VG99 - different mixes to different outs...

Started by arkieboy, April 04, 2012, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

Was reading the VG99 manual and https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2317.0 and it seems to me that the mixer is flexible enough so you can separate guitar and full range (acoustic/synth) sounds by sending the guitar like sounds to the main outs and the full range sounds to the XLR outputs.  Is this possible?

If you only take a mono feed from the main outs, I assume this you still get stereo from the XLRs?

You may see where I'm coming from - you could route the main out - without amp modelling - into a normal guitar amp to get the normal pickups and COSM guitars through the stomp boxes and still send you full range sounds to a full range rig.  Once hidden in a rack this would make my stage setup much simpler...

How does the wah feel?  Does it feel soggy and disconnected in comparison with an analog wah?

Thanks

Steve

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

QuoteWas reading the VG99 manual and https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2317.0 and it seems to me that the mixer is flexible enough so you can separate guitar and full range (acoustic/synth) sounds by sending the guitar like sounds to the main outs and the full range sounds to the XLR outputs.  Is this possible?

Sure

Use  "CHAIN A" routed to Main Out

Use  "CHAIN B" routed to Sub Out

Brent Flash

Quote from: arkieboy on April 04, 2012, 11:32:40 AM
Was reading the VG99 manual and https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2317.0 and it seems to me that the mixer is flexible enough so you can separate guitar and full range (acoustic/synth) sounds by sending the guitar like sounds to the main outs and the full range sounds to the XLR outputs.  Is this possible?
If "guitar like sounds" means the COSM guitars the answer is yes, BUT, they are also full range sounds. You need to look at the SYSTEM/OUTPUT area of the VG to see all the patch options available. You can have the DIGITAL OUT BE all kinds of things like, COSM GTR A, B, NORMAL PICKUP, MIXER (DRY), MIXER, etc. the MAIN OUTPUT can be CHANNEL A, CHANNEL B, MIXER (DRY), and MIXER. The sub out can be the same choices. There is a GUITAR OUT that passes your normal pickups on to a guitar rig if you want that too.
If you only take a mono feed from the main outs, I assume this you still get stereo from the XLRs?
Yes, if that is what you want.
How does the wah feel?  Does it feel soggy and disconnected in comparison with an analog wah?
It feels just like a CRY BABY to me. Hope this helps!

arkieboy

Thanks...

Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more specific - I meant guitar sounds from an electric guitar's pickups or COSM modelled electric guitars to the main output and acoustic guitar and synth sounds to the sub outs.

It seemed really clear from the manual, but you know what Roland manuals can be like... ;)  Thanks for confirming from reality

At the moment I have a TBone with a crybaby, a TC polytune and a couple of momentary pedals and the associated loom together with a VG88 in front of me onstage when with a 99 I could just have my trusty UNO FCB100...

Better soften up my wife...  :-*

;D

Steve

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Just to bump this up with one more question

The 'output select' parameter selects the type of amplifier you have connected to the main outs.  Does this have any effect on the sub outs?

Steve

rolandvg99

Quote from: arkieboy on June 20, 2012, 02:22:30 PM
Just to bump this up with one more question

The 'output select' parameter selects the type of amplifier you have connected to the main outs.  Does this have any effect on the sub outs.

Steve

It affects the main outs and oddly enough: The headphones. Sub, SPDIF and USB are unaltered by the "output select". You'll find it in the picture posted by Elantric in this threads first answer.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

arkieboy

Quote from: rolandvg99 on June 20, 2012, 09:48:58 PM
You'll find it in the picture posted by Elantric in this threads first answer.

:)  RTFM.  You don't have to say that to me too often.  I see it now

Thanks!