Ideal GK-3 Sensitivity in VG-99

Started by chipstar, February 01, 2008, 12:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I start at around 40% and decrease the hotter strings and increase the ones that have a hard time ringing when you exit that page. You might have to go back and forth but your ear will be a better judge than the meter. as for string distance it is necessary for the correct tone of the modeled guitars. It won't help with guitar to midi stuff But I still recommend it for accurate tone.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Whip

Well, thought I'd share some goofy stuff I was doing that created a bunch of problems. I just started fiddling with pickup height and settings because I was getting a bunch of noise. I had been setting the values up as high as i could without clipping. Well the pick-up was picking up all kinds of noise. (Some 60 cycle and hiss). When I reduced the level way down, the noise went away and the sound was good, but it lost some 'drive/punch'. I noticed that the pickup levels in the unit for each guitar default to 25? I brought that up to 50 and the sound came alive. I had also been having a problem with a harshness in the sound and attack..... which was fixed with this minor fix as well.
I just thought I would point this out, because I have had VG units since the VG-8 and for some reason I remember setting the pickup this way, and obviously.... it was wrong. Maybe this will save someone else some grief.
Roland VG-99 + FC-300,
Roland GR-55, US-20
SG,BC Rich, Lado, Strat, Godin, GK-2a's & GK-3, RMC
Bose L1 M2 & Compact's & T1's
Have Fernandes Sustainers on most guitars. They are a must  ;)

TroyYoung

I adjusted my opinion on where to set the sensitivity.  I obtained a 1971' Strat and wanted to get a simular sound from my Roland Ready MIM strat. I found that although setting the sensitivity very low IE 25% the sound became less harsh, but in trying to mimic the 1971 Strat I had to up the senitivity to around 60-65%. The harshness is very close. There is a natural harshness to the Vintage strat with full volume on the guitar. Set at low levels (20%), now that I am using a descent Amp (JBL EONs) and can hear a better range, I realize that the sound was clean but stale.

If anyone is still playing around with this issue. It still comes down to the ears. I found that I was likely compensating for my poor amp system. I have had to adjust many of my patches now that I can hear a good clean amp at high volume (4x JBL EON 15").