GR-55- Notes simply cut out unpredictably on Piano patches

Started by JakeCJ, March 21, 2014, 05:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeCJ

I wonder if anyone can help on this.  I have Strat with GK3 and it seems ONLY on Piano PCM tones, I'll be playing a song and notes/sounds will just cut out.  No "ghost notes" or "mis-triggering" as I've read about but rather the digital signal seems to just break up - a little choppy.  I can't force duplicate the issue ("glitch"?) in any way to determine  a root cause that I've seen discussed on this forum - maybe it's terminology.  I'm hoping someone can help as I'm reluctant to use this thing in a gig if the piano synth is likely to cut out on me.  I want this to work reliably so perhaps there's some procedure to diagnose and countermeasure?? 

Thanks in advance for help.
- Obi Wan Jacoby

Elantric

GR55 Bugs
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3057.0

QuoteRoland US Corp has confirmed this GR-55 "bug"

---
Problem with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

Roland US Corp replied: "We have been able to reproduce this anomaly, and have reported this to Roland Japan."

Be sure you have GR-55 Firmware 1.50 ??
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6423.0

JakeCJ

Thanks.  I just browsed the Bugs thread and found nothing similar.  Yes, 1.5 firmware.  I've deoxit'd.  Isolated bug to only piano PCM.  Is no one else experiencing this? 
- Obi Wan Jacoby

Elantric

QuoteBugs thread and found nothing similar.  Yes, 1.5 firmware.  I've deoxit'd.  Isolated bug to only piano PCM.  Is no one else experiencing this?

Mine does this too - and to be clear - yes most other GR-55 also experience this bug with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand 

---
Problem with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

Roland US Corp replied: "We have been able to reproduce this anomaly, and have reported this to Roland Japan."

Try other Piano patches, and be sure to read Shawns GR-55 Setup guide with explanation on how to adjust Nuance and Feel  - both are crucial to adjust GR-55 so it can accurately Track your playing technique.

Click here and download ALL GR-55 PDF Docs - most are only available here at VGuitarforums 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

And use Advanced search for "GR-55 Piano" - to read how others found solutions

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8556.msg61305#msg61305

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10856.msg78826#msg78826

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7968.msg56627#msg56627

ishfar

yes i have the same problem and i can't play any piano patches.

KuRi

I have also noticed this bug, but I get it with brass PCM sounds as well. Sometimes stops sounding and sometimes do not even trigger, but with two pcm's at the same time, one of them triggers and the other not, only with some instruments.

I guess that PCM's have different trigger level... or maybe is just a pcm setting I am missing...

shawnb

Are these custom patches or factory presets?
Are you in chromatic mode?
A sample recording might help.

Interesting problem, here...   The fact that its affecting a few users makes me think its a setting....

Learn GR-55 Settings here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Trout

Having serious problems with my current favourite sound. If I use Concert Grand (St. Piano 2) and Mood Strings 342 together it goes haywire. Not talking mis-triggers etc, it just cuts out and makes horrible noises as if something has burnt out or a faulty lead, and it does on both Godin XTSA and GK3 guitars with different 13 pin cables. As far as I can tell so far this only happens with these exact two tones selected (it doesn't matter which is assigned to pcm 1 or 2 either), changing either of them to a different piano or string ensemble stops the problem.
I have seen postings before about glitches with Concert Grand but not relevant to this problem. All I can think of doing at the moment is a factory reset.
Only just started to get the hang of the thing too :'(

Elantric

There is a known bug with the ConcertPiano patch

Read from 1st post

---

This bug has remained since 2011  - and Roland / Boss US reported it to Boss Japan  - after 5 years with no response  means there is no future GR-55 firmware fix expected

FWIW the GR-33 tracks its internal PCM Pianos much better than GR-55

QuoteHaving serious problems with my current favourite sound. If I use Concert Grand (St. Piano 2) and Mood Strings 342 together it goes haywire. Not talking mis-triggers etc, it just cuts out and makes horrible noises as if something has burnt out or a faulty lead, and it does on both Godin XTSA and GK3 guitars with different 13 pin cables. As far as I can tell so far this only happens with these exact two tones selected (it doesn't matter which is assigned to pcm 1 or 2 either), changing either of them to a different piano or string ensemble stops the problem.

While some believe the GR-55 is a top class unit, its DSP is a bit overworked and some patch combinations yield odd behavior as you have documented 

randulo

I have my GR55 set up for a satisfactory sensitivity according to the calibration info given here, but there's one sound I can not get right, it's acoustic piano. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions regarding the piano? I've noticed that the triggering varies according to certain velocity parameters. Does anyone have any tips there? By the way, I find the acoustic piano sounds less good than those on the GR-1, oddly enough.
Hopeful GR-55 convert from GR-1
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

blindjammer2015

I'd be curious about this as well. :)

admin

Roland officially acknowledges the GR-55 mis triggers the Grand Piano PCM tones

GR-55- Notes simply cut out unpredictably on Piano patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10905.msg79201#msg79201

Elantric

Now that I have a GR-55 and GR-33 side by side, its breathtaking how much better the old GR-33 tracks its internal PCM Pianos and Saxophones in a superior  / more reliable fashion

I know the GR-55 is the most popular device among our members, but in my opinion, it has flaws compared to other Roland/Boss VGuitar systems. Its internal DSP is a bit overworked for all the tasks it must support ( simultaneous Guitar modeling, Alt Tuning, dual PCM tones, Guitar to MIDI - this explains why it lacks external real time control (expression Pedal, CTRL Pedals ) and reacts slower when connected to a computer - like Gumtowns editor

I know there are examples of GR-55 owners who can make the Grand Piano tones work without mis-triggering.

But here I grab the GR-33 instead anytime I need to reliably make Grand Piano tones at the bar gig with my 13 pin guitar.   

whippinpost91850

I just dug out my GR33 a couple of months ago and as soon as I get my ATG going I'm gonna start using it again. Like Elantric says it just tracks PCM's that much better

DF400

How funny, I dug out my GR-33 a couple months ago as well and noticed the very same observations Elantric made: The sax and pianos tones are pretty nice, and defintely track better than the GR-55. In addition, a big plus for me is access to the PCM tones with external devices. In fact, my GR-55 is now stored away and I am presently driving the GR-33 with the TRP and FC-1 - which works very well. The B-3 PCM also rocks BTW.

In addition, I am running the GR-33 outputs into my In2 of my AX-8, so able to run as an inline "effect" utilizing the converters and balanced outputs of the AX-8. 

vtgearhead

I'll chime in here to agree.  I picked up a nice, clean GR-33 on eBay last Fall and discovered that it's actually useful for piano and horn parts.  My drummer might even let me use it for the New Orleans funk tunes on our setlist (the GR-55 was banned due to mistriggering and high-latency).