SY-300 - Setting custom patches at the same volume

Started by baga, September 13, 2016, 11:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baga

How can I set at the same level all the patches I created? Setting patch volume/compressor, gains, volume and effects all the same still doesn't sound quite at the same volume. It can create some difficulties during live gigs, so I was wondering where I've been doing wrong!

Elantric

Adjust  patch volume for each patch ( and press "WRITE" twice to save) until your patches match and are equal decibel level as SY-300 in  bypassed mode

baga

Quote from: Elantric on September 13, 2016, 11:12:51 AM
Adjust  patch volume for each patch ( and press "WRITE" twice to save) until your patches match and are equal decibel level as SY-300 in  bypassed mode
Yeah that's what I've done, but they seem always different between each other...

Elantric

QuoteYeah that's what I've done, but they seem always different between each other...

I use a SPL meter on my iPhone

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/spl-modules/spl_meter.html

Brak(E)man

The beat way is with a Db meter as said,
but also setting the level in a contex
can be nessesary , (try some different backing tracks)

some sounds even though
at same Db level can be experienced as being
different in volume.

Compare a acoustic sologuitar with a symphony orchestra
at the same Db setting and you'll know what I mean,
the psychoacoustics come in to play.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Radu

Another option would be to connect via USB to your computer, set the latency to a minimum in the SY-300 control panel, open up your favorite DAW, and check your levels that way. Off topic: there are even plugins that can function as an oscilloscope, pretty cool to actually look at the shape of the waveforms that way.

baga

Quote from: Radu on September 16, 2016, 03:17:14 PM
Another option would be to connect via USB to your computer, set the latency to a minimum in the SY-300 control panel, open up your favorite DAW, and check your levels that way. Off topic: there are even plugins that can function as an oscilloscope, pretty cool to actually look at the shape of the waveforms that way.
Audacity could be ok?

daobass

Also keep in mind that the output level knob on the SY-300 controls only its output. It doesn't affect the bypassed volume of your instrument, so if you A/B the synth sound level with your instrument, make sure you have the output knob set at the same level later, or the volumes will be skewed.