VG-99 and Axe Fx

Started by dayn, March 18, 2010, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

VG-99 COSM guitars->Axe-Fx fx/amps->VG-99 1/4"input

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have both a VG-99 and an Axe-fx...

Is it possible to plug your 13-pin cable into the VG-99 for COSM guitars. Then use one of the VG-99 outs into the Axe-fx input for fx/amps. Then go out of the Axe-fx BACK into the VG-99 1/4 input to hear it all with headphones plugged into the VG-99?

Elantric

Yes - but not in stereo

GK Guitar 13pin IN>VG-99 COSM guitars (no amps Hard panned to the  > VG-99 Left Output> ->Axe-Fx fx/amps->VG-99 1/4"input.

Capuccino

Does someone connect the VG-99 with the Axe Fx?

onemoreguitar

That's how I use it.  I connect the L/R of the VG into input 2 of the AFX.  I mainly just use the COSM guitars as the effects and amps in the AFX are in a whole other league compared to the VG.  I actually just sold my Ultra a little while back in anticipation of the II which hasn't made it to Australia yet.  I'll more than likely be using it the same way with the II. 

Capuccino

This is my dream. VG-99 with Axe Fx II. Do you have any recordings with thes set-up?

steadystate

I use the VG-99 L/R outs into the Axe-FX Ultra's main inputs.  Like the previous poster, I only use the pickup modeling, acoustic sims, and altered tunings.  The amp models in the VG are garbage compared to the Fractal.

Edit: I wanted to add that the VG-99's USB audio functionality makes reamping with the Ultra almost as easy as reamping with the Axe-FX II's built in USB.

onemoreguitar

Sorry I don't have any recordings.  I'm sure there's some gigs that have been recorded floating around, but I don't have them. 

I use input 2 because I also have my regular pups going into the front input on the AFX with another cable.  I try to rely on the VG as little as possible in that setup because it doesn't react to midi very well.  I found I needed a delay on my LF Pro for the VG to register changes.  While I now have the delay worked out, I don't trust it completely when I'm using multiple units.  Also with the II, you would definitely want your normal pups plugged into the front input directly as the impedance switching on that input reacts with your pups the same way the front end of an amp or a stomp box would. 

I also sometimes layered complete VG sounds with my AFX normal guitar sounds. 

An idea I'm playing with now is having everything plugged in to a MOTU 828mkIII Hybrid so that I can freely switch routings and have my IEM mix all controlled from that unit.  I also have a Fantom XR with an EWI that I'm integrating into my rig and I'm also looking at adding a POD HD Pro.  It's probably overkill, but it'll be fun!!

While the AFX kills the amps and effects of the VG, don't count COSM out.  It can still produce some great sounds.  I've been gigging with pretty much just the VG for the past couple months and am still amazed at some of the sounds that come out of it.  It's very much like the AFX in that you get out of it what you put in to it.  Pure guitar tones are still best done on the AFX, but layering hex processed stuff is quite cool and can add a nice touch, especially if you use the reverbs in the AFX. They make a great pair. 

Piing

Hi Capuccino.

Here you can find some clips that I recorded with the almighty VG8 and the Axe-FX Standard long time ago:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=661197&content=music

Now I have the VG99 and the Axe FX II, but I still have not started to extract their juice.

skracus

Quote from:  steadystate on September 13, 2011, 10:36:08 AM
I use the VG-99 L/R outs into the Axe-FX Ultra's main inputs.  Like the previous poster, I only use the pickup modeling, acoustic sims, and altered tunings.  The amp models in the VG are garbage compared to the Fractal.

Edit: I wanted to add that the VG-99's USB audio functionality makes reamping with the Ultra almost as easy as reamping with the Axe-FX II's built in USB.

Just getting started but that is exactly why I purchased the VG-99. I don't plan on using the amp modeling in the VG-99 but may down the road. Guitar modeling and alternate tunings are going to be so effective and efficient playing in a cover band.

Piing

A Litle recording VG99 + Axe FX II on a BOSS Micro BR-80

https://soundcloud.com/manuel_g/sketch-a002

aliensporebomb

So what parts were the VG-99 and what parts were the AxeFX?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Piing

There are 3 tracks:

1 - Bass and layer: VG99 user patch "Albatroz" (from vguitarforums)

2 - Three Notes Clean Arpegios: VG99 factory patch 151 "Space Sitar" + Axe-FX II  factory patch 363 "Prometheus WV"

3 - Lead: Axe-FX II Marshall Silver Jubilee with factory cabinet 46 (Soldano 412B with Eminence S12X speakers)

moebiux

On the VG-99 COSM instrument output can be routed to digital output without changing the patch configuration.
The problem is AXE and VG-99 work at diferente sample rates (48 vs 44).

Has anyone tried a sample rate converter for hooking up digitally VG and Axe.

I´ll looking for a BEHRINGER ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC 2496.

steadystate ¿Can you please explain a bit more the usb-reamping configuration?  ???

GtrGeorge

Me, too.....
  what is this USB Re-amping???????

GtrGeorge

Elantric

Quotewhat is this USB Re-amping?

Observe the audio re-routing options of the VG-99's USB Audio I/O path. (see red block area below)

This allows you to do many things.

One example is record a dry guitar track to your DAW app with low latency ASIO driver, and then upon playback of this track, route the Dry Guitar track audio back to the VG-99 via USB for "re-amping" - lets you change your mind on your guitar tone - AFTER you record the guitars. 

The VG-99's "Digital (SPDIF) Output is also very flexible, Many assign the VG-99's "Digital (SPDIF) Output to use the COSM Guitar Output as the Audio signal, and send this to the Kemper KPA'a SPDIF Input. This allows you to use all the VG-99 COSM Guitar  modeling tones / Alt Tunings - but use the Kemper for Amp Modeling instead of the VG-99 - all in real time at the gig.
This works rather well.

Another option is  assign the VG-99's "Digital (SPDIF) Output to use the COSM Guitar Output as the Audio signal, - but feed a cheap DAC to feed other Analog FX.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PWPUW6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003N0XDT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15J15Y0KTPM3GDPDSBVZ

FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC

TheGuitarPlayer

I run a VG-99 into an Axe-FX II.  At the moment, I'm just running the VG-99 Sub-Out Left into L (Rear) input on the Axe-FX.

My grand master plan is to run the USB input (i.e. sound from a computer back to the VG-99) on the Master line and run that out to the right side of Axe-FX and process separately.  I'd like to do this to trigger MIDI instruments (via VG-99 GK-to-MIDI) and Samples (touch screen triggers).  If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd be keen to hear from them.

m0n0mania

What's the benefit there?
The usb connection is just a digital version of the stereo out so its not as if you can choose a different COSM guitar after recording.
The Axe-fx does all the other stuff better, so there's no use for the VG-99 when re amping in this case is there?

moebiux

USB OUT can be setup to track/record only the Guitar COSM signal.

Reamping can be done:

1) VG-99 COSM amps routing the signal via USB IN
2) Axe FX routing VG-99 digital output configured to suply only the Guitar COSM signal (Sample Rate Conversion solution required  :P)

I´m currently trying the second option.
Waiting to buy a BEHRINGER ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496 to overcome the SRC 44/48 Khz between Axe and VG-99.

Elantric Thanks for the explanation and the link to the cheap DAC.
Great low cost solution for the sample rate conversion problem.
I´ll order two of them ;)

Vaultnaemsae

Maybe a stupid question but if you get one of these SRC devices inline between the VG-99 and Axe-FX how do you connect to the single input on the Axe-FX? The SRC has two out plugs. Is there some kind of cable that takes the L/R into a single male plug? I can't find anything on ebay but maybe I'm not searching with the right cable name.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

aliensporebomb

Not just the AxeFX but any dual input preamp type device works.

I've sometimes ran the stereo outs from my VG-99 into the stereo effects return on my Mesa Studio preamp.  Very interesting.  And I own a GP-10 - the aux stereo in would be another way to further process the 99.   But of late I've found ways to process and handle the 99 by itself that are really interesting.  The amp models don't compare to an AxeFX III since it just came out and the VG is 10 years old now but you can do a lot.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Vaultnaemsae

I was referring the Axe-FX II specifically but I understand your point.

However, I still don't really understand how to connect VG-99 —> SRC —> AXE-FX

I tried to do it direct today — VG digital out to Axe digital in. It worked — but when I fed it into my DAW and then used the GUITAR TO MIDI on a seperate MIDI track the audio from the synth played back through the Axe-FX a tone lower than the actual notes played.

I like the idea of SPDIF simplicity. I just can't find any clear info on the hardware/cables needed to do the conversion.

Vaultnaemsae

So the Fractal Forum posts suggest that using the analog inputs is the way to go (and I don't disagree). Anybody who has connected the two devices already knows this so nothing new to learn on this topic there.

My question was to disambiguate how one might use a SRC like Elantric mentioned in an old post. I don't really wanna buy a SRC (up to $50 locally) just to find out it doesn't work as I expected and I that need more cables/adaptors.

Anyway, other members may already know this, but I've nver read about anybody else using this method. I discovered for myself today that it is indeed possible to route the VB-99's USB audio (and I would assume therefore also the VG-99 and GP-10 - not to mention any other audio source) to the Axe-FX II over USB via your DAW - if you can setup multiple I/O devices. I didn't get any weird sample rate clashes with anything I threw at it so yay!