FTP - Legato is played as PB data or do I have a config problem ?

Started by shredingskin, November 21, 2013, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shredingskin

This may be a basic question, but here I go. I use TP in hardware mode (and process data on max 6), it's kind of offputing that legato is played as pitchbend because the hammer and pull-off sound more like triggers than a smooth bending.

Is there a way to change this behaviour ?

shawnb

Yes, legato is played as a pitch bend - that is how they avoid a new trigger & provide a smoother note change.  You don't want it to trigger, right? 

I don't know of ways to change this behavior - I believe it's desired. 

One thing I've noticed is that if legato isn't acting the way you think it should, sometimes that means your PBR (pitch bend range) on your synth doesn't match the setting on your TP.  If they're not aligned, legato & bends don't work well at all. 

I'd also experiment with different dynamics settings, including the pick/fingerstyle setting (whether you play pick or fingerstyle...), until it behaves the way you want it to. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shredingskin

Quote from: shawnb on November 21, 2013, 01:44:21 PM
Yes, legato is played as a pitch bend - that is how they avoid a new trigger & provide a smoother note change.  You don't want it to trigger, right? 

I don't know of ways to change this behavior - I believe it's desired. 

One thing I've noticed is that if legato isn't acting the way you think it should, sometimes that means your PBR (pitch bend range) on your synth doesn't match the setting on your TP.  If they're not aligned, legato & bends don't work well at all.

Actually I want to trigger, I tend to do some legato runs or mix legato with picking, and I don't feel the PB "sounds" like legato for my type of playing. Specially for tapping, as is one continous PB kinda defeats the tapping percusive nature.

I mostly use TP in trigger mode.

Maybe I have to adjust to the taste of PB legato and play legato/tapping only when I want that bending effect (or just stick to trigger).