GR-55 - New song - demo from gr-55

Started by zaknbou, January 22, 2015, 09:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaknbou

Hey check my video !

All done from the gr-55

gumtown

Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind my critique of your work..
The track seemed a bit busy with each part fighting one another, maybe 'less is more'.
I didn't like the guitar tone, it seemed to lack some 'body' to it.

Hope my comments don't offend you, I tend to 'say it the way it hear it'.

I showed one of my band members an experiment while mixing our support band last weekend,
had the mix dialled in OK, asked a random public member how that sounded, then I deliberately made the mix bad and asked that same person if that was better.
They said 'yeah it's all right', which goes to show that most people can't tell the difference, or those that do are too polite to say anything.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

dimarzio

I agree with gum ---- even tho I understand the feeling, I don't 'get it'.  Im not a pro like some ppl in here but I do applaud what you did.  I trying to get up the courage to post my video on here with my newly acquired GR 55.  Its kinda like the Rob Marcello slow soft piano/keyboard melodic with 90000 bpm distorted guitar.  Soon you can see/hear my song (I called it 2015) and you can critique me but anywho ---- good job and add some body to your guitar ---- to me it sounded 'thin'
Schecter Damien w/ GK 3 and DiMarzio
Custom made guitar w/ DiMarzio
Paul Reed Smith w/ GK 3 and  Seymour Duncan
Rocktron Prophesy
Digitech 2101 Artist
Roland GR55
Boss GP10
Roland US20
GK 400 RG amp
Midi Buddy 128
Korg DTR 2000 tuner

Fusion

Nice playing and accolades for getting something out there. It is not easy to do that, not at all. I thought the sound was pretty good and some skills, very nice for the GR-55. Round of applause for offering us a nice clip of work.
The problem I have with just about all modeler type units (except maybe for the Kemper or Fractal) is next to a nice tube amp they do sound rather thin and more like a guitar pedal to me than a real amp. That being said I do have some analog amp-in-box pedals that sound better than modelers(Wampler baby!). Even Tech21s all analog circuits sound better than models to me. They are after all just a digital block of filters, EQ and whatnot trying to mimic an amp sound.

I sort of love my tube amp rig and when I hear that puppy, even the cleans, which I love, are just so rich and full. It is very true about untrained ears. Non-musicians do not hear things like we do.
Reminds me of a movie I went to recently, the XDigital was just soooooo loud it physically made me ill, and I have been playing rather not mild or quiet guitar for a lifetime. Made me wonder if everyone is not deaf. I was actually sick by the time I got out of there. Why does anything need to be that loud? Never again.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Jim Wintringham

I enjoyed your video work! I have tried building loops...and know it is lots harder than working with a live group (for me). I tend to play off of the other players....being a rhythm player. I like your experimenting with tone....i can hear you put a lot of work into your piece :)
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

DreamTheory

I think that the way MIDI and models sit in a mix can be challenging. To me it is not just that the guitar sound is thin, but that the horns and so on are so rich. It may sound wrong to say this, but possibly EQ-ing the backing tracks to take away some of the fullness would knit the whole piece together better.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

ratbastid

All the above critique aside (about production, mostly, which I mostly agree with), your playing is REAL solid here. I like where you work outside the scale and then resolve back. Great tension/resolution storytelling.