The new iphone design confirmed

Started by Elantric, July 06, 2012, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

I'm going back to an iPhone ASAP as well.  My Windows Phone experience has been an absolute nightmare (thanks mainly to the terrible HTC hardware.)

I was an Apple hater for years, so I'm sympathetic to people looking for alternatives, but the iPhone is just so good at what it does.  Make fun of the kids in the cafes with their MacBook Airs, build a Linux workstation out of hemp, whatever it takes.  But for the love of your sanity, just buy an iPhone.

HAMERMAN409

Funny how that happens. I am not an apple fanboy by any stretch of the imagination and I am usually 1 to 4 years behind the gadget curve but I have still ended up with an iPhone 4S, an iPad Mini, a iPod Nano and an iPod Classic. I use the iPhone and  iPod classic pretty much every day and the others numerous times throughout the week. That's completely ignoring the fun uses the iPad has as a musical gadget.

DeRigueur

With an iPhone I can control my monitor mix on a Midas mixer.
That clinches it for me.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

mbenigni

Finally.  Dropped my Windows Phone into a bathtub a couple of weeks ago.  It was flaky enough before then, but now I am seriously limping along.  Can't wait to have a decent phone again.

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6/

arkieboy

That's the thing - I have quite a few friends with android phones and they all seem to experience more practical difficulties - software difficult to use, confusing options for the same task, poor battery life, few updates - than any of my friends who use iPhones.  A few of them choose an Android phone because they are anti-Apple, but most were sold on the bigger screen in the shop ... until they tried to operate their phone one-handed and realise why the current iPhones are exactly the size they are.  Of course you sacrifice 'choice' and 'freedom' - whatever they are and what ever they mean because each freedom (e.g. install what you like) comes with a responsibility (keep your phone free of malware). 

I insisted that my wife uses an iPhone and an iPad and I have an almost non-existent support commitment.  Apple software doesn't always 'just work' but in many cases it is as near to that as to make no odds.  If you want a smooth smartphone experience nothing comes close to Apple because no-one manages the walled garden as well - and if you can live with that and afford one, then you should.

I don't buy the processor performance stats though - they would only matter if you could install iOS on a Samsung phone or visa versa.  You have to compare the latest iPhone with the latest Android on their real world performance and utility

You pays your money and you takes your choice ... as true now as its ever been
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

If this is fake, it's the best fake I've ever seen - see the action at 0:40.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jassy

Quote from: arkieboy on September 05, 2014, 03:06:19 PM
That's the thing - I have quite a few friends with android phones and they all seem to experience more practical difficulties - software difficult to use, confusing options for the same task, poor battery life, few updates - than any of my friends who use iPhones.  A few of them choose an Android phone because they are anti-Apple, but most were sold on the bigger screen in the shop ... until they tried to operate their phone one-handed and realise why the current iPhones are exactly the size they are.  Of course you sacrifice 'choice' and 'freedom' - whatever they are and what ever they mean because each freedom (e.g. install what you like) comes with a responsibility (keep your phone free of malware). 

Curious but I experience everyday the opposite, I have a lot of friends and people around who use android phones and are perfectly happy with it, even some previously have had iphone, Im one of them. And yes of course the size is a reason, and a "big" one, even Apple seems finally to have realized this, so now the new Iphone 6 is expected to be much larger than the former, so that old argument about the 3,5" size is now... well, past history.

Im not anti Apple at all, I have 2 ipad, because there are musical apps that I can really use, so there is a good reason to use it, but for the phone, and trust me I use it a lot in my work... I find the android ones better, bigger and very important cheaper.

The new Iphone 6 looks good, especially the large one, 5,5"  ::) just like my Note2, cool!.    ;D

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteThis is interesting:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/could-the-iphone-6-plus-replace-your-ipad-for-music-making-606928

Quote it should be remembered that the iPhone 6 Plus won't be able to run music-making apps that are exclusive to iPad (of which there are quite a few) - only those that are Universal or designed for iPhone will run on it.

The Iphone 6 Plus is the only iPhone version that supports a "Landscape" mode
I expect many developers of "iPad Only" music apps will open up and make them universal with the caveat that it can only run on the 1920 x 1080 iPhone 6 Plus display

I will be ordering a iPhone 6 Plus 128GB next week.

montyrivers

If they come out with an ipod touch version of the 6 I will probably have a "take my #%^$ing money!" moment.

Elantric

QuoteIf they come out with an ipod touch version of the 6

Rather confident that will occur in November 2014

mbenigni

I ordered an iPhone 6 at lunch today.  Getting rid of my HTC 8x Windows phone will be like the end of a (bad) era.  Hard to believe it's been almost two years with a phone that a) has no apps, b) randomly turns itself off, c) gets extremely hot for no reason, and d) takes terrible photos in almost any light.  (The camera issue is something I didn't give much thought when I picked the phone.  That turned out to be a big mistake since my daughter was a year old at the time.)

Salesman upsold me to the 128G but I was on the fence about the Plus and decided I'd probably be happier with the smaller phone.  I have issues with tendonitis (guitarist's worst nightmare) so ergonomics are pretty important to me.  My only reservation is I'd really like the Plus' image stabilization (per the aforementioned daughter.  :)

Salesman also led me to believe I'd have the thing in hand within a week after the 9/19 ship date, but I already got an email from AT&T saying they'd deliver between 10/13 and 10/31.  Big difference.  Ah well, first world problems.

Elantric

congratulations - I have to wait another week to place my order for Iphone 6 Plus 128GB - I need Landscape mode and biggest screen and longest battery life  - all exclusive to the Plus version only., as Its more important for me to read the phone without glasses - I'm sticking with AT&T as I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data plan. But I have an old iphone 4 i might use for the $200 off tradein AT&T discount

Brent Flash

I have the 6+ coming, Apple said 3 weeks.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on September 12, 2014, 12:56:26 PM
congratulations - I have to wait another week to place my order for Iphone 6 Plus 128GB - I need Landscape mode and biggest screen and longest battery life  - all exclusive to the Plus version only., as Its more important for me to read the phone without glasses - I'm sticking with AT&T as I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data plan. But I have an old iphone 4 i might use for the $200 off tradein AT&T discount
I went on ATT and unfortunatly my old Iphone was worth $5 trade in. OH WELL

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on September 12, 2014, 12:56:26 PM

Thanks.  I'm sticking with AT&T as well - the devil I know, and it's a package deal with my wife.  $200 is a good deal for that trade in - I think Gazelle, for instance, would give you something closer to $75 for it.  (I got $85 for mine two years ago.  In retrospect, at that price, I should have just kept it for offline utility applications, e.g. as a tone generator or whatever.)

Interestingly, AT&T did not try to put me on contract this time around - they basically just gave me a payment plan on the phone itself.  They waived my early termination fees on the WP8 fiasco, there was no activation fee... basically I paid taxes on the phone itself, and they lowered my monthly plan rate so that my phone bill actually went down, even after adding in the installments on the iPhone.  (And he bumped my data from 6G to 10G.)  It was weird - I went in prepared to spend as much as $400 ($200 for the phone, $200 to get out of my old contract), and instead I spent $50, lowered my phone bill, and got a nicer phone than I intended.  (Moral of the story: check in with your carrier every so often to see what their latest plans look like.  Every time I do I realize I've been spending too much money on my phone bill for many months.)

Too good to be true?  Possibly.  I'll believe it all when I have the new phone and have seen my first bill.

Elantric

AT&T reports iPhone Plus 128GB delivery date is November 9-November 27

mbenigni

Ah - November.  Somehow I confused Nov. and Sept. and was wondering why my 6 would be a month later than the 6 Plus.

I wouldn't mind the wait except that I'm leaving for a long (years) overdue vacation in a few weeks, was hoping to bring a workable camera, and now suspect it will arrive in my driveway while I'm away.

...and now that I'm seeing that -$450, I'm wondering why the salesman didn't present any options for me to renew my contract at a savings.  I might have to stop back in for a second opinion.  The paperwork is very vague as to what my bill will actually look like.  Too many angles...

Brent Flash

Get it through Apple and it will be quicker.

Elantric

The hurdle for me is if I dont navigate the correct purchase path for iPhone 6 Plus , its easy for  AT&T  to eliminate my unlimited data plan and force me into monthly caped data plan , so I have to tread carefully  !

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/iPhone-6-Subsidy-amp-Unlimited-Data/td-p/4066010

mbenigni

QuoteGet it through Apple and it will be quicker.

Probably true.  I decided to go to the AT&T store because I had that early termination thing to sort out.  Now I don't know whether that was even necessary - the salesman basically brushed it off.  I get confused trying to sort out the relationship between the Apple store and the service providers, and who can and can't do what.  Anyway, I might have to do some legwork next week and undo/redo some of this.  Although by then it might be too late and I might be relegated to a later shipment anyway.  Who knows? 

I should probably just stop thinking about this altogether LOL.  Why lose what's left of my hair to have a phone a week sooner and maybe save $10 a month?

Brent Flash

Quote from: Elantric on September 12, 2014, 02:00:51 PM
The hurdle for me is if I dont navigate the correct purchase path for iPhone 6 Plus , its easy for  AT&T  to eliminate my unlimited data plan and force me into monthly caped data plan , so I have to tread carefully  !
I have unlimited data plan and it just carried over just like it did last time a bought a new iPhone from Apple. When you buy through Apple they contact AT&T and check for upgrade status, etc. Very easy but I did notice when I checked the AT&T site for upgrade the delivery date was in November and through the Apple website the delivery date was 3-4 weeks so I went through Apple.

Elantric

QuoteAT&T reports iPhone Plus 128GB delivery date is November 9-November 27

Thinking this through - i bet history repeats itself and there will be a "Black Friday sale" at AT&T  with deep discount on new Iphones.

If it does not ship till end of November 2014 anyway - why not wait for a sale.