GR-55 - Power point Guitar effects setup

Started by Jim Wintringham, April 09, 2013, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Wintringham

Well, this my first attempt to cover a limited topic with Power Point. The purpose of this file is to help understand where all the options are. Please feel free to point out any errors or omissions, so I can improve the file :)
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

Elantric

Good Job Jim,
Since we talk about several different Roland guitar processors, I renamed the PDF download doc to:

"GR-55_Guitar_setup.pdf"

And I will upload a copy to the GR-55 Documents Downloads area too
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

Fusion

Having the floorboard graphic software makes the screen editor at best a backup tweak access. I doubt if I would have kept the unit or had been able to spend so much effort in developing patches without it. Saved the day for me.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Jim Wintringham

I also like the Floorboard editor program, I started out doing 'manual' edits ( the idea behind the PowerPoint ).  I do a lot of tweaking to settings during sound checks.....so I also like to be familiar the right buttons to push on the GR55, but in making patches...the Floorboard is a great tool. Thankful for all the work that is put into that software. :)
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

Fusion

Puzzling as to why a 3rd party genius had to come up with the editor software while Roland seems to not care.
If left up to the unit screen editing I probably would not have a fraction of the patches I created much less more involved tone switching and assigns which are just confusing on the unit's editor. There is a range of videos on YT showing how to find and do various edit screens as well if anyone is looking for more info.
I doubt if I would have kept the unit without the use of the Roland Library and Floorboard editor software.
I am wondering what Roland has on the bench after the 55 and their development of the synth. One hopes coming this far they do not go off on a tangent.
The 55 is light years ahead of some of the early attempts at guitar synth technology. Definitely not a tool for the dense minded player.

I tried to attach an Excel file I use for patch name list but the format would not attach upload on the site.
I copy the patch list from the Library or Floorboard copy and paste into the form and it makes a nice sheet list to easily locate your patches or arrange them better.
If anyone knows how to bring this in, let me know.

Elantric

QuotePuzzling as to why a 3rd party genius had to come up with the editor software while Roland seems to not care.

The reason the Roland GR-55 shipped from Roland without an Editor is  all explained at the 2011 Winter NAMM show  by Peter S, the Roland US Guitar Product  Manager

At 4:45minutes

Elantric: Will there be an Editor?

Peter S: No:

Elantric: (&*^%)  ?

Peter S: Sorry  - live with it. -I don't mean to be blunt but  creating Editing Software on our side frankly is a Huge, Huge endeavor! 

Elantric: I know, but maybe we can hire a Grad School Student to do it?

Peter S: I'll leave it to you ( and VGuitarforums)  - If you choose to (pursue this),  let me know

Elantric: If you get me the full GR-55 MIDI Spec  - (in the words of Star Trek II's Captain Jean Luc Picard)  " I'll Make it So!"

Peter S: Anything is possible!

Luckily veteran Boss GT Programmer / Bass player  Colin from New Zealand created

* Gumtowns shareware GR-55 Floorboard Editor: (essential)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

concordal

Quote from: Fusion on February 06, 2015, 02:48:43 PM
I tried to attach an Excel file I use for patch name list but the format would not attach upload on the site.  . . .  If anyone knows how to bring this in, let me know.

Click on the Browse button underneath Attach: near bottom of posting screen.
Then navigate to your XLS file.

=========
"Allowed file types: png, gif, pdf, zip, doc, jpg, mp3, mov, mp4, flv, g9l, g9e, mid, syx, hqx, sit, dmg, rtf, gz, rar, doc, xls, txt, b9l, b9e, g5l, g5e, touchosc, whd, bnk, h5e, h5x, vxf, vwm, bin, bun, vwb, l6c, tbms, tsl, tpat, gxg, gxb, gcl, gte"

Fusion

When I attached the file it rejected it as wrong format, the Excel file seems to be an ".xlsx" type it does not like.

MikeTranch

I think Excel will let you "save as" and choose XLS format 

Elantric

Or if using Windows,  Just make a Zip file of your *.xlsx file

But most versions of Excel ( or MS Office clones) will let you "Save As" *.XLS ( MS Excel 2003) format

Fusion

Cool I will try and it see if I cannot pass this onto you chaps. I find it essential for having a list of my patches on a clipboard and my studio wall near my boards.
You just copy the patch list using the Floorboard or the Library software, copy and paste your names into the slots. You can do an entire column range at one time. I have the Excel set to have spaces in between each bank small and I have borders. I tend to leave INIT patches blank so I can write something new in there and add it in later.
Yep that was the deal XLS is pre 2003 and mine is more recent version.
See if this works for any of you. I find I have to have it to find things.

Elantric

Fusion

Great I finally contributed something on paper. I plan to upload some of my patches some of you guys might find rather cool to try or alter them to suit your thing.
I have several L4 and 335 Jazz things with various switches of Reverse Cymbal(which is amazing for Jazz), Brush Kit, Xylophone, Scat voices, Rain, Thunder and atmospheric stuff which just make for a hoot to play, like a rainy day in a coffee shop playing Jazz runs. Very fun. I find the L4 and 335 COSM just fantastic to play. Never knew those guitars could be so much fun. Opened my horizons to more real Jazz material. You could entertain a small club with some of these and people would marvel at the rain and thunder in the background. Guys try that Reverse Cymbal, bloody marvelous.