2013 Gibson SG with Tronical Min-Etune Closeouts.

Started by Elantric, December 28, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

I'm really pleased as well with my 2012 60s tribute w robetune, as well

thebrushwithin

Elantric, how well is the Stetsbar working on your SG? I am considering a Fretlight strat and adding a Stetsbar. Thanks!

Elantric

I'm on the fence with the stetsbar.

* It impacts the tone and sustain in a negative manner.

* Its almost "too fiddly" with a too easy to use  / zero feedback torque whammy arm.

It typically makes the bridge sit too tall off the front of the guitar, and requires much work to get the action set correctly.

I Think I will remove it, and use a Les Trem instead. I have a Les Trem on a ES335 copy and it works very well.

Although the  Les Trem's seem to have gone up in price in the past 7 years ( I paid $85 for mine back 2008)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ABM-5600-C-Les-Tremolo-For-Gibson-Tailpiece-CHROME-/390363791622

Re the Fretlight Strat - Mine is a nice departure being a hard tail non tremolo Strat - I get a lot of nice sustain and better tone with my stock hardtail Fretlight FG-421 Strat 

http://www.amazon.com/CLOSEOUT-Fretlight-FG-421-Electric-Software/dp/B00I5079BA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1399916770&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fretlight

Elantric

I just ordered a 2nd Les Trem II for my 2013 Gibson SG - (removing the rejected Stetsbar which is just too fiddly, and looses too much sustain of the guitar) 
Duesenberg Les Trem II
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=eng&product=3667C%2F3667G

Nickel is always my #1 choice - this is the same finish used on most pre 1966 USA guitars and holds up best in the long run.

I have replaced the stock Spring in the Duesenberg Les Trem II with a "Stiff Spring from a GFS X-Trem, and finally this guitar is working well - even with the Tronical Tune auto tuners

Elantric

mbenigni

QuoteGibson SG Tribute 60's Min-ETune Guitar Heritage Cherry Vintage Gloss $781

Of course the black one is $300 more expensive.  Thank you, Tony Iommi.  :D

Elantric

Just sit and wait

in 2013, I went for a Black (Ebony) color, with the 1950's fat neck profile when they were $645 on Dec 26.
Amazon Prices fluctuate a lot, I purchased mine at $645, 30 seconds later it jumped up to $819

Elantric

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on September 17, 2014, 11:50:37 AM
In 2013, I went for a Black (Ebony) color, with the 1950's fat neck profile when they were $645 on Dec 26.

I'm not really in the market for an SG, but $645... wow!

I don't really get excited about Gibson solid bodies, partly because I don't like tune-o-matic bridges much, partly because I don't like the look or the ergonomics of the bodies.  (The semi-hollows and jazzboxes are a different story.)  Two of my favorite players - Tony Iommi and Robert Fripp - are strongly identified with the SG and Les Paul, respectively, but somehow I'm a strat/superstrat* guy at heart.  Maybe because I "grew up" through the shredfest of the late 80's.

*Personally, I consider a Parker Fly to be the super-est of all super-strats, though some might consider this a stretch.

Elantric

For me i grew up playing Gibsons.

I play faster runs on any Gibson due to the tighter "E to "E" string to string spacing on Gibson T.O.M Bridge
Gibson Tuno-O-Matic (E to "E" string spacing) = 2.0625 inches (52.45mm)

vs
Fender USA Strat (E to "E" string spacing) = 2.21875 inches (56.35625mm)
the nearly 1/4" inch additional string distance on a USA Strat makes for a  longer stretch when cross-picking
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8612.msg61772#msg61772

And the Gibson 24 3/4" scale length  (3/4" inch shorter than a Fender 25.5" scale length)  - and 12" inch Fretboard radius ( vs 7.5" inch for a Vintage Strat)  provides much easier string bending too.   

mbenigni

QuoteAnd the Gibson 24 3/4" scale length  (3/4" inch shorter than a Fender 25.5" scale length)  - and 12" inch Fretboard radius ( vs 7.5" inch for a Vintage Strat)  provides much easier string bending too.
Yes, and I suppose in theory the 24 3/4" scale length would make it easier to reach extended intervals.

I've gone back and forth on fingerboard radius over the years, between shredders and Parkers with relatively flat boards, and strats with a smaller radius.  All things being equal I prefer a 12" radius (or a compound radius) but a vintage strat feels comfortable too.  It's just a matter of familiarity, I guess.  (My first guitar was a P.O.S. $100 Memphis strat clone, chosen pretty much at random over their "Les Paul."  These were my only two options at the time, and I think the Les Paul was $25 more expensive or something like that... and I dug the whammy bar.  :)  Funny how a split decision like that can set you on a course that will last decades.)

Elantric

Yes, and I suppose in theory the 24 3/4" scale length would make it easier to reach extended intervals.

Correct  -this was the main design characteristic of the "short scale" 23 1/2" scale length Gibson Bydland (Billie Byrd / Hank Garland)

http://www.scottymoore.net/55Byrdland.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Byrdland
. Guitarists who had an opportunity to play Gibson samples liked the Byrdland's short scale neck (23½"), which facilitated intricate single-note patterns and unusual stretched chord voicings. The Byrdland then became a regular production instrument.

Its the guitar of choice by Ted Nugent primarily due to the Byrdland's short scale length allows extreme string bending  - a fact overlooked by the current regime at Gibson
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/who-were-billy-byrd-and-hank-garland-0730-2012.aspx

mbenigni

Interesting the Byrdland should come up.  I fell head over heels for an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland a few years ago.  It was prohibitively expensive ($2K used, IIRC) but I was instantly obsessed.  I drove home crunching numbers, got the OK from my wife, drove back... and someone else had already bought it!  In retrospect, probably for the best, but pretty deflating at the time.

When I test drove it, though, I wasn't doing much in the way of string bending or challenging reaches.  It was set up with flatwounds and I was just chopping around on some jazz changes, but wow, what a tone.  Nicest jazz guitar I've ever played by a good margin (and I've had the pleasure of playing some vintage Gibsons worth a whole lot more money.)

mbenigni

P.S.  Thanks for the heads-up re: the Hank Garland film.  I'll have to check that out.

Elantric

Some Gibson News (or nonsense, depending on your perspective)
http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increase-prices-update-models-for-2015
Gibson to Increase Prices, Update Models for 2015
Published Sep 09 by Dan Orkin

Leading up to the release of its 2015 models, the Gibson Guitar Company has planned a series of changes to its guitar lineup including a general price increase across the board. Whereas MAP (manufacturer advertised price) for a 2014 Les Paul Standard with a normal flame top comes in at $2999, the 2015 equivalent will start at $3879, marking a roughly 29% increase.

In addition to the price increase, Gibson will drastically scale back the number of guitar models offered, including the discontinuation of a number finishes and top options on guitars like the Les Paul Standard. Gibson has also announced it will stop producing instruments with the less expensive Satin finish, meaning the end of such sub-$1000 models as the Les Paul Studio Faded.

Other changes include the expansion of the Min-ETune automated tuning system, which will be re-branded as "G-Force," as standard on almost all guitars. In celebration of the 100th birthday of Les Paul himself, all 2015 Les Paul models will feature a swirly "Les Paul 100" headstock logo marking a departure from the traditional Les Paul logo seen on the guitar for decades.

As for actual specs, Gibson is updating the nut to a brass "Zero Fret Nut" and increasing the neck width on most models.

Gibson is, of course, no stranger to changing specs and price increases. This coming update, however, marks what is likely the most drastic change from Gibson USA in recent memory. Here at Reverb, we'll be keenly interested to see how this change impacts the used market. We very well may see an increase in prices on used SG and Les Paul Standards sooner rather than later, and we might also see a rush to swoop up remaining 2014 stock. For now, there are still tons of deals on Gibson guitars to be found throughout Reverb.

The following information was found on a Gibson page on Amazon.com which is no longer active:

"Gibson USA continues to raise the bar of Quality, Prestige and Innovation with the new line up of 2015 guitars. All Gibson USA guitars except for the Les Paul Supreme, Firebird and Derek Trucks SG will ship with the G-Force tuning system. Among many of the added features is the new Zero Fret Nut which is a patented applied for nut that has adjustable action capabilities. The new Tune-O-Matic Bridge features a hex wrench adjustment on thumbscrews for easy action adjustments. All guitars receive a professional set up with accurate intonation, and a new PLEK program with 27% lower fret wire. All models now have Pearloid Inlays and the fingerboard is a thicker one piece rosewood which is sanded and buffed with a new oil treatment for smoother and easier playability. To take it a step further Gibson USA has increased playing comfort by widened the neck and fingerboard by .050 per side. Sparing no expense, Gibson USA even changed the internal wires from 28 awg to 26 awg, along with a new and improved jack design and together they give you an improved uninterrupted signal. For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes. On top of all the upgrades Gibson USA did not stop there. They are now introducing a removable Les Paul pick guard with NO SCREWS NEEDED. In honor of Les Paul's 100th birthday all LP and SG guitars will carry the 100 logo on the headstock and a Les Paul Hologram on the back of the headstock for authenticity and tribute to the man himself. To wrap everything up, each 2015 Gibson USA guitar ships in a Gibson Hard Shell case."

Elantric

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Dont miss this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111684945871

Vintage Mary Ford's / Les Paul's 1961 Gibson SG electric guitar

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on August 13, 2015, 11:20:49 AM
Vintage Mary Ford's / Les Paul's 1961 Gibson SG electric guitar

Any possibility of a group buy?  ;)

Elantric

one possibility is a time share -

If every member pays $10 each,  we can buy Mary Fords 1961 Gibson SG Custom and use it 38 minutes per year, and have enough to fund the installation of a GK-3 hex PU and make it 13 pin "GK" compatible  - to claim it as ours!

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=SgvCiUObj0nVKp0nDum4-lFZlewS5OGTtT1W2fottVnvweDB3WDRnzGW6Ta&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d5c97cbf3d75cb63effe5661cdf3adb6d

mbenigni

Ha!  I think I'd spend that 38 minutes in a sustained panic attack, worried something might happen to it on my watch.

Elantric

QuoteHa!  I think I'd spend that 38 minutes in a sustained panic attack, worried something might happen to it on my watch.

Sounds a bit like me when a had to restring and intonate David Packs '59 LP Standard back in 1982
http://www.davidpack.com/