GP-10 Test Jazz Wes Autana

Started by Brak(E)man, May 21, 2016, 10:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Sorry about my slightly off intonation
And the -1 play along  ::)
But I had to try the jazz sounds on a fretless

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

ainsoph

Brak(E)man

Thanx , nice sound
I'll fatten it up a bit
I have thin gauge strings on fretless
For better sustain

- Lydia Lunch

Autana

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 21, 2016, 10:40:51 AM

"Fretlessly jazzistic" is the first  word coming to mind.  You are a sensible soloist playing with obvious experience behind, reminding of Eddie Gomez and Scott Lafaro with Bill Evans in this case, also Jim Hall in melodic approach and Metheny, with your own blend of sliding "sax like" touch phrasing.
From my perspective, such "slightly off intonation" is an intrinsic (and desirable even in jazz IMHO) quality of fretless instruments. 
The selected backing track is perfect for the purpose, My Funny Valentine is a beatiful standard, the track is included in Jamey Aebersold Play-A-Long vol. 25,  I have it and love the double time to bossa in half past solo section, which you did elaborate so nicely over.
Please if possible, could you tell us a little about your jazz approach ? band experience, studio, recordings.
Thanks for give a try to my jazz L4 patches with so highly musical rate.

Eddie Gomez

Scott Lafaro

Bill Evans

Jim Hall

Aebersold vol. 25

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

jassy

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 21, 2016, 10:40:51 AM

That jazzy fretless phrasing is amazing, so full of expression and lyricism...
I think the only other jazz fretless guitar I recall to have heard is Metheny with a nylon fretless which was usual was astounding. Seems an inexplicably unexplored land.

Brak(E)man

Thank you for those kind words.

My slightly off intonation in the places where I didn't mean to
are due to 2 factors ( there are places where I meant to )  :)

I had spent the day assembling and putting up shades after moving
so my hands where slightly " numb " and I was trying out a new fretless
guitar. My son gave it to me after I gave him a new one. It was unplayable fretted but sounds and plays fine unfretted , worth less than the GK3 thats on there now .
Before mounting GK 3

Something to consider if you want to try fretless , a used crappy cheap guitar can be great !

As far as regular fretted guitars I'm insensitive to radius , scale lengths ,
string gauge and string height etc , but every fretless guitar plays very differently
And I have many , so practice are needed before playing and this was a one shot.
I should probably narrow it down to a few but every guitar feels and sounds diff so.....

I don't consider myself a jazz player but a improvisation musician.
I've studied north Indian classical music as much as bebop or jazz,  western classical etc but I'd never consider me to be either.

I have recorded and gigged in jazz settings from solo to big bands since
early 80ths before that metal and blues. Led Zep, Albert King etc.

Came in contact with jazz through the back door of, Mahavishnu, Miles Bitches Brew.
Peter Brötzmanns Machine Gun , Albert Ayler live at hilversum , John Coltrane Expressions etc.

But couldn't get together my background , distorded guitar with the clean non bending
improv of bebop and even less with the above , that took me a few years.

The story of why I started playing fretless goes back to 77 but it's really the last 15 years
I've played it seriously much due to Indian and Arabic music , but also modal improv and free form.

From unfretted.com

"1977
Sweden – Gunnar Backman enters the fretless scene when he rips the frets off his Hopf acoustic."

I though the frets where off intonation wise, a wee years ago
I decided to fix the guitar up and found that the screw that holds the neck
in position where lose , hidden behind a lid. Without that happening all those years back I might not have played fretless , I had never heard of one or anyone playing such.

- Lydia Lunch

Autana

Quote from: Brak(E)man"1977
Sweden – Gunnar Backman enters the fretless scene when he rips the frets off his Hopf acoustic."

Quote from: Brak(E)manI have recorded and gigged in jazz settings from solo to big bands since
early 80ths before that metal and blues. Led Zep, Albert King etc.

Quote from: Brak(E)manThe story of why I started playing fretless goes back to 77 but it's really the last 15 years
I've played it seriously much due to Indian and Arabic music , but also modal improv and free form.

You have a story worth hearing! Thanks for sharing, all those rich details and tips on music and about fretless guitar are very informative.

Quote from: Brak(E)manI don't consider myself a jazz player but a improvisation musician.

Indeed I can get by myself what you mean.

QuoteSomething to consider if you want to try fretless , a used crappy cheap guitar can be great !

Thanks for point in that aspect! I have a very cheap guitar that is a candidate for dismemberment in order to go fretless. When the right time for do it come,  I will consult you for advice, if you let me.
Although over the years I met a number, about 10 instruments, including banjo and two acoustic, really I have not very expensive guitars, I had two Gibson, Les Paul 69 GT and 355,  and have yet a 60's Stratocaster that I do not use. My current guitars let me do what I want without needing to be "the best (expensive) guitar brand in the world"  and who can also say that a Godin XTSA can not compare in quality with ANY high-ranking  guitar. My Epiphone DOT is equipped with two SH2N - SH4 humbuckers Elitist series, the feeling and vibe is very similar to my old Gibson's (I have dared to put a video playing it) or my PRS Bernie Marsden which LTD is strikingly similar to an LP of thousands of bucks. 

A cheap guitar, doing what I look for:
! No longer available
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Brak(E)man

Yes I'll help with defretting , it's fairly easy.
Can't see your pict though.
I have about 40 maybe more guitars , and
Banjo , Oud, Sitar, Dra-Nyehn , Pipa , electric mandolin etc

- Lydia Lunch

Autana

"Yes I'll help with defretting , it's fairly easy"
Thanks in advance :)

Can't see your pict though.
Curious, that is a YouTube video, which it is supposed to be easily accessible. Server issues on there?

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

Autana

Oh sorry, yes, I get that "no longer available" in near of every YT video posted here in VGF, but playability is still possible in my case.

EDIT: I figured out sometimes is a cache or ram browser issue here (Windows 7)

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Brak(E)man

I can see the pict now , it's an epiphone ?

I still have my Ibanez AS 100
Wouldn't sell that for the world
Bought it when they came out

- Lydia Lunch