Guitar Amp for Roland Gr-20 and Boss GT-8

Started by godinxtsa, April 24, 2014, 11:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godinxtsa

Hi Guys,

New to here - only just registered. I was hoping for some advice on an Amp for my set-up:

Godin xtSA electric guitar (electric and 13-pin Roland Synth connection)
BOSS GT-8 MFX
Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth

I know the best advice would most likely be to have a separate amp for each but I'm not in a position to do that at the moment (cost and space!)
I have read a few things here that suggest running a GR-20 through the auxiliary connection of the amp so the preamp does not 'colour' the synth tones. The guitar tone would then come from the amps preamp modelling section.

The Roland Cube 80-XL was recommended by many and this seemed to be a good choice except for one thing: My BOSS GT-8.
The problem with the Roland Cube 80-XL is that there is no effects send and return.

I would like (if possible) to have an amp that will me to use the amps own clean and distorted/modelled channels and also use the BOSS GT-8 in the 4 cable method so that I can add effects before (distortion etc) and after (delay, chorus) the pre-amp section.
I would then also want to run my Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth through the auxiliary of the same amp.

I thought i had a found a good affordable amp to do all this in the Fender Champion 100. However, one user review (on Musician's Friend) said that a design flaw resulted in any effects through the send and return FX loop also are applied to the auxiliary! Which obviously wouldn't work for me at all!

So I'm back to square 1  The Roland Cube 80-XL has no FX loop and the Fender Champion 100 apparently has issues with Loop FX and auxiliary.

I know its a big ask for 1 affordable but good quality solid-state amp to do all this but I'm hoping that you guys might have some ideas!

Price range would be approx €300 to €400 at most and would need 80 to 100 watts for medium sized room gigging.

Thanks in advance for any help!

datsunrobbie

I'll recommend checking out a Roland VGA-7. It has the effects loop for the GR-20 to plug into, normal input for the GT-8, and most of a VG-8 built in. Guitar Center has a few used ones on hand in your price range. The only thing I don't love about this amp is it weighs 85 pounds.

godinxtsa

Hi datsunrobbie!  Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like could be a good option but I can't get the VGA-7 over here in Ireland.

The search goes on!

Or, what about the Roland GA-112 amp? 100 watts, effects loop and lots of headroom.
However, I'm not sure if it has the auxiliary connection I would need for the synth.
Is has 2 'main in' inputs on back of the amp but I'm not sure what these do!?!?!
would this work like a flat response auxiliary bypassing the preamp? Would the GA-112 have similar flat response like the Cube 80 reports to have?

Thanks!

godinxtsa

Hi,

Decided to go with the Roland Cube 80xl after all!

To be honest, the reviews on here made it impossible to ignore for quality, versatility, sound etc...

I realised I don't really need an FX loop as Most effects I use can be put before the amp's preamp (i.e. Distortion, wah, overdrive) and I can use the Cube's own chorus and delay with the use of the BOSS fs-6.
I can then also use this for the amp's inbuilt looper!

Will then run my Roland GR-20 into the auxiliary input (as Elantric and others suggest in other threads) and I'm good to go!!!

Seriously, where has this forum been all my life!  ;D