FTP- how to make sound libraries midi guitar friendly- calling Andras S

Started by pje, November 05, 2015, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pje

Because most good libraries use note overlap to trigger legato samples, guitar players are left out. 
I know of 2 ways to fix this.
1. extend the note off beyond when the note is actually released [ about 2 ms will do I think, to trigger the legato sample, but i should be adjustable]
2. modify libraries to measure the time after a note off to the note on and have a legato sample trigger when below a given threshold.

Thats all I know and I dont know how to program. But it would be a big imrovement because legato samples make better legato than PB.

Input anyone?

Is Andras here??
Thanks all-Peter

jassy

Thats actually a very good question for us midi guitar players, because we cant trigger legato mode in synths/samplers because we cant overlap midi on/off messages to trigger this. And it's particularly frustrating because the legato technique is quite common and very of the guitar.
Im trying to overcome this limitation from some years with little luck.
As you say there is only two ways: or the guitar to midi engine implements it (in a controllable way) or the synth/sampler allow it.
I tried to ask to some soft synth and Kontakt library makers to implement it, but nothing has happened really.
The best solution would be to have it in the guitar to midi engine, of course so its not dependant of an specific synth or sampler, but to ask to Roland, Yamaha, Axon, Terratec or even Fishman doesnt seem to be a workable way. I own a FTP so I hope your request is heard and  answered.
But there is a hope, Jam Origin has been receptive and interested in this functionality and has said it would  implement it in Midi Guitar 2 (maybe the next beta). Who knows maybe MG2 would be the first midi to guitar system to have it.

shawnb

Hmmm...  Might be fun to prototype.   Find any tool that would allow you to filter by midi message type (note off) and add a delay to it.

Piece of cake in Hollyhock.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

pje

a script  for Kontakt would be a start. I am not a programmer, but i understand that using method #1 is the easiest.
Simple boolean statement;'

In Kontakt parlance, a  callback, It might look like this:

IF the interval between this [note on]
AND the last [note on =0] message
IS LESS THAN 2 ms
THEN legato note trigger will occur

I am assuming that legato note trigger in Kontakt IS a script.
Which may not be true.
If not, how can a script be applied..etc
Is there someone knowledgeable about this ?
Thanks,
Peter