FTP - Installation on Hohner/Steinberger and problem with Controller volume control

Started by frummox, September 19, 2015, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frummox

Just installed the TriplePlay on my Hohner/Steinberger (Not easy. Removed bridge pickup ring and pushed pickup toward the neck, filled the old screw holes and drilled new ones). There is almost no space on a Hohner/Steinberger to mount the Controller. With a direct mount only two of the three magnet buttons would be on the instrument unless I jammed the unit right against the tremolo mechanism. I used one of the mounting assemblies to mount it on the top most strap button (the Hohner/Steinberger has two).Even though I used the 90 degree mount the unit still angles up a bit (just the way the instrument is made). I managed to bend the mount down a bit to get it a little closer to the instrument. It does require me to change my right hand playing position a little but I don't see a way around it. However it does introduce another problem---my right hand wrist rotates the volume control! At the moment I have a small piece of masking tape on the volume control to keep it on 10. Does anyone know a way to temporarily disable the Controller volume control (via a setting not taking it apart) so it stays at full volume?

Elantric

Gently lift and remove the FTP Volume knob

Makes the resulting pot shaft a harder target to accidentally move.

frummox

Thanks, I'll try it only as a last resort. if I remove the wheel and there is a spindle sticking out I might accidentally bend or break it with my picking hand. That would be real trouble. Incidentally, I rotated the the mount to try every possible position for the controller. The edge of the Hohner/Steinberger is actually flat and 1 1/2" deep. Mounting the controller that way clears the bridge for my picking hand but if I put the guitar down on a flat surface it rests on the buttons which is a bad idea. I also rotated the mount so the controller was on the back of the instrument but you can't get at the controls that way. Also tried reversing the mount so the controller was completely off the instrument but that was asking for trouble, bound to knock it against something. Wish the Controller was a lot smaller and more sturdy.