp in the yamaha cp33 stage piano ) mess with each other. For a $15 investment you have a great idea if it would work. You think I could use the rockstar that way ????

Thanks,
Frank

Elantric

Keyboard = yes

Acoustic Guitar? Depends on the pickup, but if it's a recent Acoustic with a built in Active EQ then you will be fine. Use a Custom 1/4" TS mono to 3.5mm TRS cable to feed the guitar into the Belkin Rockstar stereo passive mixer 3.5mm TRS Stereo input.

Feed the output from Belkin Rockstar stereo passive mixer into the RC300 Aux Stereo Input.
Use the Main Volume or Headphone Volume knob on each audio source to obtain the desired instrument balance.

fseymour

Elantric - you are a huge help - thank you !
Belkin rockstar here I come.