Looking for a good iPad SoftSynth App (I think)

Started by habious, March 26, 2014, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

habious

I think what I'm looking for is a good SoftSynth app, but maybe I'm using the wrong term (which would explain why I can't seem to find one).

I have a VG-99 and a iPad MIDI interface.  I want to use my guitar, into the VG-99, and trigger the sounds on the iPad app.

I've had no problem finding "SoftSynth" apps for the Iphone/Ipad, but they all seem to be of the same flavor..."retro analog synth".

Hard as it might be to believe, I'm actually not in a 70's prog rock cover band.

I don't want that "classic analog sound", I want thoroughly modern sounds.  I want an extremely realistic-sounding piano, and sax, and strings, and Hammond organ, etc.  Basically, I want all the sounds my Casio keyboard makes...without having to lug my Casio keyboard around!

I'm not looking to do "House" or "Trance" music...I just want to make "music".

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good iPad app to do this?

Is what I'm looking for called something other than a "SoftSynth"?
-  Greg Custom Guitars "KARMA"
-  FretLight FG-421 (factory Ghost-equipped)
-  Steinberger GL7TA (non-GK)
(all guitars are lefties!)

-  VG-99
-  VGA-7 (for gigs)
-  Line6 SpiderValve MkII 212

Elantric

GovernorSilver

montyrivers

Garage band is also pretty good.  Best hammond organ for 5 bucks, complete with drawbars.  Also the multisampled classical piano is pretty good.

GovernorSilver

I forgot Garageband has a Hammond organ too. I should try it sometime, though I doubt it would knock Galileo off the throne as the king of iOS Hammonds - JMO of course!  I got it when Apple switch the price to freemium (free for the app itself, plus IAP for certain instruments).

Here's a video comparing the Hammond organs in Garageband and Galileo:

In the Keyboard Corner forum, Galileo is more popular by far - lot of the players love the overdrive as well as the organ modeling.  Also, it has a fairly complete MIDI implementation while Garageband's weakness has been lack of MIDI export (dunno if that's ever been addressed).

Galileo is $10 but occasionally goes on sale: http://www.yonac.com/galileo/
GarageBand is free but you may or may not have to pay for the organ now.

Other apps to look at along the lines of Sampletank:

SoundFont Pro:

BS-16i: http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/

Aph

SY-1000  v1.08
BTS for SY-1000  v1.02

GovernorSilver