FTP - Sonar & Reaper crashes w/VSTi

Started by BobF, June 18, 2015, 09:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

As noted above, I would try the prior version of the driver next.   If issues continue, I'd even consider asio4all.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

BobF

There is no prior driver version.

I've not had much luck with ASIO4ALL in teh past.  As I understand it, ASIO4ALL mimics ASIO via WDM.  WDM is horrid with the Tascam.

The problems persist with the Tascam uninstalled from the system anyway, at which point I wonder why I would concentrate on the audio interface for plugin problems?

I get the same symptoms whether I use the Tascam in USB2/3 or the R24 in USB2.  The problems persists with the FTP hardware removed as well.

I'm sure in the end this will be resolved by something that doesn't make sense until the light of understanding is lit, but at the moment this looks/feels exactly like a buggy VST/i.  The problem with that is that I'm the only one that sees it.

The only thing more frustrating is trying to get my AT200 to communicate via any MIDI interface other than the MIDISport 2x2.  Yes, that has also been completely uninstalled during this FTP shakedown.

Vade

If it were me, I'd create a partition on my hard drive and do a basic install of Windows and the bare minimum of software needed to test FTP with Sonar. If it works, then you probably have a software problem on your primary partition and if it still crashes then you have to suspect some sort of hardware failure/incompatibility.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

BobF

Obviously a great way to troubleshoot this.  I'm trying to decide how far I want to go.  If I'm going to start rebuilding, I'm thinking new MB from somebody else.  Giga or Intel.  Would be nice to be able to move the CPU, mem, drives, etc.  Wipe it all and start fresh.

Vade

Tis a bit of a hassle but if you've decent download speeds for updates etc. then you could do this in an afternoon with little more than the occasional mouse click to ok installs. Figuring out whether it's a software or hardware issue really strikes me as the next step since you've already done the easy fixes without success. Best of luck!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

BobF

Thanks.  Yes, screamin 4M internet connection out here in the boonies - LOL

Vade

Oh you are so hosed then;) Still probably best to re-download everything to eliminate potential errors. Talk to you in the fall...

BobF

hehe ... The Fishman folks have a dump they're examining for me.  It's in the queue.  I'm hoping they can spot the colliding driver/plugin/whatever and point to me to something specific. 

In the mean time I'm plugging away.  I can actually get stuff done.  I just have to clean up the dump files periodically.  Nice workflow, huh?

Vade

Well here's hoping the folks at Fishman can save you. Cheers!

BobF

More clues ...

In Sonar, if I reopen a project that contains the TP VSTi, I can use the project fine with no dumps on project close as long as I do NOT open the TriplePlay GUI any time during the session.  As long as the TP GUI has NOT been opened, everything is normal.

BTW, unless you are watching Task Manager and monitoring the CrashDump
directory ((C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\CrashDumps)), there is nothing to let you know there was a problem - it is completely silent.  So if you're using the TriplePlay VSTs with Sonar in a Windows environment, please check your CrashDump directory.

There are no dialogues that pop up and the application does not actually crash.

shawnb

No crashdumps here, & I use both all the time.

I really think it's the Tascam driver; crash on exit issues almost always are caused by the driver not releasing resources (search the SONAR forums...).  It simply was not apparent before other software entered the picture.

As such, I'd try different variants of the driver, WDM, WASAPI, ASIO4ALL, etc.   ASIO4ALL does, in fact, address driver issues for many folks when they're dealing with crappy drivers. 

So, first I'd contact Tascam support & file a ticket.

Second, if there is no visible indication of an issue, I'd just keep working away - after filing the Tascam support ticket.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

BobF

Thanks ... I here ya on the Tascam driver.  I hate when stuff doesn't make sense and having this still dump when the Tascam has been removed and drivers deleted doesn't help my understanding.

I guess this could be deeper into USB land causing it to behave this with when the Zoom as well.

shawnb

I'm confused...    Your Tascam audio interface works even after you've deinstalled the driver?

BobF

No.  I completely uninstall and remove the Tascam.  I replace it with a Zoom R24, freshly installed latest drivers.

Same results.  It matters not whether I'm using the Tascam or the Zoom as my audio interface, or whether or not the Tascam is connected to a USB2 or USB3 port.  The Zoom has only been connected via USB2.

Reaper only dumps if the TP VSTi GUI has been opened during the session.  The dump doesn't happen during save or close, but when Reaper is exited.

Sonar is slightly different in that it dumps core as soon as the project is closed, but like Reaper, it will only dump if the TP VSTi GUI is opened during the session.

During all of this, the TriplePlay interface and software are functioning beautifully.

szilard

I don't use FTP much, but I did try it with Platinum on my DAW - no dumps (Echo AudioFire 4). I also checked my laptop and no dumps there either (Roland Quad Capture).

BobF

Thanks for checking.

I put up a Reaper core dump and have asked at the Reaper forum to see if anybody knows how to read/decypher.  Maybe I'll get a pointer (pun intended) to the problem area.

BobF

New info.  I tested on a different x64 Win8.1 machine today with Reaper.  I had the same results, but the files are going to a different place.  I don't know why.  The errors show up in "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue" on this other machine.

It's probably best if you get a chance to do a search of your PC for "*.dmp" instead of looking in specific folders as the destination for .dmp files is apparently a varying configuration item.

shawnb

I'm curious - did you ever hear back from anyone?

BobF

BobF

Still no word from Fishman support.  At this point I'm guessing there is no intent on their part to examine the dumps I provided.

BobF

Quote from: shawnb on July 01, 2015, 09:17:17 PM
I'm curious - did you ever hear back from anyone?

Problems persist ... still no word back from Fishman.  I've been thru updates/reinstalls for just about everything.

Same problem on two separate machines.

shawnb

Bummer.   

A bit disappointed with Fishman support - that's pretty unusal.  I've always seen great support from them, for me personally & to others on this forum. 

I looked all around & couldn't find .dmp files.   I have older gear than you, less memory, & Win7.   Not sure that helps you.   I never took the Win8/8.1 plunge. 

You note that it seems to function perfectly - so I'd simply keep using it and ignore the dumps.  Play first, tweak later... 

BobF

It's usable without loading the VST or VST/i into a project, so you don't really have to worry about dmp files.  Just not as convenient.

Yeah, support is a bit disappointing.  I realize mine is a corner/edge case, but that's true for any contact I make with any support dept.  I'll probably be looking somewhere other than Fishman for future goodies.