Positive Grid JamUp Pro XT (IOS)

Started by Elantric, April 19, 2013, 01:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

JamUp and BIAS both have iOS 8 compatible updates out now.  I have not tried them yet.  A whole bunch of other music apps I own have also pushed updates for 8.  I have not compared every app I have to what's been updated but seems to me like time to push the upgrade button may be drawing near.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mbenigni

As of last night AudioBus was still broken.  (In fact, their app pops up a message prompting you to downgrade to iOS 7, so I have to wonder if they're in any hurry to correct.)  This may impact your other apps (depending on configuration) even though they are compatible with iOS 8 in their own right.

Personally, I won't go back.  Most vendors seem to be pushing forward on a reasonable timeline, and AudioBus would be wise to do the same given that Inter-App Audio is now a viable alternative.

supernicd

Interesting.  I had not received that pop up before, but I see it there today.  I have only upgraded my iphone, which, when used for music at all, is only used during moments of bordem while waiting around somewhere.  I will probably hold off on upgrading the iPad until Audiobus gets updated. IAA continues to see improvement and more supported apps, but not all apps that I use support it, and Audiobus is more stable in some cases.  IAA still has it's quirks and misfires.  Audiobus is pretty much rock solid.

On the other hand, in favor of pushing forward to 8 is that I'm already seeing the first apps that don't support anything less than iOS 8.  For example, DM1 drum machine released an update that requires iOS 8, and you get some new features with it.  Of course you can still keep the older version on your iOS 7 device but you can't have the new features or download the latest version without an iOS upgrade.  It's only a matter of time before someone releases some really cool new app that is iOS 8 only.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Toby Krebs

Just an update.I had 5 shows this week so for yesterdays 5-8pm R and B Soul music band gig in a mid size club I threw caution to the wind and played the gig with my ipad/ irig interface/Blueboard and GR55 for synth tones only.This was the first time I had played the ipad/ jamup pro live at volume. In short not only was it good enough the cab sims in my patches killed all my other hardware as I used one Alto 10 in powered speaker for both synth and guitar tones.I worked with an excellent sax player and we traded long solos for the entire gig.The ipad amp not only held its own it excelled in all areas and being able to put that little wireless foot controller anywhere I wanted it was very cool too.The bottom line for me is very often I come home from a gig wishing I had used a different floor multi effect or a different amp etc...not this time.The only thing I put in front of the input to the ipad was a Dunlop wah pedal which by the way works perfect in that spot.

Elantric

Since you are using an iRig HD - are you using a small mixer to combine iPad Audio out with GR-55 to feed the Alto TS110A ? Details?

Toby Krebs

No just using both inputs of the Alto then taking its xlr out to a direct box.My patches are eq.d properly so I dont use any of my small mixers although I may as time goes on. I do this often with my hardware guitar processors and GR55 setups not using a mixer that is. I used one for a while but just decided to get the eqs right per patch in the GR55/GT10/HD500 etc...and save setting up a mixer.

Toby Krebs

I have begun gigging and digging jamup pro this week with blueboard and GR55 only performing keys/synth duties all amp effects for guitar coming from jamup pro.  I am using a 4th generation refurbed from Apple Ipad and dont notice any latency. As far as that goes I notice some latency playing electric through a tube amp but none at all playing my Breedlove cedar top acoustic. Of course I get teased about playing occasional 32nd and 64th note phrases so I am still pretty quick and play a lot of fast Steve Morse type muted high gain runs and I have not had any problems with jamup.It works great live with my blueboard runs perfectly on my Ipad and sounds great through powered FRFR speakers at high volume.I am sticking with it while I fiddle around with Flying Haggis for fun. Jamup is also great as a an acoustic electric guitar preamp.

Thanks to all for all the opinions and info on these ios threads they have been very helpful to me.
I use my music gear to pay my mortgage it has to be good and all of these things are more than good and one other thing I have noticed I havent seen anyone comment about regarding rhe cab modelling in Jamup/Amplitube etc...NO FIZZ NONE NADA!!!

Elantric

QuoteNO FIZZ NONE NADA!!!

That used to be a battle,
Luckily with the gear choices available today - I have not had to deal with "Amp ModelingCab Sim Fizz" for quite a while.

Toby Krebs

My HD500 is fizzy so I only play it cab sims off into tube amps.It kills used that way. But if I can get better non fizzy live tones using my ios rig I will. I realize many of us here are looking at this stuff to record with and I understand that set of ears very well but I am not planning to record with ios software unless its for demos etc... I am looking at it for playing covers everything from What A Wonderful World a la Louis Armstrong to Santana to Enter Sandman and so far it is working very well. The only other thing I have to report is Flying Haggis wins the preset dropout war almost no gaps just a little pop lol!I may use it live as well still finding my way around on that one but liking it a lot.This time of year I start playing a lot of high paying casuals and look forward to using my ios rig for theses gigs.

Elantric

QuoteMy HD500 is fizzy

true -  - The Line6 HD500X suffers same issue.

I hardly play my Line 6 amp Modellers, as I really have not "bonded" with them

IMHO - the GP-10 Amp sims sound much better than my HD500, yet its only  my Kemper that I take to the Studio when I'm the hired gun !

Toby Krebs

My Egnater Tweaker and a bunch of different tubes go with me to the studio when I am in the sudio hot seat.A Kemper would be great but I have too much money tied up in a bunch of other stuff right now. You notice I said right now lol!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Toby Krebs on October 13, 2014, 09:03:45 PM
My Egnater Tweaker and a bunch of different tubes go with me to the studio when I am in the sudio hot seat.A Kemper would be great but I have too much money tied up in a bunch of other stuff right now. You notice I said right now lol!
I don't do studio, but regularly play live. And yes the Kemper is outstanding. I was using Jamup live on some quick lastminute and sitin gigs, until last IOS update. It bricked Jamup, Bias, Ampkit, and Tonestack on my Ipad 2. Gonna wait to buy a new one until I checkout the larger version when it comes out. But miss using Jamup and the Ipad as a quick and light rig

Toby Krebs

I dont update anything on anything that is made by Apple unless I am forced to.My 17 year old son told me that so I just ignore all their update bs( and for the most part it is memory consuming bs) and do what I need to do until whatever device I am using wont function then I update it. I am digging deeper into Jamup and loving the cab modelling better than anything else I have heard and more than good enough for most of my live gigs.I have a bunch of out of town casuals coming up where I will need to be small as my gear fitting in the band trailer.I am going to try using my iphone for Jamup and have my ipad running Onsong or Setlist maker/GR55 and one powered speaker. Considering setting up Flying Haggis as a jazz/blues / funky dunky jazz rig as it is perfect for those type of gigs. Jamup will cover my variety band gigging because we do an occasional Metallica/Ozzy/Nirvana etc...tune and it has some metal tones in it.I havent even dug into Amplitube yet lol, but I am sure it is usable s well.The thing is these software modelling programs are all easy and fast to setup and make patches/banks.I do not miss spending a month interfacing a bulky hardware processor with my laptop and then after a gig thinking the cab models sounded crappy through the PA. These software amps/ effects kill through a nice big powerful PA.I know as I have used it that way 3 times now.The more I turn it up the better it gets!

Elantric

Are also using BIAS  with Jamup Pro?

Toby Krebs

I have built some crazy variations of the Dumble models with BIAS and they sound great in Jamup. Hoping to get more in depth with BIAS over the next two weeks as I have some time off before the Holiday gigs really get going.

Toby Krebs

Anyone around these here parts know if my new Line 6 expression pedal will work with Jamup Pro? My initial tests have not been good as the Line 6 pedal changes volume and patches at the same time lol!

Toby Krebs

Damn it now I am searching for a second ipad...

and the beat goes on...

Elantric

QuoteAnyone around these here parts know if my new Line 6 expression pedal will work with Jamup Pro?

I assume you are connecting the Line-6 EX-1 Expression pedal to one of the Expression Pedal inputs on BlueBoard?

http://line6.com/stompboxmodelers/ex1.html

Toby Krebs

Yes it is for my Line 6M13 that is gathering dust with my tube amps.I got it going last night during the World Series game. It works more like an on off switch and sometimes sweeps to full volume and sometimes not with jamup. Not smooth and not too musical but a kill switch on the floor is sometimes useful. I yanked it after about 20 min and then practiced for almost an hour and a half with Jamup and my Blueboard and the backing track playback feature.Sounds/feels good and is a lot of fun to play

The Orange amp is great with a Fuzz Face in front of it and an Echoplex after it.

Eric Johnsons version of Western Flyer type tones which I love.

Still digging this app and making plans to use it live at my next 5 out of town gigs in Yosemite

Toby Krebs

Played an outdoor block party Harvest Festival type gig with a band I used to be in.
They are all tube amp purists and even decide what guitars look vintage enough before they will play them live lol! They needed a sub so I showed up with my imported PRS guitar/Ipad and Alto powered speakers.I used Jamup Pros Orange amp and Dumble models and BLEW THE FRICKEN DOORS OFF OF THOSE TUBE PURISTS!!!

Tone Tone Tone!!!

These guys asked me to sub in their Beatle tribute band Beatleville after the gig.

'Nuff Said!

Toby Krebs

Played a sub gig with a bunch of tube puristas' Saturday night.

Jamup Pro destroyed the other players Vox AC fizzy EL84 p.o.s. amp

Played Orange and Dumble tones

After the gig they asked me to play in their Beatle tribute band !

LMAO!

myksara

Wow!..this is using your iphone 5c right? If it's using an ipad,do you notice any difference in lag,tone,latency compared to the iphone 5c?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Toby Krebs

I have used both my iphone5c and my 4th generation with Jamup live with no latency issues.Its probably there but not enough to bother me and surely not enough to get me to bring a tube amp/ pedals to one of these sub gigs I do.Those kind of gigs have to be easy or I cant do them.

Tonite for our yearly Halloween show in Yosemite for the employees of the park with my regular band I will use a tube amp/HD500 and a GR55.

If it is not my regular group I look for good easy to setup/use alternatives and the Ipad Jamup rig is doing it for me.

At this evenings gig the ipad will run SLM and change GR55 patches and also show me any lyrics charts I may need.

Trying to remember how to play "Lets Do The Time Warp Again" lol!

Toby Krebs

I remembered the Time Warp
The bass player did not lol!

Last night my 20 year old son bass player/ guitar player/ songwriter who uses a Line 6 Pod to record on his Mac Propellerhead setup plugged my 1955 Gretsch Duo Jet into my Ipad running Jamup Pro and played so long with the Orange amp models he began to yawn and fall asleep.
He was amazed at the tones of the Orange amp/ Gretsch combination.
I think the old Pod may finally be retired.

mbenigni

I love the sound of JamUp/Bias - some of the models sound every bit as good to me as the best KPA profiles.  And I much prefer JamUp's GUI over the Kemper's buttons/menus when I'm putting a sound together.  But JamUp can be a little unstable (basically unusable with Audiobus or IAA.)  And there is just enough latency (iPad Air and iRig Pro) to distract me at times.  It seems to have good nights and bad nights... or more likely I do LOL.  Turning on the Kemper is refreshing in terms of getting that immediate, physical feel back.  Always tradeoffs...