HELP - Need to be able to attenuate YouTube/ Safari volume on iOS7

Started by mbenigni, January 13, 2014, 07:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Here's a question for the guys who are using their iPads for amp sims - especially for practice/ learning sessions.  One of those seemingly little details that consistently throws a wrench in the works.

Basically, I need an independent volume control for YouTube video on iOS7.  This is really important if, for instance, you're running Bias in the background and practicing along with YouTube clips.  9 times out of 10 the video will be mixed/compressed so loudly that you can't hear your guitar without getting the amp sim into clipping territory.  On a full desktop viewer, you have a volume control specifically for the video playback, but in the iOS YouTube app or Safari there's no volume control at all, and in other browsers the on-screen volume control just maps to the master volume (i.e. the same as the h/w volume control.)  The upshot is you can't use the multitasking/ background audio feature to set up a Bias/Jam Up/Amplitube rig and then surf around learning from all the excellent educational material and backing tracks available on YouTube.  So I'm back to firing up two different computers, and I'm stapled to my desk again.  First World problems, etc. but this kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Neither the YouTube app nor any of the iOS browsers are Audiobus compatible, so I can't even try to mix the YouTube audio downstream.  I've tried every which way but nada.  Has anyone else tackled this with any success?

Dear Apple - a s/w volume control on your YouTube app = a simple thing that would make me exceedingly happy.

Ringleader

Totally agree. So annoying.

This isn't going to fix your issue, but for Youtube vids have you tried the Swift Player app? It allows you to slow down streaming vids/music to 50%, allows you to download streaming vids/music to store for offline viewing, allows looping between points, and has a built in browser for finding your media online. I use it for teaching and I'll never go back to straight Youtube again.

I've been meaning to reach out to this developer to request a volume slider and I bet you'd have a better shot with this feature being added with this developer vs. Apple/Google.

mbenigni

Thanks, Ringleader!  If nothing else, I appreciate the bump.

I downloaded a few browsers and YouTube players last night trying to work around this problem, but I don't think Swift Player was among them.  I will definitely check it out.  If it looks like something I'll continue using I'll make a feature request for a volume control.  Seems like such a no-brainer...   ::)

Elantric

QuoteI downloaded a few browsers and YouTube players last night trying to work around this problem, but I don't think Swift Player was among them.  I will definitely check it out.  If it looks like something I'll continue using I'll make a feature request for a volume control.  Seems like such a no-brainer...   ::)

Rumor is this is Googles fault (as they own YouTube), not Apples 

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on January 13, 2014, 02:39:05 PM
Rumor is this is Googles fault (as they own YouTube), not Apples

That may apply to the official YouTube app, but surely a third party could work around the problem.  Actually, the best solution would be adding a Safari volume control, decoupled from the "master" iPad volume.  Then I'd just use the browser version of YouTube.