GR-55 - 1.50 Firmware installation

Started by curteye, June 28, 2012, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curteye

Aloha guys,

Find it here:

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/gr-55/updates_drivers/f64a41ce-c897-4fd5-94d7-71ec8ff6f036/
Remember to BACK-UP! BACK-UP! BACK-UP! first. Just in case.

{'-'}

--

Be sure to Read and follow each step below to perform the GR-55 version 1.50 upgrade procedure:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GR-55&id=62081950

===
System ProgramGR-55 System Program Version 1.50

This system program updates your GR-55 to the latest version 1.50.

Products:GR-55

How to know the version
Before you start, check the system program version of your GR-55.

Hold down PAGE [ < ] button and PAGE [ > ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
    If this shows the latest version (version 1.50 or later), there's no need to update your GR-55.
    After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Update history
[ Ver.1.50 ]
[Function Improvements]

Added new preset patches
    Added new 90 Guitar and 18 Bass Patches as preset patch.
    Please refer to the "GR-55 Additional Patch List" (GR-55_l_Add_PatchList_je01_W.pdf) for details.

http://ftp.roland.co.jp/support/en/downloads/res/62081950/GR-55_l_Add_PatchList_je01_W.pdf

* Between before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment. Please refer to the "Precautions Concerning the Update of the System Program of the GR-55 to Ver. 1.50 ( GR-55_l_ver150attend_e01.pdf )" for detailed information.
http://ftp.roland.co.jp/support/en/downloads/res/62081950/GR-55_l_ver150attend_e01.pdf

[GR-55 FW1.50 Bug Fixes]
The following bugs were fixed.

* A setting of ALT-TUNING did not affect to MIDI note messages outputted by GUITAR TO MIDI.

* The level meter for each string sens was displayed in less amplitude than it should be when the PU TYPE parameter in GK SETTING was PIEZO, PIEZO G or PIEZO R.

* The Audio Input Level after updating is the same as before although the amplitude of the level meter changes.

* A noise mixed with USB Audio when a lot of voices sounded.

* PCM tones which TONE SW were set to OFF caused voice interruptions when a lot of voices sounded.

* Particular instruments in Drums category tones sounded at a wrong volume level.

* When using patches which the [PEDAL/GK CTL] > [CTL] or [EXP SW] parameter was set to each EFFECT SW, editing the EFFECT ON/OFF parameter was not linked with the status of each EFFECT SW.

* It caused GR-55 no sound that the GR-55 Librarian wrote a patch including a Drum Kit to the GR-55's user patch.

[ GR-55 Ver.1.02 Bug Fixes ]

* The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.

* GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.

What you will need to update your GR-55

GR-55
    USB Memory ( Roland's M-UF2G is recommended )
    * Before you start, use a computer to format the device using the FAT32 file system.
    A computer with a USB connector (Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOS X v10.4.3 or later)
    Update file downloaded from this page

Cautions with the update

We recommend that you save your user data to a USB memory before you perform the update. If a problem occurs and your user data is lost, you will be able to restore the original state by reloading the data you saved.
    Never apply this update data to any product other than the GR-55. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
    Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress.
    If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the GR-55 won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
    We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.

Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "gr55_sys_v150.zip" file on your computer to get the update files in the "gr55_sys_v150" folder.
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GR-55&id=62081950

Procedure for the update
-------------------------------------
Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress!

Creating the Update USB memory

Using your computer, copy the "gr55.bin" file to the root directory (top level) of your USB memory.
    Un-mount the USB memory device through the correct procedure, then disconnect from the computer.

Update Procedure

With the GR-55's power turned off, connect your USB memory to the GR-55 to the USB Host port inside the plastic door on the left side of the GR-55.
    Hold down [ V-LINK ] button and [ USER ] button, and turn GR-55 power on. (Hold these buttons down for a while) 
    The initial screen appears, and then the Display lights up completely. (Now you may let go of the buttons)
    After a short interval, the update is executed.
    When the message Completed! is displayed, the update is finished.
    Disconnect the USB memory from the GR-55.
    Please verify the version number "1.02" with the procedure described in "How to know the version" part of this document.
    When the entire update process has been completed, connect the USB memory to your computer and delete the file "gr55.bin" from USB memory.

===
And below is a good detailed link to a PDF with Step by Step Instructions on performing the GR-55 Upgrade procedure - it was created a year ago for the old 1.02 firmware upgrade:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4010.0;attach=3555

check the system program version of your GR-55.

Hold down PAGE [ < ] button and PAGE [ > ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
    A GR-55 WITH ALL RECENT FIRMWARE WILL THE FOLLOWING IN THE LCD DISPLAY:

VERSION
--------------------------------------------
MAIN : Version 1.50 Build 0059
BOOT : Version 1.00 Build 0001

After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

NoahB

Wow really this must have just come out today right? I'm reading this on my cell so I can't see what does it fix
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

gumtown

Should i do this a day before a gig? maybe i will wait till after..

Update history
[ Ver.1.50 ]

[Function Improvements]

•Added new preset patches
Added new 90 Guitar and 18 Bass Patches as preset patch.
Please refer to the "GR-55 Additional Patch List" (GR-55_l_Add_PatchList_je01_W.pdf) for details.
* Between before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment. Please refer to the "Precautions Concerning the Update of the System Program of the GR-55 to Ver. 1.50 ( GR-55_l_ver150attend_e01.pdf )" for detailed information.
[Bug Fixes]
•A setting of ALT-TUNING did not affect to MIDI note messages outputted by GUITAR TO MIDI.
•The level meter for each string sens was displayed in less amplitude than it should be when the PU TYPE parameter in GK SETTING was PIEZO, PIEZO G or PIEZO R.
* The Audio Input Level after updating is the same as before although the amplitude of the level meter changes.
•A noise mixed with USB Audio when a lot of voices sounded.
•PCM tones which TONE SW were set to OFF caused voice interruptions when a lot of voices sounded.
•Particular instruments in Drums category tones sounded at a wrong volume level.
•When using patches which the [PEDAL/GK CTL] > [CTL] or [EXP SW] parameter was set to each EFFECT SW, editting the EFFECT ON/OFF parameter was not linked with the status of each EFFECT SW.
•It caused GR-55 no sound that the GR-55 Librarian wrote a patch including a Drum Kit to the GR-55's user patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

curteye

Quote from: gumtown on June 28, 2012, 07:09:42 PM
Should i do this a day before a gig? maybe i will wait till after..

Good Idea!  (Murphy's Law)

I've got the update but i'll wait a day or so to see
what early adopters have to say.

And I'm looking forward to playing some drums on it.

Roland rocks!

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

teleholic

finally...no real critical fixes but at least it arrived in June i guess? haha

gumtown

I bet there are a few more fixes not disclosed in the list,
time will tell,
unless someone here updates first and tells all about what's changed. :-)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

teleholic

glad to be a guinea pig..i'll report what i find though it'll be more critical stuff like tracking for the pcm stuff and latency and stuff..

tekrytor

@gumtown,
Was that a bablefish version of the release notes?
Some parts read rather "Kanjimatic".
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Litesnsirens

I think I may wait, I didn't see anything in the literature that would warrant rushing into it.  I do want to see if the piezo settings help with my ghost equipped guitar but that can wait until after my gig on Sunday, (Canada Day).  I don't think I've even gone through all the original patches in any kind of detail yet so a bunch of new patches isn't much to get excited about.

I don't have enough experience with this unit to really know if what they have proposed as a fix for the piezos will really help, it seems like they have adjusted how the meters read when making the adjustments to the sensitivity. I guess we'll see, but after the gig. 

teleholic

I'm having trouble with the update..using a Sansdisk`Ti cruzer 2gb stick, reformatted with Disk Utility to FAT32, followed the update procedure and Elantric's advice of holding the vlink and user buttons for more than a minute, in fact i held them much longer but the white screen just stays frozen..tried this about 4 times now....any ideas? This is my first update as mine was 1.02 when i got my unit..thanks!

update: i used a generic stick and got it to work..wonder what's up with Sansdisk as this isn't the first time it failed me when generic drives or Kingston drives would work flawlessly guess i'll stay away from Sansdisk from now on..

teleholic

Back with the report! my gr 55 survived the update but sad to say i felt and heard no improvements..not sure about piezo users but there was no improvement in tracking nor latency for piano and other pcm voices..same inconsistent low E string tracking and random latency..

There're some nice tele patches in the new patch collection but the rest are definitely 'top 25' worthy, if you catch my drift..lets see if other members find any improvements..

tekrytor

Quote from: teleholic on June 28, 2012, 09:06:57 PM
I'm having trouble with the update..using a Sansdisk`Ti cruzer 2gb stick, reformatted with Disk Utility to FAT32, followed the update procedure and Elantric's advice of holding the vlink and user buttons for more than a minute, in fact i held them much longer but the white screen just stays frozen..tried this about 4 times now....any ideas? This is my first update as mine was 1.02 when i got my unit..thanks!

update: i used a generic stick and got it to work..wonder what's up with Sansdisk as this isn't the first time it failed me when generic drives or Kingston drives would work flawlessly guess i'll stay away from Sansdisk from now on..

I'm having similar problems.  Ran the procedure 5 or 6 times, no update. Formatted the thumbdrive as FAT32, no other data. Hold for short or eternity, same thing. Just comes back to the 1.02 standard boot after a few minutes.

UPDATE:
I switched from my regular GR-55 internal 4GB Patriot USB thumbdrive to a MicroCenter 32GB thumbdrive, just moved all the other files into a temp dir, named "temp" (without quotes) so it would be seen after the bin file, and it ran first time. So there are diffs in the USB sticks. I'll get back when I've tested a bit, but the update is complete.

UPDATE 2:
So far, I like the new patches I've tried. They seem very responsive, especially the PCM tones feel a bit swifter than previously. They also seem more useful than many of the original patches. ALSO noteworthy, the update did NOT corrupt my controller settings. They don't necessarily match the new patches, but it also appears that my USER patches are all still where they were. Your mileage may vary though, so do a backup in case not for you.

I tried the GR-55 FloorBoard and it saw the GR-55, loaded patches, but I didn't want to write to the GR until I read a "Go ahead" from Gumtown or someone else who has done some saves and compares. I'm chicken, sorry. ::)
Good luck fellow updaters!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

GplayerGodin

I agree with others that the piano tracking is still pretty poor. However, the update did fix my missing snare sounds in all of the drum kits. I do feel that the tracking is slightly less glitchy on the clavs and a few other percussive voices. It will be interesting to see how tweaking the individual voice settings affect tracking. The update is a step in the right direction. IMHO

NoahB

Having trouble understanding the language in the bug fix list. I'm interested in understanding the second to bottom point about the crtl pedal and parameter bla bla bla. I would like to know if its gonna fix the problem I've been having with the crtl pedal not working the first time I hit it for things like octive up and activate 12string. It doesn't work on the first push but the light comes on and then when u turn It off then the sound changes the way it was supose to on the first push. Any help putting this document into English would be much appriciated. Thanks
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

tekrytor

Agreed. The translation is rather lacking in usefulness in places.

Here's a photo of the update confirmation. HOLD V-Link and User while powering ON to get this display:

tekrytor

Quote from: NoahB on June 28, 2012, 11:33:59 PM
Having trouble understanding the language in the bug fix list. I'm interested in understanding the second to bottom point about the crtl pedal and parameter bla bla bla. I would like to know if its gonna fix the problem I've been having with the crtl pedal not working the first time I hit it for things like octive up and activate 12string. It doesn't work on the first push but the light comes on and then when u turn It off then the sound changes the way it was supose to on the first push. Any help putting this document into English would be much appriciated. Thanks

I suppose you know about the Toggle vs Momentary settings in the control assignments? It sounds like it is set to toggle and should be set to momentary.

gafaell

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Really ?

No new effect added ?

No harmonizer or arpegiattor ?

Only minor bugs solved ?

I have not had an opportunity to listen to the new patches, but, I don´t expect much...

What a DECEPTION !!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

Elantric

Quote??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Really ?

No new effect added ?

No harmonizer or arpegiattor ?

Only minor bugs solved ?

I have not had an opportunity to listen to the new patches, but, I don´t expect much...

What a DECEPTION !!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

?

Where did you read that those features would be added?

Remember there is a huge difference between:

* A WISH LIST

* A BUG LIST

* A RELEASE LIST

We only expected the following :

New Artist Patches
http://www.rolandus.com/go/gr-55_artist_patches/

and
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5835.0

Quotemember "tomK" got this reply from Roland Japan:
QuoteAfter asking Roland Japan (actually, Boss Japan) about the difference between the blue and black GR-55s, I got this reply, quote:

"We updated the program of GR-55 from ver1.02 to ver1.50 at the
timing of releasing black type.
The program is available for both blue and black type.

For piezo pickup, we adjusted the level display of GK sens when
selecting piezo, piezo G, and piezo R type.
We think the customer who uses piezo guitar can adjust the GK sens
more correctly and reduce the tracking problem.

We will inform the updating information at web site on June."

and this was my prediction:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5835.msg39983#msg39983
QuoteId be happy if they address and fix the known GR-55 bugs which I compiled and presented to them at Winter NAMM 2012

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4723.0

But I suspect nothing will come of it.  Instead this June, we will get a new Black GR-55 with new artist patches, yet the bugs remain.

However it would seem many known  "bugs" - (like this one below) were not possible to tame or improve yet:

QuoteProblem with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

Roland US Corp replied: "We have been able to reproduce this anomaly, and have reported this to Roland Japan."

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3057.msg20063#msg20063

No guarantees Roland will do anything, but at least we can say we tried.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4723.0

Machh_2

some doubts:

My GR is still in version 1.0, can I update straight to 1.50?

when I do the update and it changed the original patches for new, I can write back the original patch?

it is possible to roll-back sistem if I want?

if I use a few patches in GR, nescessário is actually doing the update?

I ask this because until now I had no problem with my GR-55

[] 'S

highlandsrock

The update loaded fine and I was pleased to see that all my user settings and patches remain untouched (as far as I can make out) but I did do a back-up first, just in case something went wrong.

Just had a quick run through of all the new patches. I like most of what I hear. A lot more thought has gone into these ones than the originals. Don't recognise any from the Forum patch library! Yes it is a disappointment that there's no arpegiator or harmoniser or additional effects.

To see if there had been any changes to the tracking thought I'd try the GR300 patch (Lead 01-3) using a Ibanez 870 fitted with a GK3 and it sounds worse than ever. Seems to be picking up interference from somewhere. Tried it with my Godin Freeway, with its piezos, and got the same. Only seems to happen on this patch. If you switch up or down all the interference disappears. Will be interested to hear if anyone else gets the same problem. Then tried the Concert Grand patch and can't hear any difference from before - tracks OK with the GK3, not so well with the piezos.

Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Bermanator

S1/S2 switching is no longer working with the 1.5 update (tried on several different guitars) ???

Some of the new patches are good, but I'm reverting to 1.02!!!!!!!!

aliensporebomb

Wow, so Roland does produce updates for products that actually sell.  Imagine that!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteTo see if there had been any changes to the tracking thought I'd try the GR300 patch (Lead 01-3) using a Ibanez 870 fitted with a GK3 and it sounds worse than ever. Seems to be picking up interference from somewhere. Tried it with my Godin Freeway, with its piezos, and got the same. Only seems to happen on this patch. If you switch up or down all the interference disappears. Will be interested to hear if anyone else gets the same problem.

Yes the GR300 patch (Lead 01-3) is noisy for everybody!

Taming the noise on this specific patch  was the original focus of the RMC OPT-01 Input filter option board.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

QuoteThe first thing I noticed 3 years ago when I got my VG8ex is that the piezo are sensitive to "body contact".
It is easily noticeable with high gain patches where everything can go craze by simply grabbing the trem bar.

Is this the same thing as what we are experiencing with the GR-300 or is it something totally different?

Mario
[/i]

Elantric

S1/S2 switching is no longer working with the 1.5 update (tried on several different guitars) ???
Simply restore the S1 and S2  functionality by creating Control assignments.

Typically the procedure goes like this:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6394.msg43852#msg43852

Elantric

Quoteit is possible to roll-back system if I want?

Original GR-55 Firmware 1.00 was never distributed, so its impossible to revert to that.

Typically with Roland products, its a one way trip to the new firmware.  i suspect there will be problems reverting back to the old firmware 1.02.

Who wants to try first?

But we have posted for over a year ago that GR-55 firmware 1.02 was what everyone should be using :

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4010.0

GR-55 Firmware Ver.1.02 (June 09, 2011)
------------------------------
The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.
GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.
[/quote][/i]

The old GR-55 Firmware 1.02 can be downloaded here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4010.0