Combining XLR and 1/4" to one output?

Started by IanEric.com, June 09, 2014, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanEric.com

I am an acoustic performer, and I'm on a never ending quest to simply my rig and setup while still increasing functionality.

I want to know if I can do this safely:  I want to combine an XLR mic output and a 1/4" guitar output (using adapters and Y-cable) into a single XLR for connection to my Bose PA.

More details if necessary:  My pedalboard consists of a Boss RC300 loop station.  I also have a ProCo Panic Button which allows me to switch my mic into the looper when I want to, or direct to my mixer if not.  The only real purpose for my mixer at this time is for adding reverb to the vocals. I could easily run my cables (XLR from the mic, 1/4" from the Boss) direct to the Bose PA. But the L1 Compact I use has no on board effects, and I like a little verb on my vocals.

I plan on purchasing a TC Electronics pedal for vocal reverb instead. Now, the TCE unit and the Boss RC300 have gain/level controls. This will allow me to mix at the pedalboard, making my other mixer unnecessary.

But I would LIKE to combine the outputs from the pedalboard into a single cable to run to my PA.  If nothing else, it's a simpler setup, faster to connect, less cabling, and less that can go wrong. So basically I want to convert the output from the Boss unit to XLR, then combine it with the mic cable using a Y, and connect one cable to my PA.

Any issues with this?

I figured the DIY section would have the best knowledge base if I am creating a sonic bomb...lol

Thanks!

Elantric

Quotewant to combine an XLR mic output and a 1/4" guitar output (using adapters and Y-cable) into a single XLR for connection to my Bose PA.

Thats a very bad idea  and will result and poor performance and distortion - they invented Mixers for this purpose.
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html
A small mixer will provide what you need. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Mixers-Accessories/Ns/p_PRICE_2%7c0/ci/11415/pn/2/N/4291086257/