GR-55 F.A.Q.

Started by Elantric, February 12, 2011, 03:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Right Foot

It's been said by others, but set the guitar's intonation using the GR-55 tuner.

Elantric

Remember the GR-55 can boot up in two operating modes

Guitar Mode

Bass Mode

* If BASS MODE is selected, some parameter names are displayed
differently than in GUITAR MODE.
(Example) String numbers "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" --> "H, 1, 2, 3, 4, L."

Once you assign the GR-55 operating Mode type, it will remain in the currently assigned operating mode on every boot.
Out of the box, the GR-55 ships from the factory in Guitar operating Mode, and many guitarist GR-55 owners forget it has a Bass operating Mode.

Here is how to change the GR-55's Operating Mode (See GR-55 Owners Manual - Page 9)

Summary of GR-55 Owners Manual E3 "Important Notes:

#1 NOTE! (page 8 )
• To prevent malfunction and/or damage to speakers or other devices, always turn down the volume, and turn off the power on all devices before
making any connections.
• Switch on the power to all of your equipment before you raise the volume of the amp.

#2 NOTE! (page 8 )
The settings you were editing will be lost when the power is turned off. If you want to keep your settings, you must save your settings before
turning the power off.

#3 NOTE! (page 9)
GK settings are extremely important in order to play the GR-55 with the best possible sound. You must be sure to make these settings correctly.

#4 NOTE! (page 54)
For each patch, you can change the operation that occurs when you operate the pedal or operate the GK controls (p. 61). For details on the parameters, refer to "PEDAL/GK CTL" (p. 55). This is available if the SYSTEM parameter "FUNCTION" (p. 76) is set to "PATCH SETTING." (If unavailable, the display will indicate "**[SYSTEM]**".)

#5 NOTE! (page 63)
If you edit the value of a parameter that's assigned to a controller, and then save the patch, some parameters will be overwritten with the initial state of the controller. This will make it seem as though the edited value has not been saved. To avoid this situation, choose the OFF setting for the PEDAL/GK CTL parameter FUNCTION (p. 55, p. 76) and for the ASSIGN parameter SWITCH (p. 57) of the function being assigned.

#6 NOTE! (page 65)
• Never insert or remove a USB memory while this unit's power is
on. Doing so may corrupt the unit's data or the data on the USB
memories.
• Carefully insert the USB memory all the way in-until it is firmly in
place.
• If the GR-55 is connected to your computer via a USB cable, you
won't be able to use USB memory to play audio files.
• Dimensions of USB memory that can be installed: 60 (length: including
connector) x 26 (width) x 13.5 (thickness) mm or smaller

#7 NOTE! (page 66)
Use a USB cable (sold separately) to connect the GR-55 to your computer.
• This might not work correctly for some types of computers. Refer
to the Roland website for details on the operating systems that
are supported.
• Before connecting the GR-55 to other devices, you must minimize
the volume of all devices and turn off their power in order to
prevent malfunctions and speaker damage.
• Use a USB cable that supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed operation.
• Use a USB connector on your computer that supports USB 2.0
Hi-Speed operation.
• Turn on the GR-55's power before you start up your DAW software
on the computer. Do not turn the GR-55's power on/off while the
DAW software is running.

#8 NOTE! (page 71)
When the power is turned off, any settings you were editing will be lost. You must save settings that you want to keep.

#9 NOTE! (page 72)
This operation will rewrite all of the GR-55's settings. If you've stored important data in the GR-55, be sure to save the data to separate USB memory before you execute this operation.

#10 NOTE! (page 73)
If important data you've created has been stored in the GR-55, be aware that the data you've edited or created will all be lost if you execute a factory reset. If you want to keep this data, you must save it to USB memory (p. 72).

#11 NOTE! (page 73)
If the GR-55 is set to "BASS MODE," it will return to "GUITAR MODE" (p. 9).

Summary of GR-55 Owners Manual "MEMOS":

#1 MEMO  (page 7)
• Be aware that string buzz due to a warped neck or worn frets, or faulty octave adjustment, can cause problems such as wrong notes being produced.
• This unit does not support 7-string guitars/basses or other non-standard guitars/basses. Check the Web for details about installing GK pickups
• On the Roland website, the "GK-3/3B Installation Tips" page provides an explanation and photos on how to attach a GK pickup. Be sure to take a look! http://www.roland.com/GK/

#2 MEMO  (page 9)
If you connect different guitars to the GR-55 at different times, you can individually save settings for each guitar. For details, refer to "Setting the GK Pickups (GK SETTING)" (p. 69).

#3 MEMO  (page 13)
When tuning a guitar that's equipped with a vibrato arm, tuning one string may cause other strings to drift out of tune. In this case, start by tuning each string approximately, so that the correct note name is shown, and then retune each string repeatedly until all strings are tuned correctly.

#4 MEMO  (page 16)
With the factory settings, you can use the GK pickup [S1]/[S2] buttons to switch banks.

#5 MEMO  (page 23)
If you select the "Drums" tone category, there will be fewer editable parameters than those listed in this manual.

#6 MEMO  (page 24)
This screen shows the parameters that are marked by a "#" symbol in the parameter list (p. 25 –). The parameters that you can edit will different for each tone.

#7 MEMO  (page 24)
Edit the parameter settings. Use the cursor buttons to select the tone parameter that you want to edit, and use the dial to edit the value.
This screen shows the parameters that are marked by a "#" symbol in the parameter list (p. 25 –).
The parameters that you can edit will differ for each tone.

#8 MEMO  (page 24)
If you want to adjust the overall volume of the patch, use the cursor
buttons to select the PATCH LEVEL field, and use the dial to edit the
value. Value: 0–200

#9 MEMO  (page 35)
ENV MOD SW - ON - Each time you pluck the string, the VCF cutoff frequency will move from high toward low, producing a "wah" effect. Extremely high cutoff frequency settings will make this effect difficult to discern.

#10 MEMO  (page 35)
ENV MOD SW - INV - Each time you pluck the string, the VCF cutoff frequency will move from low toward high, producing an "oo-ahh" that is the opposite of the "wah" effect. Fairly high cutoff frequency settings will make this effect easier to discern.

#11 MEMO  (page 35)
ENV MOD SENS - 0-100 - Adjusts the input sensitivity of the envelope modulation. Higher settings of this value will increase the range of envelope modulation that occurs when you pluck a string softly.
Listen to how the sound is affected while you adjust this parameter. Start with the setting at about "0," and play while you gradually raise the value. Setting ENV MOD ATTACK to "0" will make it easier to hear the change.

#12 MEMO  (page 36)
PITCH DUET  - DUET - If this is "ON," a sawtooth wave at the same pitch as the original sound will be added to the hexa-VCO, making the sound richer.
By setting the hexa-VCO's pitch shift to a PITCH setting such as +/-12 (an octave up/down), +/- 7 (a perfect fifth), or +/-5 (a perfect fourth), you can create thick, synthesizer-like sounds. By setting PITCH FINE to about "+/-5" to slightly skew the pitch shift of the hexa-VCO, you can give the sound greater depth.

#13 MEMO  (page 36)
PITCH SWEEP SW - Turns the Sweep function on/off.
Normally, you'll use Control Assign to control PITCH SW, and use the control to operate PITCH SW.
The Sweep function is effective when you operate PITCH SW to change the pitch shift amount for the hexa-VCO.
It does not operate on changes that occur in the input pitch while the pitch shift amount is unchanged.
SWEEP RISE and SWEEP FALL have no effect if SWEEP SW is "OFF."

#14 MEMO  (page 36)
VIBRATO SW - Turns the vibrato effect on/off.
If you make Control Assign settings to control VIBRATO SW, you'll be able to add powerful vibrato by turning VIBRATO SW "ON" when desired during your performance. * You can't apply vibrato to the hexa-distortion.

#15 MEMO  (page 39)
Edit the parameters. Use the cursor buttons to select the effect parameter that you want to edit. Use the dial to edit the value. This screen shows the parameters that are marked with a "#" symbol in the parameter list (p. 41 –). The parameters that can be edited will differ depending on the effect.

#16 MEMO  (page 39)
If you want to keep the changes you made, save the patch (p. 60). If you want to adjust the overall volume of the patch, use the cursor buttons to select the PATCH LEVEL field, and use the dial to edit the value. Value: 0–200

#17 MEMO  (page 54)
The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and the sound of the modeling tone.
For example, you can make settings so that the normal pickup sound and the modeling tone sound will be played through a guitar amp, while the other synthesizer sounds will be played through the PA system connected to the OUTPUT jacks. For details, refer to System settings "GUITAR OUT Jack Settings (GUITAR OUT)" (p. 70).
For details on the parameters, refer to "GUITAR OUT" (p. 59). If the SYSTEM setting GUITAR OUT (p. 80) is set to anything other than "PATCH," this setting is ignored.

#18 MEMO  (page 61)
Switch delay on/off by pressing the [CTL] pedal
Make the following parameter settings.
• SYSTEM  - PEDAL/GK CTL
Tab Parameter  Value       Page
CTL FUNCTION DELAY SW p. 76
You should first raise the "EFFECT LEVEL" (p. 52) setting for DELAY.

#19 MEMO  (page 65)
USB Memory Stick Playback - Press the [ENTER] button once again to start playback.
During playback, you can use the PAGE [ ] [ ] buttons to rewind or fast-forward.

#20 MEMO  (page 71)
Changing the Output Sound from the GUITAR OUT Jack for Each Patch
1. Set the system parameter GUITAR OUT–SOURCE (p. 80) to "PATCH."
For details on setting the system parameters, refer to "Settings for the Entire GR-55 (SYSTEM)" (p. 69).
2. Set the master parameter GUITAR OUT–SOURCE (p. 59) to the setting you want to use.
For details on editing the master parameters, refer to "Patch Settings
(MASTER)" (p. 54).

• The setting of the GUITAR OUT jack does not affect the output from the OUTPUT jacks.
If you don't want the output from the GUITAR OUT jack to be included in the sound that's output from the OUTPUT jacks, you must separately set each of the patch's tone settings to "OFF."
• If the GUITAR OUT–SOURCE setting is "BOTH," the normal pickup sound and the modeling tone sound will be mixed and output.
• The OUTPUT SELECT (p. 70) setting does not apply to the sound that's output from the GUITAR OUT jack.

#21 MEMO  (page 74)
PICKUP PHASE - Specifies the phase of the divided pickup and the guitar's normal pickup.
Set this to "NORMAL," and if the low-frequency range is cut, change it to the "INVERSE" setting.
The phase will be easier to detect if the divided pickup sound is mixed with the normal pickup sound.

Jim Williams

I read some post this week that got me thinking of some possibilities of the GR-55. the first idea was to switch from a 12 string acoustic model to a Les Paul through a high gain amp.
assign 1 switch guitar models
assign 2 turn the amp on and off
assign 3 turn 12 string on and off

the second idea was to switch amps with a single guitar model.
1 turn on the amp block and turn on the amp sim in the MFX block.
assign 1 switch the path of the modeled guitar from MOD to MFX.

I did not know you could do this and now it has opened new doors for patch creation. Now I can do alot more things within a patch.

Just a side note: the amp sims in the MFX block are week so I recommend use them for clean or low gain amp sounds only.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Beirne

Quote from: gtrjimmy413 on August 11, 2011, 04:21:32 PM
I read some post this week that got me thinking of some possibilities of the GR-55. the first idea was to switch from a 12 string acoustic model to a Les Paul through a high gain amp.
assign 1 switch guitar models
assign 2 turn the amp on and off
assign 3 turn 12 string on and off

the second idea was to switch amps with a single guitar model.
1 turn on the amp block and turn on the amp sim in the MFX block.
assign 1 switch the path of the modeled guitar from MOD to MFX.

I did not know you could do this and now it has opened new doors for patch creation. Now I can do alot more things within a patch.

Just a side note: the amp sims in the MFX block are week so I recommend use them for clean or low gain amp sounds only.
Tip- use an assign to set the gain and output levels of the amp. That way you can use the amp with the acoustic too.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

nosaintnick

I've recently started trying to play live Dub-Step and am mainly using the GR55 (I'll integrate the VG99 once I get a US20). It's been quite a challenge programming sounds that are typical of the genre. There is a ton of modulation going on in some of these signature tones like the wobbly bass drops and growling, spitting mid range saws. For a while I wasn't sure I'd have control over all the parameters I want in the way I want.

Basically I needed to figure out how to control assign controllers with other assign controls. I'm trying my best to keep it all "in box" rather than relying on external sequencers or control surfaces.

I realized using the patch tempo in various ways really aides in achieving some of this meta control. Try using the wav or internal pedals for assign control sources and setting their sweeps to divisions of the patch tempo to control various parameters of your pcm tones (like LFO beat divisions) then assign the tempo itself to be controlled by another wav or internal pedal control. This will get you some pretty interesting results and and mix things up quick! I was able to get bass drops that pulsate at various tempos all on their own (that is I didn't have to press any buttons to change tempos).

The nagging thing I've found at this point is that you're limited in how you can trigger when a particular wav or internal pedal controller starts. It would be great if we could turn assigns on or off at will via a midi cc or nuance control or whatever. Or imagine what would be possible if you could re-trigger an internal pedal controller with each plucked note, it would certainly make high level control schemes more efficient to say the least.

I have the feeling if I were to integrate MAX I could achieve the higher level controls I'm looking for. I've only started reading about the capabilities of it's existing modules and it seems like I'd be able to trigger an oscillator, using it as a pseudo "internal pedal", with a note input (either midi are audio). Hell I've heard of people using various colored lights as trigger inputs. Anyone using MAX to control the GR55?

Sorry for the rambling dissertation. The Gr55 (and vg99) are deep units and while I wouldn't say they're deeply flawed it's just that the more I dig the more I wish they could do.

Sickboy

Quote from: gtrjimmy413 on April 16, 2011, 07:02:18 AM
I found some products online that will let you use your EV-5 and FS-6 with the GR-55 midi ports. The company is called Midi Solutions and they make converter boxes that let you use your foot switches as midi controllers. Both boxes are midi powered and can be chained together. They can be edited via your computers midi port with their software.

Here is the link   http://www.midisolutions.com/

wow, pedal controller isnt it? can we use this? im assign ev-5 as ps6 expression pedal, and connect to GR55 through midi port, how bout the routing? can i use this after the distortion  route ,so it not necessary using any more amps through guitar output just the stereo out to PA/keyboard amps, thx

steveg

How do I use the GR-55 as a midi control in programs like garageband so I can trigger garage band sounds with the guitar?

fuzzfactory

did i hear someone say dub step with a guitar ...i call it "stratstep" ;)
here is a little improv thing i did 2010...i got lots more patches that go wobble wobble rez fuzz all with vg-99
hoping to land some more work so i can buy the gr-55....then it will be on!!!
nosaintnick do you have any thing we can hear?
would love to finally see / hear more people pushing the limits as to what these boxes can do!

aliensporebomb

If I had access to a drummer like Brendan I'd be all over that.  I've got a TON of new patches that even I am amazed at.  Be perfect for dubstep or any number of techno/dance sub genres.  Stay tuned.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

fuzzfactory

would you mind sharing of said patches  ;)

unfortunately musically speaking i moved to the mountains outside of seattle and no longer live in SF so
playing with brennan is no more :(
i am doing my solo thing...i make all my own beats via v-drums and all kinds of loops that i would also add to brennan drum parts

i have more control over the groove as i am also a drummer playing pretty much my whole as well as guitar
so that makes it easier in a club environment...i have 8 tracks of drums with 80 different "beats"
that i can pick and choose from while live looping....much more 'dj" style

BUT!!!!!!
man having a friggin drummer take care of the BEAT and got to do is make and tweek loops ....SOOOOOO much more fun!
i got my eye out for a drummer but fer now solo i go =)

the major plus side...my view is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! such a great place to create
north bend, wa home of twin peaks baby

Orren Merton

Quote from: fuzzfactory on February 05, 2012, 08:32:54 PM
would love to finally see / hear more people pushing the limits as to what these boxes can do!

Dude!  That is absolutely excellent, I love it!

I'm on the industrial-metal side of the world, but I also love anything that takes the guitar synth and stretches it past the traditional guitarist-plays-the-piano-part usage. I've just finished my next Ember After EP—got the mastered tracks back last week! I'll be sharing one of the songs that has a GR-55 solo in another thread. I've just been too busy recently finishing up the second draft of my next novel. But soon!

Thanks for sharing—really excellent stuff!

Orren

fuzzfactory

thanks Orren!

i love me some industrial- metal can't wait to hear your music

mooncaine

Another top thing to know, especially if you haven't decided whether to buy a GR-55 yet:

It only has one MIDI pitch bend range setting: 24 semitones. You can't adjust that.

Great for some, terrible for others. I find that some of the soft synths in Ableton Live only have a 12 semitone bend range (Analog, for example, and Simpler).

Jim Williams

Here are some new ideas that I came up with for setting up various hexiphonic pickups. I recently installed a piezo system on My Les Paul and I disovered some new tricks for setting up the GK settings in the GR-55. It's kinda detailed so I put it into this PDF document.

=====

As we all know we don't all have GK-3 pickups installed on all our guitars and some of us have multiple
guitars with different Pickup systems. I will cover some basic principles I have discovered when I
installed a piezo system on one of my guitars.

Through reading the threads on this topic I have found some useful Ideas and discovered some new
ones. The first rule is set up your GR-55 and any other 13 pin synth or processor so that it knows your
guitar. Set the sale length correctly, if you don't know it you can measure it or look it up on line. Most
guitar sites include the scale length in the details of the guitar. As a rule you should set the correct
pickup type but you can try other types. I use the Fishman setting for my GK-3 pickup; I can EQ it to get a
little better tone from COSM acoustic guitars. The only other setting on the first page that I change is the
Normal Pickup gain, if you dial it back to -4 you will get less noise when using the normal pickups. 

The string distance page is only useful for the tone of your COSM guitars and is only necessary if you
select GK-3 or GK-2A pickups. This setting will not affect tracking or dynamics.

Setting your sensitivities is very important and I have read many threads on the topic. The best results
come from setting the sensitivity as high as you can without passing the last dot on the meter. This
includes Piezo pickups as well. I have read many threads that say to set it to 0. This will provide good
PCM tracking but it will lessen the dynamic response of your playing. If your Piezo pickup still glitches we
can fix this on the next page. Remember these concepts w apply for all pickup types. And applying them
will improve your playing experience.

The next page is the Velocity settings. Now here is the revelation I came up with and you will be amazed.
Lower the Velocity dynamics to about 2. Remember when I said we would fix the glitches from the
sensitivity page that's how you do it. From now on you can set Velocity and play feel per patch in the
Velocity settings.  You have 2 settings here in the patch Velocity curve and level velocity sensitivity.
Every instrument responds differently to your paying and you have to set each one a little different to
get the most out of it. 
I usually set the play feel on the low side also 2 0r 3 is good d play guitar. This setting can be increased or
decreased in each patch with Velocity curve also. 
Low Velocity cut is for those unessential notes from brushing against the strings. Set this above 5 but be
careful because it will cut off any week signal and you will lose some dynamic ability. You can make up
for this by playing every not strong and accurate (if you are anything me this is not possible) or you can
use the legato option. Legato is notes that are tied together (slides, slurs, bends, taps and trills). This is
even helpful for instruments with the chromatic option.

On the Nuance page you can leave it default for piezo pickups but for GK's I suggest setting the Nuance
trim to 8. This will especially help with triggering drums. For some reason the Ab snare drum needs a
little help triggering and it also helps with other tones as well but the drum kits is where it shows the
most. Drums have fewer editing parameters and they can be tricky. You will need to employ a lot of
palm muting to get an accurate performance.

Always keep in mind when using PCM sounds you are no longer a guitar player you are a synth player
and you will need to learn new techniques to achieve a flawless performance.

The topics covered in this article are purely my opinions and feel free to experiment or use whatever
works for you. Remember every guitar is different and no one setting will work for everyone. 

I am ordering an OPT-1 from RMC soon and I will cover my thoughts on what it does and does not
improve. So far everything in my GR-55 is working great without it with the exception of the GR-300
COSM model but I got around that by using the GR-300 PCM.

Side note for Piezo users.... If you use some kind of foam on the other side of your bridge on Les Paul
type guitars it will get rid of that overtone/feedback pitch on COSM guitars.

Jimmy.

Elantric

Thanks Jim for the Great tips!

Jim Williams

There is always something to be learned and I try to take in as much as I can. Just when I am board with the thing I figure out something new. There so many bright and talented individuals here in the forum to learn from. Pay attention, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Jim Williams

I found a new trick to expand your control options in the GR-55 and it will work with any other processor as well. you can use your heel position of your expression pedal as a switch by selecting for example the delay switch as a target parameter. choose your EXP Pedal as the source and set it to toggle. then you act range low to 0 and the act range high to 1 and when your pedal hits all the way down it will turn your delay on and off. this trick can be employed as a momentary control as well and if you want to have it in the toe position set the act low to 126 and the ACT high to 127. you can do this with your GK volume ant have a switch at both ends of the knob. so that will give you 4 more controllers you can use. warning: if you use the toe position as an assign it will activate if you also use the toe switch as an assign.

I came up with this idea in reading one of gumtows posts in which he mentioned this idea in passing while addressing another question, the man is truly a genius.

Filialen

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 29, 2012, 07:54:04 AM

The next page is the Velocity settings. Now here is the revelation I came up with and you will be amazed.

Yes! This did it for me! No more ghost notes!!  ;D
Thank you, Jim!

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

admin

A tip for trying out other guitars with the GR-55

==
Using a second guitar with regular pickups on the GR-55

Here's a tip if you want to use a second guitar with the GR-55. The GK-3 is on my steinberger guitar but i wanted to use my stratocaster with my gr-55 wich is impossible because there's no input for a régular guitar, what i did is simply unplug the 1/4 small cord for the GK-3 from my steinberger and plug-in my strat with a regular 1/4 cable to the on the GR-55 input of the GK and Voilà!... Now it's possible to use the normal pickup of my strat in to the GR-55. Plus...Now 2 guitars players can use the GR-55 at the same time! WoW!

BasV

2 signals into one device, my every day reality with the chapman stick.
I have to try routing the bass side through the gr55 using the regular input. I'm using a pos x3 for bass side mainly and also the guitar side, choices choices choices hahaha

Cheers,
Bas

Elantric

Roland GR-55 Documentation for Downloaded Patches
http://www.rolandus.com/go/gr-55_artist_patches/assets/gr-55_release_note_01.pdf

Recommended GR-55 amps are here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.0

Roland US Knowledge Base articles on the GR-55 (July 2012)
http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/?HD_ID=105241

--
Hearing Your Normal (Guitar) Pickup Signal

If you want to hear your guitar's original pickup sound in the GR-55, you need to activate the NORMAL PICKUP switch within each patch. Here's how.

1. Choose a patch to edit.

2. Press the EDIT button.

3. Press PAGE left until you select the TONE menu.

4. Press the down-cursor button to select NORMAL PICKUP.

5. Turn the dial to highlight the NORMAL PICKUP box.

6. Set the GK select switch to the MIX position.

Note: If you want to hear only the guitar sound, de-select the PCM1, PCM2, and Model boxes as well.

If desired, press WRITE to save the new setting as a User patch, and then repeat the process for any patch in which you want to hear the original pickup sound.

--
Setting the Pickup Sensitivity

Adjusting the GK pickup sensitivity settings in the GR-55 is crucial for optimum tracking results. Use the following steps to adjust the string sensitivity.

1. Press the EDIT button.

2. Press the PAGE right arrow button to the select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Cursor to "GK SETTING," and then press ENTER.

Selecting the pickup type:

1. Press PAGE left or right to select the PU (for "Pickup") tab.

2. Cursor to "PU TYPE."

3. Turn the dial select the type of 13-pin pickup system that's installed in your guitar—GK-2, GK-3 etc.

Note: If you're using a piezo pickup system, select the appropriate piezo manufacturer:

Fishman—Piezo F
    Graphtech—Piezo G
    LR Baggs—Piezo L
    RMC—Piezo R
    General Piezo—Piezo

--

Adjusting string sensitivity:

1. Press PAGE left or right to select the SEN tab.

2. Cursor to "1ST STRING SENS."

3. Play the first string (High E) repeatedly with the maximum amount of force you would use during your actual performance. Observe the level meter as it moves from left to right.

4. Turn the dial to increase or decrease the sensitivity. The level should reach up to about the "NUA" tab at the top of the display.

5. Cursor down to the second string and repeat Step 4.

6. Repeat the process for each of the remaining strings.

Note: It's normal to have different sensitivity number values for each string. Just be sure that the strings' level meters are even with each other.

7. When you're finished, press EXIT twice—the new settings are saved automatically.

Additional details regarding the sensitivity are available on page 10 and 75 in the GR-55 Owner's Manual.

The GR-55 Owner's Manual can be downloaded from our website here:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/owners_manuals/?group=3

--
Working with the Velocity Parameters

After setting the sensitivity and pickup parameters properly, you can also adjust the velocity parameters. These parameters can help with ghost notes and improve inconsistent tracking results:

1. Press the EDIT button.

2. Press PAGE right to the select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Cursor to "GK SETTING," and then press ENTER.

4. Press PAGE left or right to the VEL (for "velocity") tab.

5. Cursor to one of the velocity parameters: Velocity Dynamics, Play Feel, Low Velocity Cut.

6. Turn the dial to adjust the value as desired.

Default settings:

Velocity Dynamics—5
    Play Feel—3
    Low Velocity Cut—5

For piezo pickup systems:

Godin SG

Velocity Dynamics—1
    Play Feel—1
    Low Velocity Cut—8

Godin LGXT

Velocity Dynamics—3
    Play Feel—2
    Low Velocity Cut—7

Brian Moore

Velocity Dynamics—2
    Play Feel—2
    Low Velocity Cut—8

Additional details regarding setting sensitivity and velocity parameters are listed on pages 10 and 75 in the GR-55 Owner's Manual.

The GR-55 Owner's Manual can be downloaded from our website for free at:

--
User Parameters not Saving within a Patch

Some of the factory Preset patches in the GR-55 have the CTL pedal and/or EXP SW assigned to control various functions, for example, the PCM Tone On/Off switch.

An assignment of this nature can make it appear that User parameters are not being stored in a patch. To turn off the pre-assigned CTL and/or EXP SW functions, follow these steps.

1. Select the desired User patch.

3. Press PAGE left or right to select the MASTER tab, and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor left to "PEDAL/GK CTL," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor down to "CTL FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

6. Press PAGE right to select the EXP SW tab.

7. Cursor down to "EXP SW FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

8. Save this new setting into the patch by pressing WRITE twice.

Note: Some patches may also contain assignments in the ASSIGN section that can effect custom stored parameters. If the above steps don't help with your patch, go to the ASSIGN menu, turn off each assignment in the patch, and then save the settings.

--
GR-55 Specifications

The following are specifications for the GR-55:

Sound Generator
PCM: 2 tones
Modeling: 1 tone

Tones
PCM: 910 types
Modeling: 23 types (guitar mode)
17 types (bass mode)

Effects
MFX (Multi-Effects): 20 types
AMP (Preamp): 42 types
MOD (Modulation): 14 types
DELAY: 7 types
REVERB: 5 types
CHORUS: 4 types
EQ: 1 type

Patch Memory
Guitar mode
Preset: 270 + User: 297
Bass mode
Preset: 90 + User: 297

AD Conversion
24-bit (GK Pickup)
24-bit + AF method ** (Normal Pickup)
DA Conversion
24-bit
Sampling Frequency
44.1 kHz

Nominal Output Level
OUTPUT jacks: -10 dBu
GUITAR OUT jack: -10 dBu

Output Impedance
OUTPUT jacks: 2 k ohms
GUITAR OUT jack: 2 k ohms

USB Memory Audio Player
File Format: WAV, AIFF

Display
Graphic LCD 240 x 64 dots

Connectors
GK IN connector (13 pins DIN type)
GUITAR OUT jack (1/4-inch phone type)
OUTPUT L/MONO, R jacks (1/4-inch phone type)
PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
MIDI connectors (IN, OUT) (5-pin DIN type)
USB COMPUTER connector (supports Hi-Speed USB, USB MIDI and
USB Audio)
USB MEMORY connector (supports Hi-Speed USB Flash Memory)
DC IN jack

Power Supply
DC 9 V
Current Draw
700 mA

Accessories
AC adaptor
Owner's manual
Divided pickup - GK-3 (only for GK included model)
GK cable (5 m) (only for GK included model)

Options (sold separately)
Divided pickup: GK-3 (for guitar), GK-3B (for bass guitar)
GK cable: GKC-5 (5 m), GKC-10 (10 m)
MIDI foot controller: FC-300
Unit selector: US-20

Size and Weight
Width
405 mm
(16 inches)

Depth
244 mm
(9-5/8 inches)

Height
78 mm
(3-1/8 inches)

Weight
3.3 kg
(7 lbs. 5 oz.)

Maximum height: 106 mm 4-3/16 inches (When the expression pedal is moved to the minimum)

* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms

** AF (Adaptive Focus) method is a proprietary method from Roland

In the interest of product improvement, the specifications and/or appearance of this unit are subject to change without prior notice.

--
Transmitting a MIDI Sustain Message from the CTL Pedal
Knowledge Base ID: 105528
Product: GR-55

It's possible to assign the on-board CTL pedal on the GR-55 to transmit a MIDI sustain message (CC-64). Here's how.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press PAGE right to select the SYSTEM tab, and then press ENTER.

3. Press the cursor left or right buttons to select the MIDI/USB icon, and then press ENTER.

4. Press PAGE left or right to select the GUITAR-MIDI tab.

5. Press cursor up or down to select CTL PDL CC.

6. Turn the dial to select 64.

7. Press EXIT twice when you're finished. The new setting is saved automatically.

Note: By default, the GR-55's MIDI channel is set to channel 1. You will most likely need to match the MIDI channel in the GR-55 with your external device for the sustain message to function properly.

--
Viewing the Current Version (GR-55)
Knowledge Base ID: 105498

Use the following steps to view the current version in the GR-55.

1. Press and hold the PAGE left and PAGE right buttons and turn on the power.

2. The GR-55's current version number will be displayed next to "MAIN."

3. When you're finished, turn off the power.

Caution: Never perform an update if the product is already up-to-date.

--
PC RX (Program Change Receive) Switch
Knowledge Base ID: 105387

If you want the GR-55 to receive MIDI Program Change (PC) messages from an external device, its PC RX switch must be turned on.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right or left PAGE button to select "SYSTEM," and then press ENTER.

3. Press the left or right cursor button to select "MIDI/USB," and then press ENTER.

4. Press PAGE left to select the GENERAL tab.

5. Use the up or down cursor button to select "PC RX SWITCH."

6. Turn the dial to select "ON."

7. Press EXIT twice when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

--
PC TX (Program Change Transmit) Switch
Knowledge Base ID: 105386

If you want to transmit MIDI Program Change (PC) messages to an external device from the GR-55, its PC TX switch must be turned on.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right or left PAGE button to select "SYSTEM," and then press ENTER.

3. Press the left or right cursor buttons to select "MIDI/USB," and then press ENTER.

4. Press PAGE left to select the GENERAL tab.

5. Use the up or down cursor buttons to select "PC TX SWITCH."

6. Turn the dial to select "ON."

7. Press EXIT twice when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

--
Factory Reset (Initialize)
Knowledge Base ID: 105348

Use the following procedure to clear the GR-55's internal memory and reload its factory settings.

Caution: All User information is lost during a Factory Reset. Be sure to first back up anything you wish to keep before proceeding.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Cursor to "BACKUP/INIT," and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor to "FACTORY RESET," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor to "OK," and then press ENTER—"FACTORY RESET..." appears in the display.

6. When "PLEASE RESTART" appears, turn the GR-55's power off and back on.

--
To Send MIDI Notes from the GR-55
Knowledge Base ID: 105346

By default, the GR-55's Guitar-MIDI switch is turned off. To send MIDI notes from the GR-55's USB port or MIDI output, this switch must be turned on.
Here's how to do this.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to the select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "MIDI/USB," and then press ENTER.

4. Use the PAGE buttons to display the GTR-MIDI tab.

5. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "SWITCH."

6. Turn the dial clockwise to select "ON."

7. Press EXIT when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

--
Changing the GK Pickup Direction
Knowledge Base ID: 105330
Product: GR-55, GR-55S

Depending on how you've mounted the GK pickup on your guitar, you need to adjust the Pickup(PU) Direction parameter so the GR-55 can function properly. Here's how.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press PAGE right to select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Press ENTER.

4. Press the cursor left button to select the "GK SETTING" icon and then press ENTER.

5. Press PAGE left to select the "PU" tab.

6. Cursor to "PU DIRECTION" and then turn the Value dial to select "NORMAL" or "REVERSE."

If the GK pickup is mounted with the cable lead extending near the low E string, choose "NORMAL." This is the default setting.
    If the GK is mounted with the cable extending from the high E string, choose "REVERSE."

7. Press EXIT when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

--
Using the GR-55 with the BK-7M (Setup)
Knowledge Base ID: 105554
Product: GR-55, BK-7M

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1141

It's possible to use the GR-55 as a "controller" for the BK-7M. Here's how to setup the two devices.

1. Turn on the power for the GR-55.

2. Press EDIT.

3. Press the PAGE right button to select the SYSTEM tab.

4. Press cursor left or right to select the MIDI/USB icon and then press ENTER.

5. Press PAGE left or right to select the GUITAR-MIDI tab.

6. Press cursor up to select "SWITCH."

7. Turn the dial to choose "ON." This turns on the Guitar to MIDI feature.

8. Press cursor down to select MODE, and then turn the dial to select "POLY."

9. Turn on the BK-7M's power.

10. With a MIDI cable, connect the MIDI OUT of the GR-55 to the MIDI IN of the BK-7M.

11. On the BK-7M, press MENU.

12. Turn the dial clockwise to select "Wizard Connection."

13. Press the dial.

14. Turn the dial to select "GUITAR."

15. Press the dial - "Play a guitar string" appears in the display.

16. Play a string on the guitar - "Wizard Settings will be saved" appears.

17. Press the dial to save the new setting.

The GR-55 is now setup to change the chords in the BK-7M. Try it out:

1. On the BK-7M, press a desired RHYTHM FAMILY button to select a music style.

2. Press the START/STOP button to begin playback.

3. Play desired chords on the guitar. As you're playing, the chord appears in the BK-7M's display.

Note: When triggering the BK-7M with the GR-55, many factors can effect the performance of the chord changes. If you experience inconsistencies, try experimenting with different sensitivity values for the stings as well as working with the Velocity Parameters in the GR-55. In the end, your playing technique is crucial for optimum performance.

--
Recommended Power Supply
Knowledge Base ID: 105313
Product: GR-55, GR-55S

The following is the recommended power supply for the GR-55:

Roland PSB-1U
    http://shop.rolandus.com/home/index/614.0

Caution: The use of any other power supply can cause malfunctions and/or permanent damage to the product.

--
Auditioning PCM Tones Within a Patch
Knowledge Base ID: 105311

Within each patch in the GR-55, you can have up to two PCM tones turned on simultaneously, each of which can be assigned to a string as desired. There are 910 different PCM tones to choose from in the GR-55. Follow these steps to audition them.

For this example we'll use the patch LEAD 02-2 Flute Solo.

1. Press the LEAD button.

2. Turn the dial to select "02-2 Flute Solo."

3. Press EDIT.

4. Press PAGE left repeatedly to select the TONE tab.

5. Press the left or right arrow buttons to highlight "PCM1 :393 Flute 1."

6. Turn the dial to scroll through the different tones. As we mentioned earlier, there are a whopping 910 of them to choose from!

7. When you're finished, press EXIT.

Tip: A detailed GR-55 PCM tone list is available for download from our website here:

--
Selecting Patches
Knowledge Base ID: 105310

A patch is a collection of effects, tones, and settings stored into one location. In Guitar mode, the GR-55 has 270 Preset and 297 User patches. In Bass mode, there are 90 Preset and 297 User patches.

To select a patch, press one of the SOUND STYLE buttons—LEAD, RHYTHM, OTHER, or USER—and then turn the dial to select a patch in that category.

--

Elantric

Quote"* For the lowest latency when triggering external Soft synths with the GR-55, avoid using the GR-55's USB Driver and USB cable. Instead, use a 5 pin DIN MIDI cable from GR-55 MIDI Out to an external MIDI adapter. all agree that using this type hardware setup will deliver the lowest latency."

Due to many variables, I believe the jury is still out on the best  / lowest latency method for connecting the GR-55 to your computer to drive soft synths.

If its a Mac you are using - avoid OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion if you can.
(Details here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6678.0

But if your iMac is running OSX 10.7 Lion, the Roland GR-55 USB driver works well.

Many Mac folks running OSX 10.5 thru 10.7 report good results using the Roland GR-55 USB Driver for your version OSX and a good USB cable with RF rejection Ferrite cores to a USB 2.0 port on your Mac.

http://www.pccables.com/70509.html

But some systems (not all) do get sluggish and even make the GR-55 Controls run slow after a USB connection is made to a Computer.
A separate Audio / MIDI Interface will typically always be preferred.

If you want a recommendation for a low latency MIDI Interface -the iConnectivity iConnect MIDi is good
http://iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI-Overview

Also the MOTU 828MKIII with a Firewire connection is good too

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828mk3/

So I will re-phrase that statement to:

"* For the lowest latency when triggering external Soft synths with the GR-55, many factors are involved and other options exist beyond simply using the GR-55's USB Driver and USB cable.
Instead, try a 5 pin DIN MIDI cable from GR-55 MIDI Out to an external MIDI adapter. "

angelreagan

Quote from: ddlooping on March 20, 2011, 11:47:39 AM

Assign both the AMP Gain and Level to the GK volume (to be able to clean up your sound without losing too much volume)
example: Gain decreases and Level increases when you turn the volume down

Hello, I am having a little trouble assigning this particular parameter on the GK volume knob, could you please explain this a little bit more thoroughly as you explained how to assign the two different guitar tones and pickups to the GK1 and GK2 switches?

Thanks a lot.

Elantric

Obtain separate sounds per string

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7459.msg52112#msg52112

Yes this is possible.....Go to the patch, press EDIT > curser down and highlight PCM 1 that you use for strings and press ENTER > scroll down to STRING LEVEL (1 thru 6) and set the string levels for each string. I think for what you want, set strings 1,2,and3, to 100, then the rest to 0. For the bass (MODELING) you would do the same but reversed, strings 1,2,and 3 set to 0, and 4,5,and 6 to 100. PCM 1, PCM 2, and MODEL, can all be set up this way or any combination there of. You will need to check PCM 2 in that patch and see what the string levels are set at and adjust to suit your needs. Hope this gets you there. If not, check back and we'll get more detailed if we need to.

GR-Patch writing problems / Control Assignment Conflicts

Some of the factory Preset patches in the GR-55 have the CTL pedal and/or EXP SW assigned to control various functions, for example, the PCM Tone On/Off switch.

An assignment of this nature can make it appear that User parameters are not being stored in a patch. To turn off the pre-assigned CTL and/or EXP SW functions, follow these steps.

1. Select the desired User patch.

3. Press PAGE left or right to select the MASTER tab, and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor left to "PEDAL/GK CTL," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor down to "CTL FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

6. Press PAGE right to select the EXP SW tab.

7. Cursor down to "EXP SW FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

8. Save this new setting into the patch by pressing WRITE twice.

Note: Some patches may also contain assignments in the ASSIGN section that can effect custom stored parameters. If the above steps don't help with your patch, go to the ASSIGN menu, turn off each assignment in the patch, and then save the settings