VGuitar Forums moving to a dedicated hosting account

Started by Slackjaw, April 10, 2010, 06:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slackjaw

All -

As VGuitar Forums membership continues to grow, and along with it overall site activity, we've decided to move the forums to a dedicated hosting account.  Since its inception, the forum has been "hanging" off another account as a subdomain.  Most folks wouldn't care to know the difference.  But from a maintenance perspective it works well from my system admin perspective.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the site moderators and financial supporters.  Without these people, we would not have this invaluable resource.  I rarely "push" for donations, but it's that time again where the bucket is empty.  It really only takes a few people who feel that this is a good resource to carry us through another year.  So if you are so inclined, look about three inches up from here and you'll see a "Donations" button. 

I will be working on the relocation of the domain to the new account sometime today.  Right before the actual cutover, the forums database will be copied, moved, and restored to the new spot "in the moment" and aside from maybe a minute or two "blackout", nobody should really know the difference.

UPDATE - Wow.  I hadn't realized that we have nearly a GIG of files, patches, etc.  So much for the quick cutover.  I apologize for the short notice, but time is scarce and I have that time today. Shouldn't take too long at all.

We're glad to have you here, and appreciate your ongoing support.

Rob

My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

bob e

Thank you for everything.  I've benefitted greatly from this forum and the many members who have shared their wisdom and creativity.  My donation was just sent.

Be Well,

Bob E. from CT
aka MIDIme

Slackjaw

UPDATE 1035:AM EDT

A couple of brief snags.  For some reason, the tranfer of the file system is taking a abnormally long time.  This will cause files, patches, avatars, and things like that to be unavailable for what appears to be about an hour.

In the meantime, the database is up and running, and posting should carry on as usual.

Further updates as there's more to tell.

Rob
My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

Slackjaw

8:38PM EDT - So with a couple of obligatory unforseen issues, we've relocated the entire VGuitar site including the forums, file libraries, and other content. 

Other than the forum being unavailable for a couple of brief brown-outs, has anyone got anything to report?

Thanks!

Paresh

I posted to the list but didn't receive any email notification of replies, which I usually get.
paresh

Paresh

Also when I reply to a post & send it, it returns me to the general discussion page, rather than to the page I replied to which it used to do.
paresh

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Returning to TOPIC instead of FORUM corrected.

Thanks for letting me know!  Please reply back if you see these issues repeat or other issues come up.

** Keep VGuitarForums alive with a donation:

How to Support VGuitarforums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1751.0

Brent Flash

Paresh

paresh