Meeting with Roland product demonstrator

Started by Elantric, September 01, 2012, 12:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosaintnick

I know it's been posted in the wish list but please, oh please, won't Roland give us midi switchable HOLD on the 55? Arpeggiator on the 55 or 99 would be rad too.

New product ideas could include single feature GK pedals. Hex pitch, Slow Gear/ADSR filter, COSM instrument modeler, etc. Make them linkable via a solid male to male coupler to connect between pedals. Maybe linking them this way could allow you to route sound audio and control data through the whole system? Like use the first pedals on/off switch as a master for all pedals. This shouldn't be in place of standard 1/4" outs one each pedal though, just a complement.

Elantric

QuoteNew product ideas could include single feature GK pedals.

They actually tried that before  - 15 years ago.
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/WP-20G_OC-20G.pdf

Amazing Synth-Type sounds in a Convenient
GK Effect Pedal.
The WP-20G Wave Processor produces fat synth-type
sounds in a compact pedal designed for 13-pin GK pickupequipped
guitars. A total of six unique sounds are
provided—including Saw Lead, Square, Ring Mod, Slow
Gear, Sitar and Acoustic—as well as 11 chorus and delay
effects, plus simple knobs for easy tweaking.

An Octave Pedal Like No Other.
As its name suggests, the OC-20G Poly Octave is the world's first polyphonic
octave pedal for use with GK pickup-equipped guitars. Octaves can be
assigned to different strings for simulated guitar/bass combos, and built-in
electric and acoustic guitar simulations—plus thick distortion—add to the
sonic possibilities. This pedal even accommodates playing chords while
using octaves.

Review:
http://ericsgearpage.blogspot.com/2012/08/boss-wp-20g-wave-processor.html

Bill Ruppert

I had the WP-20 and it was a real dog!
Nothing like the VG-99 or 88.
Sent it back the day I got it.

Quote from: Elantric on September 09, 2012, 07:11:48 PM
They actually tried that before  - 15 years ago.
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/WP-20G_OC-20G.pdf

Amazing Synth-Type sounds in a Convenient
GK Effect Pedal.
The WP-20G Wave Processor produces fat synth-type
sounds in a compact pedal designed for 13-pin GK pickupequipped
guitars. A total of six unique sounds are
provided—including Saw Lead, Square, Ring Mod, Slow
Gear, Sitar and Acoustic—as well as 11 chorus and delay
effects, plus simple knobs for easy tweaking.

An Octave Pedal Like No Other.
As its name suggests, the OC-20G Poly Octave is the world's first polyphonic
octave pedal for use with GK pickup-equipped guitars. Octaves can be
assigned to different strings for simulated guitar/bass combos, and built-in
electric and acoustic guitar simulations—plus thick distortion—add to the
sonic possibilities. This pedal even accommodates playing chords while
using octaves.

Review:
http://ericsgearpage.blogspot.com/2012/08/boss-wp-20g-wave-processor.html

tekrytor

I still have one.   >:( DOH! it's pretty cool for its footprint. I bet it would be a fun box to hack, add some feedback and distortion controls.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Now_And_Then

Maybe I will play the WP-20g into the Electro-Harmonix Superego when it gets here later this week. I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be a very fitting application for it.

nosaintnick

Kevin M

papabuss

Elantric, please report and tell us about your meeting with Gundy. I'm very interested in the results.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

Our meeting went well.

Gundy and his daughter were visiting the USA on vacation, - here is a pic from the Santa Barbara pier

I met Gundy in January 2011 at the NAMM show where he was doing eleven GR-55 product demos each day for 4 days straight - he was glad to make contact with VGuitarForums because he knew Bill Ruppert hung out here (truth) 

Gundy contacted me recently because he wanted one of my modified Roland US-20's with the "MagicBox" upgrade mod - so we exchanged US-20's.

The MagicBox Mod details:
Provides Guitar IN for the GR-55, or an External Guitar FX I/O for placing external effects in front of the GR-55 or VG-99/VB-99 Normal Guitar Input signal path in the 13pin cable.
It also provides a method for remote control of GK-3 S1, S2 switches using a standard dual momentary foot pedal (FS-6)   

Gundy and I talked guitars and Roland for a few hours. We agreed that the Roland products we use have many sonic benefits, along with many "what were they thinking?" features.

I brought a few guitars and MIDi Controllers for Gundy to try too
You Rock  Gen2 (my current favorite MIDI guitar this week)

DiPinto Galaxie IV "Los Straitjackets" model (my Favorite Surf Instrumental Guitar)

Not much more to report at this time. He was aware of the significant growth worldwide of VGuitarForums - due in large part to the release of the GR-55,  and in the future he may be able to contribute here. We are working to make the best use of his perspective and knowledge

papabuss

Elantric, THX again for your very quick (as usual) response and the photos.
THIS SITE ROCKS! (+2) ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

whippinpost91850

ELANTRIC, THANKS FOR THE REPORT. SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS A FUN EXPERIENCE.. TOO BAD NO INSIDE NEWS. :'(

Elantric

Basically all the points we bring up here on the Forum, are the same thoughts Gundy has.

For example:
* We both think Roland should have provided the GR-55 with more DSP horsepower, a Normal Guitar Input, External Expression pedal / Switch inputs, and provided faster patch changes with Reverb Tails. Even the ten year old Boss GT-8 provided those features.

* We both share the same "crystal ball" predictions that if a future version of the VG-99 is ever released, it will no doubt be a very dumbed down  - less features"  version, rather like the GR-20 was a "dumbed down  - less features"  version of the GR-33. I doubt we will ever see a product with the features and retail price of the VG-99 from Roland again.

* The world economy is really slow, and Roland sales are down all around the globe. This shakes up things a bit, yet can provide opportunities for other smaller companies to build a better mouse trap.

* Gundy does have a business in Germany as a Consultant and at this point in time he prefers not to participate on user forums
http://www.gundykeller.com/

aliensporebomb

Great pics and info - it's Elantric: 13-pin ambassador.

Yes, it would be great to get Gundy on here when he has time.  His patches are a lot of fun and I enjoy the ones he's shared.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Toby Krebs

That Dipinto guitar screams fun! Very Cool! Thanks!