GR-55 Control Assignments

Started by mbenigni, May 11, 2011, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

Quote from:  musicman65 on December 24, 2012, 03:42:58 PM
You can't change patches without the drop out  delay. You can program the Control pedal to enable an overdrive effect. This will allow a lead boost within the same patch.

bd

+1 on this. A MIDI foot pedal would be a great addition to the 55, giving you more options to switch between w/o the need to change patches as often.  Otherwise, you will have to suffice with the ctl switch, expression pedal, and s1/s2 switches on the GK system.

Litesnsirens

Absolutely it's the way to go.  Expecially because you can assign up to 8 parameters to be changed with either the ctrl pedal or the exp. pedal.  It means to can cover a lot of ground on a single patch.  I only ever use 1 patch per song.  I use a different patch for each song and then arrange the patches in order of the set list.  As such I set all my solo settings to the exp pedal footswitch, and anything specials like changing to another sound like sax or piano to the control switch.  I even have patches with multiples sounds just from rocking the exp pedal back and forth.

Essentially the latency and lack of footswitches (only 3 before having to change banks) forced me to come up with a different methodology.  Now that I have done that, I find it much better and all my sounds are tailored specifically for the song. 

BasV

How far can tou go with the assigns ? There's 8 of 'm, but say you wanna change (within the same patch) between an acoustic model over a preamp model using some chorus/delay/reverb to an electric guitar model over an amp model with a wah, different delay settings and (say) a tremelo instead of an chorus and even switch on an pcm ??

Cheers,
Bas

scheek

Absolutely it's the way to go.  Expecially because you can assign up to 8 parameters to be changed with either the ctrl pedal or the exp. pedal.  It means to can cover a lot of ground on a single patch.  I only ever use 1 patch per song.  I use a different patch for each song and then arrange the patches in order of the set list.  As such I set all my solo settings to the exp pedal footswitch, and anything specials like changing to another sound like sax or piano to the control switch.  I even have patches with multiples sounds just from rocking the exp pedal back and forth.

Essentially the latency and lack of footswitches (only 3 before having to change banks) forced me to come up with a different methodology.  Now that I have done that, I find it much better and all my sounds are tailored specifically for the song.

I need a little help getting started to do this. The manual is really bad for me to follow. Is there a you-tube on how to do what you are doing?  It seems you have mastered your needs. Can you point me in a direction or tell me how to do a simple move. eg. I have a model with a guitar and need to move to a trumpet patch briefly. I want the guitar sound to cut completely when I push the expression petal to the trumpet.

Thanks.

gumtown

Quote from:  BasV on December 25, 2012, 11:35:12 AM
How far can tou go with the assigns ? There's 8 of 'm, but say you wanna change (within the same patch) between an acoustic model over a preamp model using some chorus/delay/reverb to an electric guitar model over an amp model with a wah, different delay settings and (say) a tremelo instead of an chorus and even switch on an pcm ??

Cheers,
Bas
I whipped up a jiffy patch (untested) here attached below with your requirements, the CTL pedal does the acoustic (nylon) to electric (LP) guitar model and preamp gain changes (main preamp type can't be assigned), and switching of delay type, time and chorus, reverb and tremolo, it also toggles PCM1 (acoustic nylon) and PCM2 (GR300 lead).
The EXP pedal switch engages the Wah and while engaged the EXP pedal controls the wah pedal position, otherwise it does the tone volume.
You need to activate assign 7 (editor issue) but give the patch a try and see how many functions or parameters can be changed without the ned to change patch
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BasV

Great :-) i will try it asap. I am practising to become a solo stickplayer ( kind of a oneman band haha) and taking full advantage of the equipment is gonna play an important role. I will be switching with sounds quit a lot during songs ( from comping to melody to solo etc)

Cheers,
Bas

BasV

Tried the patch..ouch, volume on the second setting was extremely loud !!
But I see the possibilities :-) I guess it's a matter of creativeness to get a 'more than 1' patch. Too bad that the amp model can't be changed using the assigns..Luckily I also use the POD X3, so that gives me extra possibilities in that area. It would be perfect to control both units via midi, it would keep tap dancing with the feet to a minimum, after all, as a stickplayer, i'm tapping with my hands already hahaha.
Off topic Gumtown, what is the most recent version of the Floorboard for Mac ? I'm using 201202021 at the moment.

Cheers,
Bas.

Litesnsirens

Ya the inability to change amp models is a bit of a hinderance, but when it comes to acoustic and electric guitar sounds I just turn the amp model off and on. Through a lot of experimenting I have found that, To me anyway, the acoustic sounds best by passing the amp models altogether.  I know there is a full range amp model which I tried out but ended up liking no amp model better for the acoustic tones anyway.  The changes in volume are easy enough to tweak, I think Gumtown what just throwing it together quick.

gandolf

i tend to use this method also, to make my sound changes. despite being limited to what and how many changes, it can really work if you are thoughtful.

A patch change can work, but only if you have a clear kind of break in the song.

as an aside: A few people have commented on the delay in patch changes...but i think more of a problem, is the cut-off of sound that occurs when changing patches....

for example, when using the exp or CTL peddle to "change" sounds, the old sound can still "hold" or  decay naturally, even after you've engaged the change. if instead you used your 1,2or3 patch peddle to do the same, the old sound is cut immediately....

If the "banks" were thought of more as "songs" instead within their architecture, then the possibilities would be different....imagine 3 variations for the same sound with 3 exp pedal settings, 3 CTL pedal settings, and 3x8 assigns.....

If Roland could remove either of the "cut-off" or the "delay" in patch changes, then we would be closer to seamless changes.....i wonder if that could be a Roland update?

w8ing4thewindshield

i'm sure they could. but will they? no.
there's nothing in it for them. (sigh)

ecca

I'm sure I read that it can be done.
Perhaps Gumtown can prove/disprove it.

the-destructor

Hey guys - here's your stupid question of the week - from me...
I know that I can use the exp pedal as volume for one (2?) PCM tones.
Can I use the pedal as a fade from one tone to another???
Example : Heel position 100% PCM1 0% PCM2, while toe would be the inverse.

Be all end all, I'd like to fade from clean tone to a dirty tone while being able to do percentages between the 2 as well.
Other options, all opinions and recipes welcome.

One of the days, I'll figure this all out. Probably with ALOT of help.
So thanks for now and MANY times in advance.

Cricket

In MASTER, GK/CTL, set EXP to cross fader and choose what you want for heel and toe position.   

There are other similar things you can do using the assigns, for example, you could cross fade from normal pickups to a model AND increase the amp gain simultaneously, but that is the basic way to do that.

the-destructor

Thank you for the info Cricket.
Will eagerly utilize once work slows down. I'm slammed!!!

joshraj

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the GR55 and I urgently need to know if the volume pedal can be set before delay/reverb so
I can use it for swells and effects but have the delay repeats trail off smoothly after the pedal is down.

I'm not able to figure out if I can move the position of the volume pedal in the chain and its works
only as a master volume.

Please help!

Cricket

Set EXP (or EXP ON) to "tone volume" for "vol pre."

Set them to "patch volume" for "vol post."

Peace,

C

pmkVGF01

I sometimes set up patches for specific songs, but need the EXP pedal to do different things for the different patches.  Sometimes, I need the EXP pedal to turn on PCM 2 on one patch, and turn on the modeler on another patch.  However, it seems that when I set the EXP pedal assignment, it is a global change and the EXP pedal assignment then does the same thing for all my patches. Is there a way to set the EXP pedal to do different tasks for different patches?  In the alternative, is there a way to use an external MIDI footswitch, like the Behringer FCB101, to control the GR-55 patches independently of each other.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elantric

Yes, Expression Pedal can be redefined for every patch.

Anything in the SYSTEM or MIDI tab is global and affects all patches.
All the rest are patch by patch.

Suggest watch the GR-55 Training Videos here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7327.0

Specifically GR-55 Expression Pedal CTL Pedal Setup

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7327.0

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

GR-55 FloorBoard Editor Help
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=86

* GR-55 Documentation Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2953.0

If you want to obtain more incite and better explanations of how Roland gear works - review the OWNERS MANUALS for the earliest examples of current gear.

http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php/file/7/14419/20030641-Boss-GT-x-Set-Up-v02.pdf

pmkVGF01

Thanks, Elantric. I will check them out.  Thanks for the help!

sixeight

I am having some trouble with the assigns in the attached patch.

In the patch I use the expression pedal to switch on both PCM tones. I want the PCM tones to be off when I select the patch. But whenever I power on my GR-55 the PCM tones are on. I have to switch them off and then they are off whenever I select the patch up the the point where I switch off my GR-55.

Assign hold is switched on, because I want to use the GK3-volume to control the volume of all my patches. I usually set it somewhere in the middle, so I can increase or decrease my volume.

Does anybody know a solution that the PCM tones are always off also right after powering the GR-55?

gumtown

Source Mode on your assigns is set to Toggle instead of Moment.

If you are using the EXP pedal for PCM tone level, is there a need to switch off the PCM tones?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from:  gumtown on February 20, 2014, 02:42:23 PM
Source Mode on your assigns is set to Toggle instead of Moment.

If you are using the EXP pedal for PCM tone level, is there a need to switch off the PCM tones?

Yes, I only use the EP sound occasionally, so it should be off regardless of the position of the expression pedal, which is usually all the way down. I want to switch on the PCM tones by rocking the expression pedal back and then bringing it up to the right level. I can switch off the tone by bringing it back and then it is safe to bring it back up to switch to wah without the EP sound coming back on and cutting out.

I just do not understand how the GR55 remembers whether something should be on or off or how I can change it. Now I have to check my patches after power on and switch all the PCM tones off. I don't even have to save them. They work fine until I cycle power. It is really weird.

Cricket

What happens if you switch target max/min to max = off, min = on?

Not sure about using active range to control this either... might it be better to use the internal pedal and have the int pedal trigger be EXP LOW?

If you save the patch with the pcms off, it should recall that way.   Should.   But you probably know that.

Also, on ASSIGN 5, you have ACT RNG set to min = 0, max = 3 for pcm 1 tone sw, (Dyno EP).   However, on ASSIGN 6, you have ACT RNG set to min = 0, max = 127 for pcm 2 tone sw, (Dyno EP).   Maybe your issue is there?

sixeight

Quotemight it be better to use the internal pedal and have the int pedal trigger be EXP LOW?

Cricket, you are a genius. With the internal pedal, the GR-55 behaves as expected. Thanks for helping me out on this one.

I attached the patch with the fix for anyone who is interested in this solution (or anyone who likes the patch)

Patch description (as it has been moved to the patch exchange area):
It is a Fender Strat into a Fender Twin with chorus and compression
Rocking back the expression pedal switches the EP on (with the middle strings one octave higher than the rest)
Ctl switch is the hold pedal.
Exp pedal switch activates the Wah.

Craig Feltham

Hi can anyone help me please?

I'm sure this isn't difficult, however, I can't seem to get my head around it.....

I want to use the CTRL pedal to turn the volume of the Normal Pickup to 0....I'm using the expression pedal for the volume of the PCM1.......

Any help would be appreciated, as I can't understand the manual.

Cheers,
Craig.