VG-99 - Importing SMF midi patch files into librarian .....

Started by s0c9, March 02, 2008, 02:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s0c9

I'm backing up everything using the librarian....

I could go on vacation waiting for this thing to load data from the VG-99 !!
I suppose its a plus that at least its available....

s0c9

I've been trying to send some of the [midi] patches that I downloaded from here to the VG99.
Import in the librarian does not seem to do anything... doesn't overlay, or least show it is...

so... how does this work.. I'm frustrated...

TIA,
Steve

Elantric

Must import into the editor - not the librarian.

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

s0c9

OTOH - it gets 1/2 way thru reading the data and then craps outs with a "Can't connect to VG-99" message !!
AAARRRGGHHHH !!!     >:(

Elantric

Whats your PC type?

What OS?

You do know you should NOT use the CDROM that came in the box - and must download the latest greatest versions of the Driver and Editor / Librarian.

s0c9

That makes perfect sense... and I tried it and it worked OK.
But the reason I went to the Librarian in the 1st place was 'cus I got an "Invalid file format" error when trying to import an SMF in the Editor.. go figure ! Must have been something weird ?@!#%

Anyways, thanks !
-Steve

Elantric

The Moby Dick patch had real problems - should be corrected now

s0c9

Think I fixed my own problem.... again !!   ;D

Was using standard  USB/Midi hookup... USB on PC, MIDI ID/OUT on VG-99.
That's what was slow and kept dying.

Installed the latest Roland USB Drivers for XP [not previously installed], selected "VG-99 CONTROL" as Input and Output "MIDI ports" on Librarian setup, set Drop-down to Patches, clicked "READ ALL" and tada!!  Completed in about 2 mins...

I'm good to go...
I would not have thought the MIDI route would have had so many issues... Other MIDI gear I have literally FLIES !!
You live and learn...

Elantric

Lets get this straight

So you were:

A) Using an external USB MIDI Interface to connect to the VG-99??

or

B) Using the wrong VG-99 MIDI Driver (there are two)?

s0c9

Quote from: sustainiac on March 03, 2008, 03:55:00 PM
Lets get this straight

So you were:

A) Using an external USB MIDI Interface to connect to the VG-99??

A above... yup, was using a UNO Midisport that I use with most of my other midi stuff - seems to be the only one that works with them all.. so-o-o .. figured it should work with the VG99 too  LOL

PS: Some of that other stuff is Roland [XP50 and GR33 synths].

Elantric

Its true - Using a typical MIDI interface to connect the VG-99 will restrict you to 31.25k baud rate - extremely slow!

I hope no one else is making the assumption they need a MIDI interface for the VG-99.

The only place a MIDI interface is mentioned in the VG-99 documentation is during the Firmware update - but even that is not needed.

s0c9

I hope no-one is either !!

I learnt the hard way...  :-[

A2theT

Ya well USB connectivity is also relatively slow IMO.
Should be lightning fast....
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars