GR-1 and Graphtech Ghost System - How to?

Started by ccalminana, August 08, 2017, 07:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccalminana

Hello folks!
How are you today?

I've just bought an old (but in perfect conditions) GR-1.
I have a hand made guitar, with the Graphtech MIDI/Piezzo Ghost system and it works pretty fine when I'm using with my other v-guitar pedals (GR-55 and VG-99), but when I connect to the GR-1, it's not making any sound - even using the same connectors (13-pin cable, 1/4'' cable, amp etc.).
My research on this subject shows that Robert Fripp uses the very same equipment as stated above and it works pretty fine...
Is there any particularity I'm not considering? Or it will only work using the GK-2/3? Or is it a broken unit?  ???
Have anyone here tryied this same "combo"?

Thank you very much! Hope you can help me...

Best,
Cesar

mercury1

Have you tried the demo midi sequence to make sure you have output first. If that works next make sure you have synth set to channel 11 ( which is 11-16 in poly mode ) and check your string sensitivity to make sure you have signal. Also some wiring weirdness is sometimes the cause on the mix switch of the piezo setups . The Gr-1 is a great unit which has a multitimberal sound module and does not require the subsonic filter for the guitar synth channels
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

ccalminana

Hello again!
First of all, thank you very much for your help...
I've tested all the settings and modifications you suggested (and some other, as you will see below), but none of them worked.
Here you may find the list of everything I tried:
- reset to factory parameters;
- check strings sensitivity, one by one... it was receiving signal and I could change the parms. with no problem, but no sound after that
- changed to channel 11 on MIDI, and also tried on both MONO and POLY
- tried the demo song, but no sound. one interest thing here is that I also tried the same on other channels and the guitar out (both MONO and STEREO outs) played the song properly. both main outputs didn't work.
- also checked both chromatic and dynamic sensitivity... no changes at all

Do you have any other clue or can I call it broken?  :(

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Cesar

mercury1

If I'm understanding you correctly , you have sound out of the stereo mix out with some settings. There is in order: a volume expression input far left then, ev5 input, guitar out, guitar effects loop return right and left, mix out right and left(mono) then phones. First go to system-midi and make sure you have Local set to On , Basic should be 11, Oct should be Norm.
The gr-1 had a 4 part multitimberal sound module that plays the demo song on midi channels 1-10. you set the guitar synth channel to 11 because it will be taking up channels 11-16 . I believe the synth mutes if the local is set to "off" which may be the problem. The guitar out is just your guitar pickup output you send to guitar amp . There is also a return if you wanted to use a guitar processor and return to route to the mix out. You should have no synth or midi from the guitar out or guitar return.
I would use a 1\4" guitar cable and contact cleaner spray (power off! and unplugged) insert it and remove several times into the volume and ev5 to eliminate the possibility of oxidization with these jacks.
The multi midi channels can be changed via the recorder/part they are usually part 1-3 :channel !-3 and drum channel is always 10
If you have output from the mixout I would think it works and there must be something incompatible with the graphtech.
I shorted my cable one time and blew my gr-1 up and everything seemed to work but no sound . I sent it back to Roland a they fixed it for $150 but that was many years ago
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

ccalminana

I unfortunately had to return the GR1, but I'll find another one asap.
Thank you for all your help!

ccalminana

Almost 3 years later, and I'm back here, with another GR-1. And it AGAIN appears to have something wrong.

No sound going out, from the synth or the demo song (pressing play). No sensitivity on any string.

Already tried to reset to factory settings and changed MIDI configs (channel 11, local on, Oct norm and bend 12). Nothing.

All wiring set up, as simple as possible, just using GK in and Mix out (mono) -- just the same connections as I use for my GR-55 and work pretty fine. One funny fact: cables are working, since the GK command to enter into the tuner mode works -- and of course, the GR-55 also works, as I said just above.

Tried the phones and guitar outs, but no sound as well.

Any clues on that or am I going to return the unit again?

admin

Roland GR-1 - Released in 1990 are pushing 30 Years old now - and its likely many will need electrolytic cap change to funciton

but start here:

--

Roland GR-1 Initializing – Factory Reset
Article #1709629 Published on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM
The following procedure can be used to clear the internal memory and reload the factory settings:

(CAUTION: All USER information will be lost. Be sure to back up any information you wish to keep.)

1. Power on while holding WRITE/COPY. The display will show "ALL INIT" and "OK?" flashing.

2. Release WRITE/COPY and then press YES. "WAIT" will show in the display for a few seconds. When the Factory reset is complete, "11RHODES" will show in the display.

For confidence - get a GK-2A or GK-3 PU to test the GR-1

Might turn out you have a problem with your Graphtech 13 pin HexPander installation
https://graphtech.com/pages/faq-ghost-hexpander