JOYO: PXL-Live Programmable MIDI / Analog Pedal Controller

Started by JiveTurkey, October 20, 2014, 03:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JiveTurkey

Alright.

Instead of starting a brand new thread, I decided to modify this existing thread with updated information. I am going to do the best I can to explain my situation and hope someone with midi programming capability can explain where I am going wrong.

The seller of the GSP backed out as the unit was having issues he did not want to pass on to the next person. Which was obviously good of him. I ended up buying this:

Programming pedal combinations was actually really straightforward. Bank 1A=rhythm tone, 1B=lead tone, 1C=my octave dropped guitar tone. My intention is to have 1D set synth volume to 100% on the GR33. I tried doing this by editing the 1D preset, sending a CC message on channel 1, CC# 7, CC value 100. In my mind, this will turn the synth volume all the way up when I go to the 1D preset. This part I have not done yet, (on 1A, 1B and 1C) is send CC channel 1 CC#7 with CC value of 0 on each of those presets. This (in my mind) will turn the synth "off" (volume wise, at least). What in the blue blazes am I doing wrong?

FWIW, I used this video manual and, up until MIDI implementation; I was doing good:

Elantric

JOYO: PXL-Live Programmable MIDI / Analog Pedal Controller $179
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-PXL-LIVE-Programable-Controller/dp/B00L9D7X98

(JOYO: PXL-Live Owners Manual is attached below )
http://www.joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_204.html

The PXL-Live is the newest member of the Joyo PXL series programmable pedals controllers - PXL4, PXL8, PXL-pro. the PXL-live is a very powerful pedal controller. It not only has dual 4 channel outputs like the PXLPro,and dual (relay)switch outputs for channel switching, it also has midi out. Programmable midi commands can be sent enabling you to control midi enabled devices such as: effect pedals, effects racks, keyboards or amps through the midi port.The pxl-live can send midi cc and midi program change commands at the same time and will allow "Hands free"control of your computer recording software. for musicians who own a lot of musical gear, the PXL-live will be the perfect pedal controller to make life easier.

.Fully programble
.Dual 4 channel loop design
.2 ×on board fully programmable trigger switch(relay)
.1 X midi out
.Midi cc and midi program change command are available simultaneously
.Buffered bypass
.Rated power supply votage:dc 9v
.Rated current consumption:220ma

Fully programmable
Dual 4 channel loop design
2 ×on board fully programmable trigger switch(relay)
1 X midi out

Review:
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-PXL-LIVE-Programable-Controller/dp/B00L9D7X98
amazing quality with intelligent features for a very low price!!!
By Chris Guco on September 9, 2014
Verified Purchase
It took me a while to search for a good pedal switcher with a reasonable price and I'm glad i found the PXL live.

This switcher is amazingly quite and it is built like a tank (you can really tell by just holding it)! once you figure out how to use it everything goes really smooth and easy from programming to gigging! the manual is quite short but you'll get more information in youtube - Henning Pauly (EytschPi42) did a very helpful video manual for this one.

I'm really glad Joyo incorporated a midi port in this pedal coz this is really a huge thing for me. I don't have to step on or bend over to change my delay settings or delay type, PXL live does it for me now. This comes as well with 2 trigger ports so I am using one trigger to switch my amp channel and the other one to on/off the boost switch of my overdrive pedal instead of stepping directly to it.

If you get what you paid for - then, this is the case where you get twice more than you paid for.=)[/i][/quote]

Elantric

PXL-Live Operating Instructions

Tuner and Mute Controls
When you are not in EDIT mode, step on the MUTE switch which will turn on the PXL-Live's TUNER OUT connection. Now your signal will be sent to the connected tuner but still go through to the amp and therefore be audible. If you now press MUTE again, LOOP 1 OUT and LOOP 2 OUT  will both get muted so that you can silently tune your instrument without bothering anyone. The third time you press the MUTE switch the PXL-Live will resume normal function and reactive LOOP 1 OUT  and LOOP 2 OUT again while at the same time cutting off the signal going to the tuner.

An interesting secondary function of this MUTE behavior can be its use for BI-AMPING. If you use two amplifiers you can use the PXL-Live and all the pedals you have connected to it with your primary amp and use the TUNER OUT to go to a secondary amp (maybe with its own pedal and switcher connected). In this case you would play through AMP 1 when the MUTE switch is in neutral position. If you push it once, the signal will go to both amplifiers and you are actively Bi-amping. If you push it a second time, you are only playing through AMP 2. (In this case the signal will go DRY to the amp and not run through the effects that are connected to the PXL-Live) If you push MUTE a third time you will be back to AMP 1. This is a nice side effect of the Mute function which opens up interesting options for a Live setup.

Switching Banks
When you are not in EDIT mode, stepping on Bank +/- will change to the next or previous banks. You have 8 banks with four presets each (A, B, C, D) available. Changing the BANK will not immediately change your current preset. Only AFTER hitting one of the preset switches (A, B, C, D) will the new preset be in effect. The display will already show you the new bank number. The LEDs on the preset switches begin to flash until you have selected the new preset on the selected bank.

General Information about the EDITING procedure
When you are not in EDIT mode already and with a preset selected (NOT bypassed), press and hold MUTE for more than 1 second to enter EDIT mode. This will allow you to edit the preset you have currently selected. You know that you have entered EDIT mode when the display shows EH, which is the first available menu item.

Use Bank +/- to select what you want to edit. The A/B/C/D switches are used to making the changes.
Click MUTE shortly to exit EDITING mode without saving.
Hold MUTE for more than 1 second to exit EDITING mode and SAVE your settings.
When editing MIDI functions you use Bank +/- to navigate to the MIDI setup (MA and MB) and then use the  A and B switches to navigate the sub-menu. Values within this menu will be changed with  C and D. To exit the value entry within the MIDI menus click the MUTE button shortly, this will bring you back to the MIDI menu.

The main menu options are:
EH   Editing of the HIGH Loops, also known as Loop 2, or, if you are counting from 1-8, EH will edit
   loops 5-8.
EL   Editing of the LOW Loops, also known as Loop 1, or, Loops 1-4 (from right to left on the PXL-Live)

ET   Editing of the behavior of the two trigger outputs when selecting a preset.
EB   Editing of the behavior of the two trigger outputs when switching the selected preset into BYPASS
EM   Edits Trigger Mode: Switch between MOMENTARY or LATCH mode. Which one applies to your
   depends on the equipment you are trying to switch. Consult the manual of the gear you want to
   switch. Or just use the ,,Try and Error" method. If one does not work, try the other.
EP   Selects the polarity of the trigger. Is the light up trigger LED ON or is it OFF? This also depends on
   how your connected equipment works. Play around with this setting if your experience problems.

MA   Under MA you can program two individual MIDI messages that are sent out when the preset is
   selected. Please consult the MIDI section of this manual for more information.
MB   Under MB you can program two individual MIDI messages that are sent out when the preset is
   switched to BYPASS. You might want to send program change message to your amp when putting
   the PXL-Live into Bypass so that you can play a distorted rhythm sound without any effects and
   switch to a clean sound with effects ON when engaging the preset again. Please consult the MIDI
   section of this manual for more information.

EDITING LOOP COMBINATIONS
After entering EDIT mode by holding MUTE for more an 1 second, use the Bank +/- switches to navigate to EH if you want to ad an effects from the higher loops (LOOP 2: 1-4 or Loops 5-8 if counted from right to left) or EL if you want to add effects from the lower loops (LOOPS 1: 1-4 or Loops 1-4 if counted from right to left).

If in EL setup, the A/B/C/D switches will turn ON (or OFF) Loops 4/3/2/1 respectively.
Loop 1
A: L4   B: L3   C:L2   D:L1

If in EH setup, the A/B/C/D switches will turn ON (or OFF) Loops 8/7/6/5 respectively.
Loop 2
A: L4 (8 )   B: L3 (7)   C:L2 (6)   D:L1 (5)

After you have selects the loops you want, you can EXIT Edit mode by holding the MUTE switch again for longer than 1 second. If you wish to exit without saving and revert back to your preset as it was before, just click the MUTE switch shortly.

EDITING TRIGGERS

When editing triggers it is recommended that you first figure out the correct POLARITY and the right TRIGGER MODE that works best with your equipment. Only then can you easily assign trigger states to all your presets.
POLARITY and TRIGGER MODE are global for the PXL-Live, so you only have to set them up once and they will be the same for all presets.

TRIGGER POLARITY EDITING
Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to enter EDIT mode and use Bank +/- to navigate to EP.
Now you can use switches A and B to change the polarity of Triggers T1 and T2.
A: T1   B: T2
The LEDs on the Triggers will indicate their ON/OFF status which corresponds to their polarity. (For example: If your Amplifier has a clean and a distorted channel, TRIGGER ON can be distorted OR TRIGGER ON can be the clean channel.) Adjust the polarity depending on your needs.
Use Bank +/- to navigate to the next menu item to edit it, hold MUTE to save or click MUTE to exit without saving.

TRIGGER MODE EDITING
Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to enter EDIT mode and use Bank +/- to navigate to EM.
Now you can use switches A and B to change the mode of Triggers T1 and T2.
LED ON represents Momentary Mode, which means that the trigger send a short trigger message (like it is telling your gear TURN ON or TURN OFF)
LED OFF represents Latch mode, which means that the trigger holds the on or off message, like keeping your foot on the switch. (like it is telling your gear STAY ON or STAY OFF)
Which one works best for your switching needs depends on your equipment. Consult the manual of your gear or try both options and see what works best.
Use Bank +/- to navigate to the next menu item to edit it, hold MUTE to save or click MUTE to exit without saving.

TRIGGER ACTIONS
Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to enter EDIT mode and use Bank +/- to navigate to ET (shown as Et).
Now you can use switches A and B to change the state of Triggers T1 and T2.
Pay attention to the Trigger LEDs to keep track of your changes.
This way, you can switch a series of pedals, which are connected to the loops (8 in front of the amp OR 4 in front and 4 in the FX loop), and your amp (or other switchable device, like the Joyo D-Seed Dual Channel Digital Delay) at the same time.
For example: You could have your amp on the clean channel (e.g. Trigger 1 OFF) with an overdrive pedal, chorus and some delay on PRESET A on Bank 1 and then switch to PRESET B, which switches to a phaser and changes your amp to the distorted channel. All this can be accomplished with just one press of a footswitch.

BYPASSED TRIGGER ACTIONS
Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to enter EDIT mode and use Bank +/- to navigate to EB (shown as Eb).
Now you can use switches A and B to change the state of Triggers T1 and T2.
Pay attention to the Trigger LEDs to keep track of your changes.
The use of this mode is to be able to BYPASS all of your pedals (connected to the loops) and at the same time switch your amp (or other switchable device).
For example: You are on PRESET C on Bank 2, which you set up to be a nice clean sound, using the clean channel of your amp, with a compressor, clean boost, chorus and reverb (4 pedals). Now you want to switch easily to an overdriven rhythm sound, using the second channel on your amp, but without any effects. In this case you program a BYPASSED TRIGGER ACTION to the same preset. (preset C on bank 2). Now you just click the switch C on bank 2 AGAIN, putting it into bypass and therefore bypassing all your pedals while at the same time switching the channel on your amplifier.

MIDI Functions

A word about MIDI:
The acronym MIDI stands for MUSICAL INSTRUMENT DIGITAL INTERFACE and was invented in 1983 to enable synthesizers to communicate with each other. Since then the MIDI language really hasn't changed and is still a very effective way to have devices communicate with each other. MIDI has many more uses than just sending messages between keyboards and guitar gear. Mix Consoles use MIDI to store and control automation. Lighting systems also communicate via MIDI as well as many other devices that have adopted this language.
MIDI is an 8 bit language, which by today's standards is antiquated, but still serves its purpose.

There is a variety of possible MIDI messages and the PXL-Live is capable of sending 2 kinds of those.
PROGRAM CHANGE (PC)   and   Continuous Controller (CC)

A program change simply lets your receiving device know which program to change to. Since MIDI is using 8 bits and the first bit is used for other information, this leaves 7 bits of possible values which adds up to 0-127.
Many devices count their programs (and other values) from 0-127. The PXL-Live counts from 1-128, so be aware of this fact when choosing your program change number, you might have to add one more in order to get the correct patch/program/preset.
BE AWARE:
Numbers higher than 99 get indicated by a dot between the two digits.
So 100 would be 0.0 / 112 would be 1.2 / 128 would be 2.8 !!! Get it, pretty simple, right!

A continuous controller could control and give values to a number of different things: Every company can define which CC messages their device can receive. You probably know those little joysticks or wheels on keyboards. Those are sending CC messages for PITCH and MODULATION. When you are changing the volume on a synthesizer sound, you are sending a CC message. In our case, you can send a CC message to an amplifier to change the level of a certain channel, as long as the amp is set up to receive and react to that message. You can use it to change the delay time on a MIDI capable delay or even to control the Looper functions (Rec/Overdub, Play, Stop) on delays that have continuous controllers mapped to those functions.
the possibilities are endless and are only limited by the type of gear you have and by how creative you want to get with your PXL-Live.

A program change message consists of two words:
The first MIDI word tells your device a program change is coming and the second word tells it WHICH program to change to. (This is why the n1/n2 parameter is not used for program change messages)

A continuous controller message consists of three words:
The first MIDI word tells your device that a continuous controller is coming, the second one tells it WHICH kind of controller message is coming and the third one gives it the value between 0-127 (PXL-Live shows 1-128)

MIDI Setup
In the PXL-Live's MIDI setup you have the menu options MA and MB (showing the display as NA and NB, the letter n is displayed as a lower case letter, the upper case N us supposed to me an M).
MA sends 2 separate MIDI messages when engaging the preset.
MB sends 2 separate MIDI messages when putting the preset in BYPASS

For either MA or MB the menu options E1/A1/C1/n1 are controlling the FIRST message that is being sent, which can be either a program change of a continuous controller. E2/A2/C2/n2 set up the second message which can also be a PC or CC.

MIDI Channels
You could send 2 program changes to 2 separate devices on different channels, for example. MIDI cables can carry up to 16 different MIDI streams on 16 different channels. Simply set your receiving device to the correct channel and it will only react to MIDI messages that are being sent on that channel and ignore everything else that might also be carried on the same cable. This way you can DAISY-CHAIN several devices and each device can be talked to independently.

MA Setup
(MB is exactly the same, but those messages get sent out when you put the preset into bypass)

Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to enter EDIT mode and use Bank +/- to navigate to MA (shown as NA).
Now you can use switches A and B to change between E1/A1/C1/n1 and E2/A2/C2/n2.

Here is an overview of what those letters stand for:
E   Changes between OFF/PC/CC
   OFF sends no MIDI message at all
   PC sends a PROGRAM CHANGE message
   CC sends a CONTINUOUS CONTROLLER message

A   The A parameter simply selects the MIDI Channel on which to send the message.
   Make sure your receiving device is also set to receive on that channel.

C   When in PC mode, the C parameter will send the PROGRAM NUMBER.
   When in CC mode, the C parameter will send the CONTINUOUS CONTROLLER NUMBER
   Consult your devices midi implementation chart for a list of controller numbers.
   Make sure to add 1 in case your device starts counting at 0.
   Remember, the PXL-Live counts 1-128
   BE AWARE: Numbers higher than 99 get indicated by a dot between the two digits.
   So 100 would be 0.0 / 112 would be 1.2 / 128 would be 2.8 !!! Get it, pretty simple, right!

n   In PC mode this parameter is blank. You don't need it for program changes.
   In CC mode this parameter sends the CC value.
   Make sure to add 1 in case your device starts counting at 0.
   Remember, the PXL-Live counts 1-128
   BE AWARE: Numbers higher than 99 get indicated by a dot between the two digits.

So here is how it works:
PROGRAM CHANGE
Let's say you want to send a program change to your digital delay (which starts counting at 0 and goes to 127).
1.   Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second
2.   Push Bank +/- until you get to MA (looks like NA)
3.   Now use A and B to navigate around the MIDI menu. Navigate to E1.
4.   Use C and D to change the E1 parameter. Change it to PC
5.   Click MUTE to go back one level on the menu
6.   Hit B to go to the A1 menu item.
7.   Use C and D to select the MIDI channel from 1-16, depending on which channel you set on your delay.
8.   Click MUTE to go back one level on the menu
9.   Hit B to go to the C1 menu item.
10.   Here you set the desired program change. Look on your delay to find out which program you want. If your delay shows 41, then you use C and D to select 42 (because the PXL-Live counts 1-128 and therefore you have to add 1).
11.   Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to save your settings.

You do not need to set up the n1 parameter because it is not being used for Program Changes.

If you want to send a second program change to another effect or amp, simply repeat these steps but use the E2/A2/C2 settings which stand for the second MIDI message.

Continuous Controller:
Let's assumer in addition to switching your delay to program 41, which we just did, we also want to tell it to change the MIX parameter to 100% so that we only hear the delayed signal.
For this, we have to consult the MIDI IMPLEMENTATION CHART (which could also be called MIDI SPECIFICATION) of the delay's manual.
On that page we have to locate the MIX parameter and see what Continuous Controller Number the manufacturer has assigned to it.
In this example we have a MIX parameter with the CONTINUOUS CONTROLLER number 14.
Since our manufacturer counts in values from 0-127 we again have to add 1 in order to adjust for the fact that the PXL-Live counts 1-128.

So our desired CC number is 15 and we want a value of 128 (2.8 on the display) to set it all the way to fully wet with only the delay being audible.

BE AWARE:
Numbers higher than 99 get indicated by a dot between the two digits.

Let's do it:
1.   Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second
2.   Push Bank +/- until you get to MA (looks like NA)
3.   Now use A and B to navigate around the MIDI menu. Navigate to E2.
4.   Use C and D to change the E2 parameter. Change it to CC
5.   Click MUTE to go back one level on the menu
6.   Hit B to go to the A2 menu item.
7.   Use C and D to select the MIDI channel from 1-16, depending on which channel you set on your delay.
(Since we are sending to the same device that we previously sent the program change to, it should be the same channel as A1.)
8.   Click MUTE to go back one level on the menu
9.   Hit B to go to the C2 menu item.
10.   Here you set the desired CC number. We already figured out that we need to set it to 15 if we want to
control the MIX on the delay. You use C and D to select 15
11.   Click MUTE to go back one level on the menu
12.   Hit B to go to the n2 menu item.
13.   You use C and D to enter the value of 128 to fully set the MIX to wet. The display needs to read 2.8
The decimal point indicates that we are seeing numbers over 100. Instead of going through all the numbers you can just hit C and go backwards past 0 to get to 128 faster. Alternatively, by holding down C or D you can scroll through the values more quickly.
14.   Hold MUTE for longer than 1 second to save your settings.

NOW...
if you hit your preset, two MIDI messages will be sent:
A Program Change switching your delay to patch 41 (set with E1/A1/C1) and a Continuous Controller going to the same delay changing the Mix parameter to be on its maximum value of 127 (set with E2/A2/C2/n2)

Don't forget to activate the Loop the delay is in or you won't be able to hear it.

This is obviously only one of many many possible things you can do with PC and CC messages. Study the manual of your MIDI controllable devices to see what else you can control remotely and use within a PRESET on the PXL-Live.

admin