Learn to Program Roland/Boss MultiFX Processors

Started by Elantric, January 25, 2008, 05:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

check out Craig Anderson's article on
achieving a better 'analog' sound from a amp simulator.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/how-to-make-amp-sims-sound-more-analog

And then also read the short and sweet 'primer' article Anderson wrote for Guitar
Player - this article is a bit more generic than the Harmony Central post - but it
gets you in the ballpark where you can further tweak the sound.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/-seven-steps-to-amp-sim-goodness/23054

Elantric

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
The Tone Stack calculator is designed to help you check out the design and response curves of a variety of tone stacks used in popular guitar amplifiers.

It is intended to be of interest to amplifier technicians, amp modifiers, hobbyists and students.

Key features

* Tone stack types: Fender modern, Vox, Marshall, James (passive predecessor to Baxandall), Fender E series, Steve Bench tone stack, and now the Big Muff tone stack used in FX units.  Simply click on the appropriate tab to bring up a different schematic.
* Components: Values can be altered simply by double-clicking on the component.  With potentiometers, the taper can also be altered.  The generator source impedance can be altered to give realistic simulation results for both cathode followers and common cathode drivers.
* Bass/Mid/Treble: Slide the controls along and see the changes to the tone stack response in real time.
* Snapshots: Freeze any trace so it can be overlaid by other traces.  Up to a maximum of 12 traces can be frozen in this way.  Can sweep the controls to show the range.
* File Open/Save: Keep your favourite configurations on disk with this new facility.
* Printing: Send the graphical results to your printer for a hard copy.
* Other features: Online context sensitive help, variable plot resolutions supported to optimise performance.

System requirements

* Operating system: Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT.   Tone Stack Calculator is a 32 bit application, and has not been tested to run under Windows 3.1 or 3.11 with win32s installed.
* Processor: Minimum 486, recommended Pentium or better.
* Display: 640 x 480 or greater, with 16 colour capability, as a minimum.  Recommended 800x600 or better.  Large fonts are supported.
* Memory: As per minimum requirement for operating system.

Elantric

Guitar Input Level
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12822.0
Gumtown wrote
Attached below is a calibration patch to set the input level (due to the lack of metering), set the input level so the EXP pedal led is just peaking on.
The GT-100 won't clip with high input levels, but it does compress beyond a certain point, making the preamps less responsive to volume change on the guitar.

An average passive humbucker input level setting sits around -7dB

You load the patch into the GT.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12822.0;attach=10471
Then with hard picking on the guitar, adjust the system setting for "guitar input level" until the EXP pedal switch light is only just peaking 'on'.

Typically a hot output/humbucker guitar will require the input level reduced down around the -12dB to -8dB range.

Dont forget the VG-99, GR-55, and GP-10, GT-1  all have "Normal PU Input Level controls as well

For normal pickups, the same control exists in GP-10, VG-99, GR-55, GT-001, GT-100, GT-1000

Here is the Boss GP-10 Normal PU Input Level control in BTS

( GT-100 / GT-001) in Boss Tone Studio for GT , click on the INPUT block to access "Guitar Input Level  control.

Here is Guitar Input Level on GR-55 (Normal PU Gain)

AND

Here is Guitar Input Level on VG-99 (Normal PU Gain)

admin

Boss-GT-xxxx-Collected-Tips_171225

( attached below for VGuitarforums members)

admin

Quote from: Elantric on April 14, 2015, 02:10:55 PM
Just as likely they will call it ACB
http://www.roland.com/aira/whatsaira.html
Behind the authentic sound and responsive behavior of the AIRA products is the newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology.
ACB faithfully captures the sound and feel of living, breathing instruments, including some of Roland's most revered classics.

I suppose its better than "Tone Capsule"

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BC-TC-EJ

Close prediction

Roland Syths  = Roland AIRA
http://www.roland.com/global/aira/
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Roland/Aira/
Roland's AIRA Series reflects years of research building on a legacy of creating many of the most popular synthesizers, groove machines, and vocal effects of all time. Part classic Roland gear, part next-generation electronic music technology, AIRA instruments let you tap into knob-tweaking simplicity reminiscent of traditional analog equipment. At Sweetwater, we're incredibly excited to get in on the ground floor of this electronic-music revolution, and we're absolutely certain you're going to love playing with the whole AIRA lineup.
http://rolandblog.ca/airas-acb-unwrapped-next-generation-virtual-analog-modeling/
Hi-Resolution

I want to emphasize that our engineers went A LOT further with our ACB modeling.  Know that ACB is achieved at 32 Bit/96 kHz digital to analog conversion.  Hence, the AIRA Series are currently among the highest resolution, highest quality digital instruments in the world.  In fact, I don't know of any other digital instruments that utilize a resolution this high.  This hi-resolution further contributes to the undeniable sounds that are so recognizable from our analog heritage.
Hearing is Believing

Boss Guitar MFX = Boss AIRD
https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-1000/
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/boss-announce-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor

Based on BOSS's acclaimed Tube Logic approach, the comprehensive AIRD system in the GT-1000 brings unparalleled musical response and flexibility to a digital guitar processor. AIRD amplifiers live and breathe like real tube amps, providing inspiring feel and authentic tonal dynamics that were previously unattainable. And with sophisticated AIRD Output Select functionality, you're able to consistently achieve this amazing sound with any setup, from standard guitar amps to full-range playback systems.

Also featured is the company's new Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics (AIRD) technology, realized with BOSS's extensive research into the complex component interactions in classic guitar amplifiers. According to the Roland press release, "AIRD provides new levels of performance when using the GT-1000's preamps with guitar amps and power amps, and previously unattainable realism in direct recording and full-range monitoring applications."

adamlee011

Holy moly! Who did that gs10 write up? I mean, many thanks. That's some serious investigation. Definitely helps approaching the vg99.

admin

Quote from: Ratiug on August 22, 2017, 09:55:57 AM
The GT8 brilliance pdf says "Patch Level" 100% always
Are they refering to the Patch Level knob or the Master Patch Level( accessed throught the Master button) that goes from 0 - 200?

IMHO use Patch Level on GT-100 at "100" on a scale of 0-200 - in this manner you have margin to adjust the patches to desired levels

Some want all their patches to be the same level

Myself - i typically allocate my "Lead / Solo patches to be louder than my Rhythm patches

admin

Quote from: JiveTurkey on August 30, 2018, 03:20:15 PM
Apologies in advance. Is the rear pickup, when using a modeled guitar tone, the bridge pickup equivalent? Using the terms Front and Rear are interchangeable in my mind. Probably wrongly so  :'(

Roland / Boss FRONT PU MODEL = Neck Mag PU emulation

Roland / Boss CENTER PU MODEL = Middle Mag PU emulation

Roland / Boss REAR PU MODEL = Bridge Mag PU emulation

(use your ears and it should be obvious )

as with ALL ROLAND / BOSS gear  - it helps to read the Manuals for the older products, as many crucial concepts are explained in far more detail within the Owners Manuals for the 1997 Roland VG-8EX,
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VG-8EX_OM.pdf

2000 Roland VG-88
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10981.0;attach=9043

2007 Roland VG-99.
  http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_07-19743/VG-99_e4.pdf

admin

Describes many Effects Control Concepts which can be directly applied to more recent Boss Guitar MFX

Boss GT-10 Realtime Effects Control
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT10WS01.pdf

fabtrap

admin

you wont find this in the owners manual!)

GT-100 -Freq Response Plots of Output Modes

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26010.0&fbclid=IwAR2T6b4EpPx4qsFvyYqNpUAo564-aQu9K3g1eu9Huu_uQAwBAkngAl0KbK0

admin

Use Expression pedal heel position as a switch
Jim Williams wrote>
"I found a new trick to expand your control options in the GR-55 and it will work with any other processor as well. you can use your heel position of your expression pedal as a switch by selecting for example the delay switch as a target parameter. choose your EXP Pedal as the source and set it to toggle. then you act range low to 0 and the act range high to 1 and when your pedal hits all the way down it will turn your delay on and off. this trick can be employed as a momentary control as well and if you want to have it in the toe position set the act low to 126 and the ACT high to 127. you can do this with your GK volume ant have a switch at both ends of the knob. so that will give you 4 more controllers you can use. warning: if you use the toe position as an assign it will activate if you also use the toe switch as an assign.

admin

guitarchitect wrote>

I found a way to get a faux harmonic tremolo sound in the GTK. I have always loved this sound, and the tremolo effect in the GTK is solid but somewhat vanilla sounding. I listened to a bunch of YT videos on various pedals that go for this sound, mainly the Strymon Flint and a video on the Pedal Show. It took some experimenting but these setting using a Parametric EQ block with an Assign using the wave pedal to vary the gain of the low-mid gain band gives a really nice sounding frequency modulated tremolo. The lows and highs stay intact, so the definition of the notes and chords retains detail, while the middle spectrum does the work of creating the trem effect. It's a very cool sound, perhaps not in the same league as the Flint, but it sounds good - worth trying out and maybe improving if you are interested in this sound.

The downside is I can't easily alter the depth or rate on the fly with this method. It will respond to tap tempo changes because the wave pedal rate uses a 1/2 note division. I tried every frequency band in the Parametric EQ and the low-mid sounded the best, with a wide Q. The low-mid center frequency can be swept to fine tune the sound - I landed on 1 kHz sounding best to my ears. Finally, by setting the Act Range Lo on page 2 of the Assign to 35, it for some reason smoothed out the pulse of the tremolo - otherwise there was a noticeable warble in the sound that was more like a uni-vibe than a tremolo.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-boss-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor.1905672/page-468#post-32311515

MitchP

So far I have been successful in conquering several initial issues and basic rules of what the GR-55 will and won't do. I've just picked up on this and other threads dating back 10 years ago to user guides on Roland products I don't have. So much data.

So, I'm asking for two things: one short term question and one long term education. In the short term, I just finished copying and modifying 3 patches and saving them in the user section. Strangely enough, after I initially copied them, I could not enter the "edit" mode (or any other selection) without having the expression pedal heel down. I only discovered this by accident and I realize it must have something to do with the initial settings I set on the "systems" tab or perhaps the "master". Can anyone give me a short-cut to fix this?

Secondly, I've downloaded multiple PDF files concerning basic education pre GR-xx. However, is there one definitive one that deals with clarifying the idiosyncrasies of the basic users manual for one patch master level, assignments, how to use the expression pedal to go from clean to crunch in it's travel from heel down to toe down and assigning effects like chorus on a clean heel down to a crunch only toe-down?

I realize it's going to take months to assimilate even a basic working knowledge of the GR-55, but a short-cut PDF would be nice.  ;D Thanks to all who've invested so much time in making this site amazing.
Tap into your inner Ace!

admin

You might have wonky memory from prior owner

Backup user patches, then perform a GR-55 system Restore

----
Roland GR-55 Factory Reset (Initialize)
Press EDIT.
Press the right-hand PAGE button to select the SYSTEM tab.
Cursor to "BACKUP/INIT," and then press ENTER.
Cursor to "FACTORY RESET," and then press ENTER.
Cursor to "OK," and then press ENTER—"FACTORY RESET..." appears in the display.
When "PLEASE RESTART" appears, turn the GR-55's power off and back on.

admin

If you are using Tone Studio while making real time midi cc# pedal changes,
the midi data stream to the editor may slow down any other external midi traffic

Which points as advice for those who suspect their GT-1000 or SY-1000  or Katana, or GP-10 has sluggish patch to patch change time,  disconnect any editors,  then experience  a faster patch to patch change time with shortest gap.

admin

Auto engage expression pedal for wah

Quote from: Jim Williams on April 16, 2022, 06:48:20 AM
you can make an auto engage in the assigns. select the EXP as on and off then make it momentary. All the way up is off, and the rest of the pedal is on when you set the active high to 127 and the active low to 126. This is the same trick I have used back when I bought my Boss GT-3 and it has worked for every boss/Roland processor I have had since then.

Elantric

https://www.boss.info/global/support/knowledge_base/4525984296475/

[i]BOSS Device Control Function VS. Assignments Explained

Tags: ME-80, RC-500, GX, BOSS, GT-1000, RC, VE, GT-1000CORE, GT, IR-200, SY-200, category_guitareffects, RC-600, guitar_products, IR, DEVICES, ALL, GX-100, ME, VE-200, sy_200

BOSS DEVICE CONTROL FUNCTION VS. ASSIGNMENTS EXPLAINED
Hi BOSS users! In this article, we'd like to discuss some shared BOSS device menu options for CONTROL FUNCTIONS and ASSIGNMENTS. Many new users are confused by the CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT parameters, how they are used, implemented and how they are different. These user customizable options are key to using your BOSS device for personalized manual foot control and your specific musical creative needs. This article will explore these menus and help expand any BOSS device user's knowledge and understanding of these CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT menus. These menus and parameters that are available in most all BOSS devices.
For some device examples: GT-1, GT-1B, GT-001, GT-100, GT-1000/CORE, GX-100, RC-5, RC-300, RC-10R, RC-500, RC-505 MK1/MK2, RC-600, SY-200, SY-300, BOSS 200 and 500 series pedals, etc.

CONTROL FUNCTION MENU EXPLAINED:
Fundamental take away for CONTROL FUNCTIONS for any BOSS device, is that CONTROL FUNCTIONS provide mostly common general control functionality for onboard pedal foot switches and expression pedal controls. These also are used for externally connected pedal foot switches/expression pedals and control. Usually, for a new BOSS device, there are default CONTROL FUNCTIONS with functionality/behavior already setup for your device; so that out of the box your BOSS pedal is ready to use with the more common general controls to user navigate for immediate performance.
For example, a CONTROL FUNCTION would be used for: BANK INC/DEC, PATCH INC/DEC, EFFECT: ON/OFF, PATCH 1-5 access, PATCH 1-4 access, TUNER ON/OFF, MEMORY/MANUAL MODE switch, etc.

Here are the common CONTROL FUNCTION menu parameters that you'll see in your BOSS device CONTROL FUNCTION menu and some general descriptions from us to assist users.

CONTROL PREFERENCE: Best to decide first if the CTL PREF is SYSTEM/GLOBAL (function/behavior across all patches, user can "set it, forget it" no save needed) OR if it should be set to MEMORY/PATCH (MEMORY PATCH unique/specific - needs to be WRITE/SAVED).
NOTE: This is important to decide and set the CTL PREF parameter first, otherwise changing this parameter after programming the other CONTROL FUNCTION menu parameters (like Source/Function/Mode) may reset/erase these parameters. This may occur when switching the CTL PREF: from MEMORY PATCH to SYSTEM. So, before setting any other CONTROL FUNCTION parameter, set the CTL PREF parameter first. Ask yourself, will this be a SYSTEM/GLOBAL control that you want across all MEMORY PATCHES, or is it a control/behavior you want only for this specific MEMORY PATCH? Decide and set.

Note: A common mistake, for example, is to leave the CTL PREF: to MEMORY and program the CONTROL FUNCTION: to MEMORY INC/DEC, when CTL PREF: should be set to SYSTEM/GLOBAL.
If CTL PREF: is MEMORY/PATCH, you'll arrive at the next patch using MEMORY INC/DEC and get stuck because the MEMORY/PATCH you've arrived at doesn't have MEMORY INC/DEC programmed.
So a good tip is, set the CONTROL PREFERENCE: to SYSTEM/GLOBAL if planning to set up a CONTROL FUNCTION: for BANK INC/DEC or MEMORY INC/DEC so that you don't get stuck arriving in the next MEMORY PATCH.

CONTROL SOURCE: The CONTROL SOURCE can be the physical onboard pedals or externally connected pedals. These can be thought of as the physical switches for triggering the function/behavior in the device. For some examples: PEDAL1, PEDAL2, PEDAL3, CTL1, CTL2, CTL3, EXP, EXP1, onboard/external, external MIDI device MIDI CC#.

CONTROL FUNCTION: The actual target function/behavior that you want to control. This could be as previously mentioned above: BANK INC/DEC, PATCH INC/DEC, EFFECT: ON/OFF, PATCH 1-5 access, PATCH 1-4 access, TUNER ON/OFF, MEMORY/MANUAL MODE, etc.

CONTROL MODE: If applicable, this can change the behavior of the foot switch/pedal/controller.
Most common would be to have this set to TOGGLE/LATCH MODE = press ON, press again OFF.
Alternately MOMENTARY MODE = press hold ON, release OFF.
NOTE: Use MOMENTARY for EXPRESSION PEDAL RANGE SWEEP and for MIDI CC# when applicable.

ASSIGNMENTS can not be SYSTEM/GLOBAL and must be programmed in the MEMORY patch and WRITE/saved to MEMORY; they are often helpful for more detailed micro/detailed control of a specific parameter. Some BOSS devices have ASSIGNMENTS already setup by default for external CTL 1/2 EXP controllers, conveniently setup by default, expecting new users will have these at the ready when they purchase and connect a sold separately external BOSS FS-6, FS-7, EV-5 or EV-30 pedal controller.
For example: TARGET > DELAY EFFECT PARAMETERS: EFFECT LEVEL/RATE/DELAY TIME type parameters.
User experimentation and testing is encouraged, and we suggest trying to TARGET a behavior/parameter that is easily visually seen in the EFFECT CHAIN switching ON/OFF or heard audibly.

Note: ASSIGNMENTS can be used in place of a CONTROL FUNCTION. So if a CONTROL FUNCTION is set to OFF, an ASSIGNMENT can be used in its place, however the ASSIGNMENT can only be MEMORY PATCH specific/unique and not SYSTEM/GLOBALLY applied. ASSIGNMENTS must be programmed and WRITE/SAVED for every USER PATCH. It may be necessary to use an added ASSIGNMENT for LED ON/OFF if CONTROL FUNCTION is set to OFF.

ASSIGNMENTS usually consist of the following necessary setup parameters/key components that need to be user customized.

ASSIGN SW/SWITCH: ON/OFF Useful for testing, set to ON for using the ASSIGNMENT, turn OFF to bypass the ASSIGNMENT. Remember the ASSIGNMENT SWITCH ON/OFF can be used to individually bypass any ASSIGN and provided to be helpful in checking your ASSIGNMENTS one by one, especially helpful when confused, what ASSIGN is doing what?

ASSIGN SOURCE: Onboard or external pedal switch/trigger. Similar to CONTROL SOURCE, this is the actual physical switch the user manually presses to activate/trigger behavior. For example, for the RC-500, the onboard PEDAL 1, PEDAL2, PEDAL3 or CTL1/CTL2/EXP (EXTERNALLY CONNECTED).
Additionally important for ASSIGNMENTS is that external MIDI CC# data from an external MIDI CONTROLLER can be used as a trigger similar to a pedal.

Note: By using the same CONTROL SOURCE and ASSIGN SOURCE, you can have layered control with a both CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT TARGET. An example when this could be used is for example: CTL SOURCE and ASSIGN SOURCE are both CTL1 pedal, with the CONTROL FUNCTION = OD/DS ON/OFF, ASSIGN1 TARGET = DELAY ON/OFF. Both OD/DS and DELAY will turn ON/OFF with the same CTL1 pedal press.

ASSIGN SOURCE MODE: MOMENTARY or TOGGLE/LATCH
MOMENTARY = switch behavior is press hold for ON, release: OFF.
TOGGLE/LATCH = switch behavior is press for ON, press again for OFF.
MOMENT MODE is commonly used for EXPRESSION control range sweep or MIDI CC applications.

ASSIGN TARGET: This is the user chosen TARGET behavior/parameter. Refer to device owner's manual or parameter guide for the available ASSIGNMENT TARGET list, or go into the device ASSIGN menu and navigate through available TARGET choices.
(See below for some different BOSS device PARAMETER GUIDE > ASSIGN TARGET options. These TARGET selections are quite extensive, so these will be abbreviated for this article).

TARGET MIN: MINIMUM SETTING relates to TARGET selected.
Options will change depending on TARGET, for example TARGET LEVEL: MIN/MAX: 0/200 or can be EFFECT MIN/MAX: OFF/ON
TARGET MAX: MAXIMUM SETTING relates to TARGET selected.
Options will change depending on TARGET, for example TARGET LEVEL: MIN/MAX: 0/200 or can be EFFECT MIN/MAX: OFF/ON

ASSIGNMENT TARGET MENU PARAMETER EXAMPLES AND ASSIGN TARGETS:

GX-100 ASSIGN MENU AND TARGETS here (NEW HTML GX-100 PARAMETER GUIDE!)
https://static.roland.com/manuals/gx-100_parameter/eng/25629887.html

RC-500 ASSIGN TARGET EXAMPLES:

SY-300 ASSIGN TARGET EXAMPLES, SEE SY-300 PARAMETER GUIDE page 16

GT-1000 ASSIGN TARGET EXAMPLES, SEE GT-1000 PARAMETER GUIDE page 32

[/i]

Elantric

Roland US created a decent 19 page Workshop manual PDF for the old Boss GT-10 that walks you through setting up Control Assignments - same paradigm is employed on other Roland gear (VG-88 / VG-99 / GP-10/GR-55 /SY-300)

so its worth reading

GT-10 Realtime Effects Control
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/gt-10/support_documents/c7cb8139-c609-4010-9105-7d73d0ac52de/

Elantric

https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/articles/4525984296475-BOSS-Device-Control-Function-VS-Assignments-Explained-

BOSS Device Control Function VS. Assignments Explained
11 days ago Updated
In this article, we'd like to discuss some shared BOSS device menu options for CONTROL FUNCTIONS and ASSIGNMENTS. Many new users are confused by the CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT parameters, how they are used, implemented and how they are different. These user customizable options are key to using your BOSS device for personalized manual foot control and your specific musical creative needs. This article will explore these menus and help expand any BOSS device user's knowledge and understanding of these CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT menus. These menus and parameters that are available in most all BOSS devices.
For some device examples: GT-1, GT-1B, GT-001, GT-100, GT-1000/CORE, GX-100, RC-5, RC-300, RC-10R, RC-500, RC-505 MK1/MK2, RC-600, SY-200, SY-300, BOSS 200 and 500 series pedals, etc.

CONTROL FUNCTION MENU EXPLAINED:
Fundamental take away for CONTROL FUNCTIONS for any BOSS device, is that CONTROL FUNCTIONS provide mostly common general control functionality for onboard pedal foot switches and expression pedal controls. These also are used for externally connected pedal foot switches/expression pedals and control. Usually, for a new BOSS device, there are default CONTROL FUNCTIONS with functionality/behavior already setup for your device; so that out of the box your BOSS pedal is ready to use with the more common general controls to user navigate for immediate performance.
For example, a CONTROL FUNCTION would be used for: BANK INC/DEC, PATCH INC/DEC, EFFECT: ON/OFF, PATCH 1-5 access, PATCH 1-4 access, TUNER ON/OFF, MEMORY/MANUAL MODE switch, etc.

Here are the common CONTROL FUNCTION menu parameters that you'll see in your BOSS device CONTROL FUNCTION menu and some general descriptions from us to assist users.

CONTROL PREFERENCE:
Best to decide first if the CTL PREF is SYSTEM/GLOBAL (function/behavior across all patches, user can "set it, forget it" no save needed) OR if it should be set to MEMORY/PATCH (MEMORY PATCH unique/specific - needs to be WRITE/SAVED).
NOTE: This is important to decide and set the CTL PREF parameter first, otherwise changing this parameter after programming the other CONTROL FUNCTION menu parameters (like Source/Function/Mode) may reset/erase these parameters. This may occur when switching the CTL PREF: from MEMORY PATCH to SYSTEM. So, before setting any other CONTROL FUNCTION parameter, set the CTL PREF parameter first. Ask yourself, will this be a SYSTEM/GLOBAL control that you want across all MEMORY PATCHES, or is it a control/behavior you want only for this specific MEMORY PATCH? Decide and set.

Note: A common mistake, for example, is to leave the CTL PREF: to MEMORY and program the CONTROL FUNCTION: to MEMORY INC/DEC, when CTL PREF: should be set to SYSTEM/GLOBAL.
If CTL PREF: is MEMORY/PATCH, you'll arrive at the next patch using MEMORY INC/DEC and get stuck because the MEMORY/PATCH you've arrived at doesn't have MEMORY INC/DEC programmed.
So a good tip is, set the CONTROL PREFERENCE: to SYSTEM/GLOBAL if planning to set up a CONTROL FUNCTION: for BANK INC/DEC or MEMORY INC/DEC so that you don't get stuck arriving in the next MEMORY PATCH.

CONTROL SOURCE:
The CONTROL SOURCE can be the physical onboard pedals or externally connected pedals. These can be thought of as the physical switches for triggering the function/behavior in the device. For some examples: PEDAL1, PEDAL2, PEDAL3, CTL1, CTL2, CTL3, EXP, EXP1, onboard/external, external MIDI device MIDI CC#.

CONTROL FUNCTION:
The actual target function/behavior that you want to control. This could be as previously mentioned above: BANK INC/DEC, PATCH INC/DEC, EFFECT: ON/OFF, PATCH 1-5 access, PATCH 1-4 access, TUNER ON/OFF, MEMORY/MANUAL MODE, etc.

CONTROL MODE:
If applicable, this can change the behavior of the foot switch/pedal/controller.
Most common would be to have this set to TOGGLE/LATCH MODE = press ON, press again OFF.
Alternately MOMENTARY MODE = press hold ON, release OFF.
NOTE: Use MOMENTARY for EXPRESSION PEDAL RANGE SWEEP and for MIDI CC# when applicable.

ASSIGNMENTS MENU EXPLAINED
Fundamental take away for ASSIGNMENTS in any BOSS device, is that they provide individual or layered control together or separate from the CONTROL FUNCTIONS (CONTROL FUNCTIONS are typically more macro broad control behavior). ASSIGNMENTS are MEMORY location patch unique and specific. ASSIGNMENTS can not be SYSTEM/GLOBAL and must be programmed in the MEMORY patch and WRITE/saved to MEMORY; they are often helpful for more detailed micro/detailed control of a specific parameter. Some BOSS devices have ASSIGNMENTS already setup by default for external CTL 1/2 EXP controllers, conveniently setup by default, expecting new users will have these at the ready when they purchase and connect a sold separately external BOSS FS-6, FS-7, EV-5 or EV-30 pedal controller.
For example: TARGET > DELAY EFFECT PARAMETERS: EFFECT LEVEL/RATE/DELAY TIME type parameters.
User experimentation and testing is encouraged, and we suggest trying to TARGET a behavior/parameter that is easily visually seen in the EFFECT CHAIN switching ON/OFF or heard audibly.

Note: ASSIGNMENTS can be used in place of a CONTROL FUNCTION. So if a CONTROL FUNCTION is set to OFF, an ASSIGNMENT can be used in its place, however the ASSIGNMENT can only be MEMORY PATCH specific/unique and not SYSTEM/GLOBALLY applied. ASSIGNMENTS must be programmed and WRITE/SAVED for every USER PATCH. It may be necessary to use an added ASSIGNMENT for LED ON/OFF if CONTROL FUNCTION is set to OFF.

ASSIGNMENTS usually consist of the following necessary setup parameters/key components that need to be user customized.

ASSIGN SW/SWITCH:
ON/OFF Useful for testing, set to ON for using the ASSIGNMENT, turn OFF to bypass the ASSIGNMENT. Remember the ASSIGNMENT SWITCH ON/OFF can be used to individually bypass any ASSIGN and provided to be helpful in checking your ASSIGNMENTS one by one, especially helpful when confused, what ASSIGN is doing what?

ASSIGN SOURCE:
Onboard or external pedal switch/trigger. Similar to CONTROL SOURCE, this is the actual physical switch the user manually presses to activate/trigger behavior. For example, for the RC-500, the onboard PEDAL 1, PEDAL2, PEDAL3 or CTL1/CTL2/EXP (EXTERNALLY CONNECTED).
Additionally important for ASSIGNMENTS is that external MIDI CC# data from an external MIDI CONTROLLER can be used as a trigger similar to a pedal.

Note: By using the same CONTROL SOURCE and ASSIGN SOURCE, you can have layered control with a both CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGNMENT TARGET. An example when this could be used is for example: CTL SOURCE and ASSIGN SOURCE are both CTL1 pedal, with the CONTROL FUNCTION = OD/DS ON/OFF, ASSIGN1 TARGET = DELAY ON/OFF. Both OD/DS and DELAY will turn ON/OFF with the same CTL1 pedal press.

ASSIGN SOURCE MODE: MOMENTARY or TOGGLE/LATCH
MOMENTARY = switch behavior is press hold for ON, release: OFF.
TOGGLE/LATCH = switch behavior is press for ON, press again for OFF.
MOMENT MODE is commonly used for EXPRESSION control range sweep or MIDI CC applications.

ASSIGN TARGET:
This is the user chosen TARGET behavior/parameter. Refer to device owner's manual or parameter guide for the available ASSIGNMENT TARGET list, or go into the device ASSIGN menu and navigate through available TARGET choices.
(See below for some different BOSS device PARAMETER GUIDE > ASSIGN TARGET options. These TARGET selections are quite extensive, so these will be abbreviated for this article).

TARGET MIN:
MINIMUM SETTING relates to TARGET selected.

TARGET MAX:
MAXIMUM SETTING relates to TARGET selected.

shannonrichards

Quote from: Elantric on January 25, 2008, 05:49:04 AMWe probably need a wiki - since Roland has not been able to educate the masses regarding the main feature of COSM DSP Modeling 13 pin processing V-Guitar systems that have been kicking around since 1995

Must join VGuitarforums to see the pdf files attached to each post below
Roland / Boss employ same FX naming conventions for decades
details are in older user created docs for prior Boss / Roland gear

https://smallpdf.com/blog/translate-pdf

https://www.scribd.com/doc/7297659/Boss-GT-8-Brilliance

https://www.scribd.com/doc/6727925/The-Boss-Gt-5-by-Simon-Lees

But remember these basic facts

With all Roland products, Anytime you encounter the term "COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) Processing " - this means near instantaneous zero latency processing - without the mis triggering or latency delays of "GUITAR to MIDI" Systems for guitars.
HEX COSM is NOT Guitar to MIDI or GUITAR to PCM SYNTH ( both suffer latency delays that many cannot tolerate.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/exp/COSM.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_modelling_synthesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Corporation
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html

Roland  V-Guitar  products with hexaphonic COSM processing (using a GK Divided pickup) which support guitar modeling, Alt Tunings with near zero latency:
1995 Roland VG-8 VGuitar floor unit ($2500 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/442

1998 Roland VG-8EX VGuitar floor unit ($1900 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/443

2000 Roland VG-88 VGuitar floor unit with support for normal guitars too ($1300 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/242

2001 Roland VGA-7 VGuitar Stereo Amp ($1500 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/251

2007 Roland VG-99 VGuitar system  with DUAL COSM modeling, Guitar to MIDI and support for normal guitars too ($1300 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/849

2007 Fender VG Strat ($1600 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep07/articles/fendervgstrat.htm

Boss GT-10 Realtime Effects Control
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT10WS01.pdf

2011 Roland GR-55 with Guitar to PCM, Guitar to MIDI, and COSM modeling  ($699 MSRP retail at release)
(only the COSM section of the GR-55 has near zero latency, other modes will have latency delays)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1148

2012 Fender/ Roland G5 VG STRATOCASTER ($1700 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1188

2014 Boss GP-10 with COSM modeling, Guitar to MIDI (over USB), and COSM "Re-Guitaring" with multiple audio channels as a USB Audio Interface (one channel per string) ($399 MSRP retail at release)
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1319

Roland COSM  - In Depth understanding can be gained by reading these in depth documents on Rolands top COSM product of 2004, the Roland GS-10.

Roland GS-10 COSM dynamic processor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=68

Roland GS-10 COSM Speaker
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=69

Many concepts can be directly applied to the VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10 /SY-1000

(log in and look below for the download links)

"The Roland GS-10's  Preamp/Speaker  effect contains sophisticated amplifier,  speaker and microphone
simulations: all in all it is associated with about thirty parameters.
In order to work with this complicated effect in an intelligent manner, it is vital to know in some
detail what all these parameters actually achieve and how they interact. Unfortunately, the Owner's
Manual gets no further than its familiarly terse descriptions.
This document tries to fill in some of these gaps, by providing detailed explanations and analyses.
The document first explains a few relevant basic audio concepts. Then it outlines Preamp/Speaker's
overall effect structure. After that it tackles the various effect sections and their parameters one by one,
aided by numerous frequency response plots. Then it discusses in considerable detail many aspects of
the individual emulated preamp types. "

If you want to obtain more incite and better explanations of how Roland gear works - review the OWNERS MANUALS for the earliest examples of current gear.

For example the GR-55 and GP-10 Owners Manuals simply list all the various FX functions and Control Features, but totally omit any explanation or examples of how to actually use these controls or how they interact.

Here is the 1999 Roland VG-88 Owners Manual  - ITS A MUST READ!  - it lays a better foundation with explanations of how the Internal Wave Pedal and Expression Pedal Min/Max FX range,Assign Hold, etc,  work.
 http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1811457/VG-88_e5.pdf

Thank you for sharing.