Anyone with any experience with the Turbosound IP2000 PA?

Started by pedwards2932, October 11, 2016, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedwards2932

The specs on these look pretty good and price wise much cheaper than Bose.  Just wondering if anyone had tried them out.  My band is looking to downsize our PA system:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP2000

HoosierMan

I don't have the IP2000, but I do have the IP1000 and I really like it.

The pros:  I have used it for a few gigs in medium sized venues and got good feedback on its sound and coverage.  The Bluetooth feature works flawlessly and with the Turbosound app, from your iPhone/iPad you can adjust volume, including separate controls for each input, master volume and a subwoofer control, plus EQ, not to mention stream audio from your iPhone/iPad to the system.  It does not have built in FX, so if you want reverb, etc. on your voice or instrument you will need to take care of that yourself.

The cons:  The subwoofer is coated with something akin to rough grade sandpaper.....so be careful that you don't bump it into the wall or you might strip the drywall of the wall.  Also, it did not come with covers/cases and none were available from Turbosound at the time I purchased the system, however I believe they are available now.  I ended up making my own covers.

pedwards2932

Sounds good....I plan to use a mixer and will run everything thru it guitar, bass,drums and keyboard with 3 vocal mic which is why I am looking at the IP2000 and will probably get 2 for when we do larger venues.  I guess I'll have to get a used ipad.....doesn't work with Android?

HoosierMan

Hey everyone, an update....I got to use my turbosound system for a gig again this weekend and it again worked flawlessly!  The only major problem was that I forgot the power cord....but fortunately the facility had an extra one that I borrowed!  ::).  Having the mixer controls on my iPhone was a real plus because a church group showed up with a bunch of kids to do decorations and pumpkin carving during the show so volume adjustments were most necessary!   I can't tell much difference  sound wise from this compared to a Bose system.

pedwards2932

Well I purchased the IP2000 and will test it this week with the band.  It only came with a quick set up guide no manual.  There are 4 quick sets for the DSP do you use the Live setting or the Music setting?  I think we are going to buy 2 of these if this tests out okay.  That way we have a backup plus if the venue requires more volume we can use both.  Have you found the single system to be enough for most gigs?

HoosierMan

So far I have used the Live setting.  There has been more than enough volume and the sound dispersion is very even. I even had to turn it down a little from what I thought was optimal.  What you hear standing in front of it is different that farther back in the room as the sound seems to carry really well.  Like I said, so far I have no complaints other than the scratchy finish on the sub.

pedwards2932

That sounds encouraging.....I was a little disappointed their wasn't a better manual to explain the setup parameters.  It looks like it has an input volume level and an output level but if you are using a mixing board what is the best way to set the input/output level? I'm guessing you set the volume level to flat 0 then use the mixer to adjust volume. A lot of these questions will be answered when we set it up this week.

Pete1959

I had a chance to listen to the IP1000 at a local retailer and was impressed.
My only issue was there was a bit of distortion at elevated levels but then again, it was audio via bluetooth and don't know the quality of the sales rep's MP3.

They had no IP2000 units in stock but expect to have in the near future.
If the IP1000 model I heard is an indicator, the IP2000 is the one to get.

I eagerly await feedback and hope to test it out later.

Question to me would be if the IP2000 is a viable alternative to Bose.
If yes, does paying about half for these also cut the performance by the same?

pedwards2932

I fired mine up today just to make sure how the controls worked and to familiarize myself with it.  I have an acoustic guitar that I had stuffed with pillow stuffing to deaden it as much as possible and have a GK pickup on it with my GR 55.  I played it and walked around and the sound is very consistent.  No buzzing or humming from the amp and very clear sound.  I was using the Live setting.  I then hooked up a mic and as I turned it up I was getting feedback.....what the heck thought that was not going to be an issue.  Tried messing with the EQ but no luck then I noticed the guitar was facing the PA turned up pretty good......turned down the guitar and no feedback and I could turn the mic up with no problems.  Not sure if I am going to have to deaden the guitar more because it was pointing at the PA when I got the feedback.  All in All I think it sounds really good to me......will try it  this week with the band and see how it goes.

HoosierMan

Cool.  I definitely don't think the Bose sounds twice as good for twice the price.

The IP1000 is more than enough for me as I use it for solo gigs.  I do turn the volume level for the sub up a bit to get enough low end since the IP1000 only  has two 8" woofers in the sub.  If I play outdoors I might add another speaker to augment the bass.  But hey, I'm a bass player, so I am biased!

pedwards2932

Well we practiced with the system last night and I have to say it sounds great.  I haven't used a Bose system to compare but the sound was clean and clear.  We played in a living room and the sound coverage was great.....absolutely no feed back except the bass players acoustic bass would if he wasn't holding it....needs to get a sound hole cover.  He didn't have flat wound strings so we were also getting a lot of fret buzz and finger sliding sounds.  My "acoustic" guitar is totally deadened by filling with pillow stuffing and a sound hole cover because I am just using my GR 55.  The drummer was just using a Yamaha table top drum which we use for practice and even it sounded pretty good. I turned the system up to way over a volume that we would play and it handled it with no feedback so I would venture to say this could handle any small 150 - 200 person club with the type of music we are playing.  If you really want to kick it up you may need to use 2 of them but 2 of them are still less money than some of the higher end Bose systems.

Chumly

Turbosound iNSPIRE  iP1000 ver 1 or ver 2 socially and operationally?

I found this video, but otherwise I cannot find any information on what differences there may be socially and operationally outside of the fact that maybe ver 1 cannot link with ver 2

Help much appreciated!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

Even the Music Tribe forum appears baffled as the only response has been "The V1 speakers cannot perform the software update V2 can."
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

Ya'll will be happy to know I purchased a pair of Turbosound iP1000 and they turned out to be the version 2's.

Compared to my other systems (which are all two-way boxes on stands) these Turbosound iP1000 have better mid-range articulation and much better mid-range dispersion.  None of my two-way boxes on stands have subs, so these Turbosound iP1000 are (no surprise) substantially more present in the lower frequencies.

I have not done any real-time side by side testing with my two-way boxes on stands, so hearing memory being what it is, this mini-assessment is rather subjective at best, but not without merit, as I recall my other systems well, given I've used them for years.

The high frequencies on the Turbosound iP1000 are also smooth and articulate without being undesirably present, but then the same can be said for my better two-way boxes on stands.

One thing I did notice is that the Turbosound iP1000 respond much more vigorously to thier internal EQ than my two-way boxes on stands ever responded to changes on my mixing board's four band EQ.

The built-in EQ, Bluetooth, reverb, separate sub level, speaker link, etc. are all nice additions compared to my two-way boxes on stands, which have no such fancy stuff.

My wife thinks they sound plenty good enough to substitute for home hi-fi speakers, me I am not sure I would go that far, but maybe.