GR-55 - REQ - Yes Owner of a Lonely Heart sounds..

Started by turenko, July 01, 2011, 06:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turenko

does anyone have worked on a patch to cover YES - Owner of  Lonely Heart? any ideas to build this patch?

br,

Ricardo
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13
KRAMER Richie Sambora 1989 with gk-3
Squier Japan 1989 with Gk-2
Takamine EF 291M(E) with Gk-3

paults

I looked online, and it is allegedly parallel fifths (as opposed to intelligent fifths harmony), so the GR55 should be able to do it without a problem.

Try using the 12 string function, with the extra strings at +7 (seven half steps equals a fifth).  Use an amp setting with a little bit of breakup, and typical '80s chorus/delay. 

Set up a dual assignment for the CTL pedal:

When the pedal is off, the chorus effect is ON, and the 12 string function is OFF.

When you press on the CTL pedal for the solo, it turns the chorus effect OFF, and the 12 string parallel fifths ON.

Here's a YouTube video with someone who knows exactly how to play it ;)

"How to play Yes' Owner of a Lonely Heart Solo"
How to play Yes' Owner of a Lonely Heart Solo

turenko

hey! thanks a lot paults!! when i finish i will post something with the patch!

regards from Brazil
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13
KRAMER Richie Sambora 1989 with gk-3
Squier Japan 1989 with Gk-2
Takamine EF 291M(E) with Gk-3

platypibri

Tom Kolb has always had the worst hair cut in rock.

papabuss

I had (have) a good patch  for the Guitar Intro on one of my first Boss/Roland multi-effect 'machines' :Boss GS10.
http://www.rolandmusik.de/produkte/GS-10/index.php
A good VG or GR patch is not in this forum by now.....
If you want to 'nail'  the sound the Pitch Shifter (5th) settings are very imprtant... ;)

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

billbax

Hi Papabuss,

I have the orginal Rabin demo from 1982.  It's a lot more AOR than the original and sounds like a heavy-handed Frankenstein Boston.  I knew Rabin's manager quite well back then.  I was even asked to do a demo song from the orginal demo tape, 'Girl it ain't easy'. I remember my version and the original sounding like ten sugars in tea - Reo Sweedwagon springs to mind. A Bloody awful and wretched tune me remembers - some people just don't know how to rock.

For this patch and back to the subject, all you need is 3-4 consecutive fifths, overdriven pre-amp/cab, and gated reverb - done.

I remember thinking at the time in '83, this was an expressive monster guitar sound, and few years later I created a heavier sound with only a few Roland floor pedals.  By today's standards, 'Owner of a lonely heart' sounds quite tame.

Anyone up for the original demo download?

Bill

whippinpost91850

billbax

whippinpost91850,

Give us 24 hours or so.  Send you a pm.

Bill

Elantric

the original demo - I agree  sounds like a heavy-handed Frankenstein Boston.

http://youtu.be/-1xymiwkLRA

a live version with Yes in '91
07 Owner Of A Lonely Heart

billbax

Hi whippinpost91850,

Elantric beat me to it. That's pretty much the demo cassette I have, although there are a few arrangement and lyric differences. 

The demo was apparently recorded on an old trusty Teac 3440S and his manager told me Rabin played everything.  Rabin is another musician who should take a job as a part-time butcher !

See you,

Bill

Elantric

QuoteRabin is another musician who should take a job as a part-time butcher !

An efficient one at that, which makes him perfect for corporate media conglomerates
but hey one man's butcher is another man's virtuoso
He enjoys steady employment playing guitar (which is more than i can say for myself)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Rabin
Trevor Rabin has scored over three dozen films which include: Bad Company, Con Air, Homegrown, Armageddon, Jack Frost (in which Rabin appeared onscreen in two scenes), Deep Blue Sea, Gone in 60 Seconds, Remember the Titans, The 6th Day, The Banger Sisters, Kangaroo Jack, Bad Boys II, The Great Raid, Exorcist: The Beginning, National Treasure, Coach Carter, Glory Road, Snakes on a Plane, The Glimmer Man, Flyboys, Gridiron Gang, Hot Rod, The Guardian, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Get Smart, Race to Witch Mountain, 12 Rounds, G-Force, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice

QuoteAs of mid-2011, Rabin is collaborating with Anderson and Wakeman on a new Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin album, and likely some concerts in 2012. They're writing music, and Wakeman said he hopes the album is completed by the end of 2011. The trio unsuccessfully attempted to recruit Bill Bruford to drum on the album
Its a small world - as Jon Anderson currently resides in my town. He once played percussion for my surf band at a art gallery, friendly guy actually.

billbax

Hi Elantric,

The 'butcher' remark is because he's a very very good all round musician, and a sour grapes musician like me might jokingly want it to go wrong ;D  You had probably clocked it anyway.

I have actually played his decorated guitar I believe. His mate Selwyn Snchieder had it in London back in the early 80s. Don't know, maybe he has two.

Bill

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

Thanks to both of you .I'm gonna watch and listen now. Paul

whippinpost91850

Just watched and listened to both. Have to agree the demo is rather odd even though you can find the gist of the final version. The live version was excellent. Thanks again

papabuss

Quote from: turenko on July 01, 2011, 06:56:17 PM
does anyone have worked on a patch to cover YES - Owner of  Lonely Heart? any ideas to build this patch?
Hi Ricardo, I found this very interesting document with lots of tipps for ampsettings, effects and a nice TAB.

P.S.: If anyone is interested in the 'keyboard-smash-sound' let me know...

Elantric

P.S.: If anyone is interested in the 'keyboard-smash-sound' let me know...

Sure  - post an example here.

papabuss

Will be here tomorrow afternoon (German time)... :)

Toby Krebs

Trevor Rabin is a great player and does marvelous film scoring. When he made those records with YES they were pretty much done as a band and playing 20 minute long self indulgent tunes was not gaining them any more listeners. I have lately been listening to some of that stuff and watching some videos of him live. Not bad by todays standards. More chops than John Mayer and Slash both of whom I think are okay. No he is not Vernon Reid or Bill Frisell etc... but he certainly did some cool guitar stuff at the time. Also a decent vocalist and arranger. Listen to the beautiful compressed fills he plays on "Changes" from that record along with all the other tones and things he does. He also did not have all the tech we have now. He had to do it with real amps and his hands. The guy works hard no doubt about it.I have seen Slash/Prince/ and a bunch of other modern day popular players "phone" it in. Yes still plays Owner Of A Lonely Heart live acoustically with Steve Howe looking pretty miserable. He should be thankful. That song gave them another long run of success.

Bill Ruppert

Trevor Rabin is a genius.
I can only wish I could play and arrange like that.

Wow have people gotten blase!

aliensporebomb

Anyone who likes Rabin MUST hear this piece:

Trevor Rabin - Anerley Road

Brilliant!  And he plays piano as nicely as the guitar in my opinion.  "He's got skills."
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

papabuss

Quote from: Elantric on September 24, 2013, 01:38:00 PM
Sure  - post an example here.

Here it is. I made it just for fun. You hear the sound in the live video posted by Elantric at about 3:20.
The gl5 file sounds better than my mp3 recording software....

papabuss

But (perhaps more important) has anybody come close to Trevor's guitar settings by now?
I have worked around (I think I got one with the 5th pitch settings ;)) but haven't yet  included all the tipps  from  my posted  pdf-file above.

Toby Krebs

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 24, 2013, 07:30:27 PM
Anyone who likes Rabin MUST hear this piece:

Trevor Rabin - Anerley Road

Brilliant!  And he plays piano as nicely as the guitar in my opinion.  "He's got skills."

He is so good it's ridiculous. Beautiful piece of GUITAR MUSIC! I watched Steve Vai recently and he was disappointing. Making a lot of microtonal screeching noise for far too long. A little of that is cool but you have to bring the listener home with something pleasant once in a while. Rabin is a MASTER!!! He conducts the orchestra when he does a film score unlike a guy like Danny Elfman who hires some one else to do it and has chosen as talented as he is to remain musicall illiterate.

Okay I'm Done!!