FC 300 as midi interface

Started by Weed_, March 16, 2013, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weed_

Hello!

At the moment I have my FC300 connected via midi out to Korg padKontrols midi in, so I can use it with ableton live.
Now, I also have a Yamaha keyboard with midi, and I was thinking of connecting it to the midi in port on FC300, and also use it with computer.
However, when keyboard is plugged directly to padKontrol, I works just fine, but when I connect it to FC300, I get no midi msg from keyboard.
Is this not possible or do I have to adjust some setting on FC300??

If not with FC300, can I use my VG-99 instead for same function?

Thanks,
Vid

P.S.:
It looks like the fc300 is sending midi to keyboard, since I hear a note everytime i press any buttno.. The cable is pluged into midi out though..

Brent Flash

MIDI does not pass thru a device unless the device has a "thru" output plug or the device has this feature to merge the MIDI data and output all. So the answer is no it will not pass the MIDI messages through the FC-300. You will need a way to merge the MIDI if you want both going into the Korg device.

Weed_

Thanks!
How 'bout VG-99?
Keyboard midi out->VG-99 midi in->Usb->computer?

Brent Flash

Quote from: Weed_ on March 16, 2013, 02:38:50 PM
Thanks!
How 'bout VG-99?
Keyboard midi out->VG-99 midi in->Usb->computer?
No, sorry, usually MIDI devices either generate MIDI (to control a device) that is output from the MIDI OUT or they are controlled by a MIDI device when a controller is connected to its MIDI IN. Even if the device has a MIDI THRU on it what you generate in that device will only be output from the MIDI OUT and what comes in the MIDI IN will be sent to the MIDI THRU. Neither the FC or the VG have the through function or merge function. You can buy a device that will do merge MIDI devices and output everything from one MIDI OUT.