Roland GR30 CR2032 internal battery replacement

Started by Jazza69, May 01, 2016, 08:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazza69

Hi all I don't want to break the little yellow plastic disc, Please instruct me how to change the internal battery Thank you John

Chrisfromiowa

Just went on a hunt through Roland regarding info on the current policy on changing internal batteries, they no longer recommend it or will not sell any parts, but the Rep told to look online for a copy of this exact video manual...  wetransfer.com allows files up to 2 gigs.... just saying... thanks

Headless68

regards changing the internal battery on a GR30 - its very easy - there is only one board inside them - once you get the bottom off the battery is easy to change out (same as on a motherboard in a PC) - from memory its a CR2032 I think

check this link for more info
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18053.0

Chrisfromiowa

admin

Roland GR-30 teardown - (but ignore the audio - he does not understand what this is )

Chrisfromiowa

Thanks, it's really nice seeing how it's laid out without having to take mine apart. Somehow videos are easier to understand than real life, imho anyway...

Chrisfromiowa

I just changed the battery with the 2 pin style that exactly matched the original, but I still get a "bat" when I restarted it. I checked the soldered points with my meter and it shows the proper voltage... guess I'll trace it down and see if the pcb has any problems. Anyone else ever had this problem? Thanks

Chrisfromiowa

I'm now thinking I must have some other problem that is causing the bat message to flash when I start up. I've replaced the battery two times, gone through with a multimeter and that shows its soldered in properly, but I still get the bat... and I've done the Roland hold down pedal 2 ini, sys, and patch refresh.
Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

Chrisfromiowa

I still can't figure out what is wrong and the closest Roland authorized service is 150 miles. I've replaced the battery twice, after that I installed a battery clip because I was worried that I was buying old stock even though they tested positive with my meter. I've done a full system reset, deleting all my saved patches, etc... anyone else have this problem, the bat error comes up ever time I start it. Thanks C

admin

Highly likely your Roland GR 30 has the issue all GR-30 users will eventually face - Power Supply Electrolytic capacitor failure
( typical for all electronic devices that are 21 years old)
solution is locate the failed capacitors & replace 

GR-30 service notes are here:
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/GR-30_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

Chrisfromiowa

Thank you, since my love for surface mounted components knows no bounds I'll get the multimeter out. Really, thanks, I'd have hate to spend $75 shipping it to Roland to find out they won't fix it. Regards C

admin

Quote from: Chrisfromiowa on October 18, 2017, 05:38:56 PM
Thank you, since my love for surface mounted components knows no bounds I'll get the multimeter out. Really, thanks, I'd have hate to spend $75 shipping it to Roland to find out they won't fix it. Regards C

Might be time to start checking for alternatives

they often go for $150

Chrisfromiowa

What really sucks is that I've sold two of them on Reverb in as many months. I'd happened into a deal and got some "extras" that my wife was sure I didn't need. The one I kept was the worst looking one, and with the exception of the battery seemed fine. Do you have any opinions on Digital Capacitance Meters, its looking like the standard multimeter might not be up to the task. Thanks for the information, food for thought, for sure.  So, I'm wondering if moving to the GR-33 might be a better way to go anyways... Regards Chris

Chrisfromiowa

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 18, 2017, 03:42:34 PM
Highly likely your Roland GR 30 has the issue all GR-30 users will eventually face - Power Supply Electrolytic capacitor failure
( typical for all electronic devices that are 21 years old)
solution is locate the failed capacitors & replace 

GR-30 service notes are here:
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/GR-30_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf
It looks like there are only 4 different values of capacitor if I'm reading the service manual correctly. I ordered a cheap in-circuit cap tester as I figured out my trusty old Multimeter won't do the job. I'm going to go through all of them, ones nearest the power supply and battery first and just see if they look strange or don't match the values listed and go from there. I'd like to find a new GR cheap, but I'd also like to fix this one. I've got a lot of pedals I've repaired over the years and for some reason they have more personal value to me. Well, I'll post any results for others looking for information as I was. Thanks all. Regards CfI

Nobulusprime

Hi just following re-igniting this thread.

My GR30 BAT battery light has just started flashing.

I have some CR2032s is it just a matter of slipping the battery out and replacing or is it a soldering job?

Thanks in advance!

admin

Nobulusprime

That makes sense, easier to change the battery next time you need to!