2013 Gibson SG with Tronical Min-Etune Closeouts.

Started by Elantric, December 28, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I just took delivery of a new 2013 Gibson 50's SG with Min-Etune (thanks to Amazon Prime "free" 2 day shipping )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQS0IA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went for a Black (Ebony) color, with the 1950's fat neck profile when they were $645 on Dec 26.

They have a red one for $615 - which considering the Tronical Tuners go for $329 alone
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TRO-TYPEA-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CLfrpKTM1LsCFcU5Qgod9R0AdA
  - makes this the cheapest new Gibson USA model I have ever seen worth owning.
Typical Amazon  - its important to check prices 4 times a day - I see they are all back up to $819 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-ETune-Heritage-Vintage/dp/B00ATDO8FG/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388268888&sr=1-1&keywords=min-etune

I actually own a real 1961 Gibson SG Special,(now worth $$$ and not worth the risk taking it out to gigs )
This new 2013 Gibson 50's SG with Min-Etune is extremely similar (built Nov 15, 2012 and apparently been sitting in an Amazon warehouse in Phoenix Arizona for the past year)
Long time readers here will know I'm no stranger to Gibson's as I grew up playing Gibsons, (saved up and got my first Gibson at age 15) and it was not until age 19 I ever owned a Fender 

Back in 2009 when I briefly worked in the Gibson Nashville factory,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=23

I was vocal to Gibson management that I felt all the production guitars had a "too slim" neck profile, didn't matter if you ordered a Flying V, Explorer, or Les Paul or SG - They all came with an identical neck profile that was too thin for my taste, (exceptions were the Billie Joe '57 LP Junior (nice fat neck) or the Melody Makers.)  and I told the head designers at Massman Avenue  to head across town to Gruhn's Guitars and measure neck profiles and play real examples of vintage Gibsons, and consider offering a broader range of neck geometries on the regular production line instruments, instead of forcing customers interested in owning an authentic Gibson with an authentic vintage Gibson neck profile to order from the Gibson Custom shop at $10,000 as their only option.

When I was reading about the latest models with Tronical Min-Etune systems, I discovered that much to my amazement, Gibson apparently took my advice - or others must have provided similar feedback to Gibson.
So if you read reviews that say - "Nice Gibson, too bad it has a neck as big as a horse's leg" - you might have me to blame ;)
Meanwhile, for those who are old enough to remember what a real 1950's to early 1960's Gibson feel and play like, I can whole heartily endorse these recent Gibson SG's , choose the model that has the neck profile you prefer -  I prefer Necks that are close to 1 inch thick from 1st fret to 12th fret - like a 'stock '52 Fender Esquire, or stock '54 Les Paul Goldtop.

For example
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQS0IA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gibson SG Tribute 50's Details:
Product Description
Color: Ebony Vintage Gloss | Style: Right Handed
From the Manufacturer
SG 50's Tribute with Min-ETune
A Classic Tribute to the Roots of the SG
A Tribute to the Les Paul that Put Rock into Roll
What do Pete Townshend, Carlos Santana, and Tony Iommi all have in common? Back in the '60s, each of these legendary guitarists played a Gibson SG Special with P-90 pickups--and made music history in the process. To bring this beloved rocker back to guitarists in the 21st century, Gibson USA introduces the SG Special '50s Tribute, a guitar that honors the beloved SG Specials of nearly 50 years ago, in an instrument primed with the tone, versatility, and playability demanded by modern musicians.

Gibson USA is celebrating 2013 as the Year of Les Paul, and is blowing it up big with a new series of decade-dedicated Tribute SGs, each of which honors the artistry and innovation of inventor and guitarist Les Paul by capturing the essence of a great SG equipped with components from one of four different eras. The SG body style was first released in 1961 as a replacement for the original Les Paul, and the new design remained iconic long after the single-cutaway Les Paul returned to the fold later in the decade.
[Trivia: There is an often repeated incorrect story that states that back in late 1961,  Les Paul told Gibson to take his name off the "new improved" thin Gibson guitar that bore his name. This is why in 1962,  Gibson began calling all "bat wing" shaped guitars "SG" (Solid Guitar) and dropped the name "Les Paul" from all instruments. The actual story is that by mid 1961, Les Paul was in the middle of a heated California Divorce from Mary Ford - and Les's attorneys recommended that he lay low for a bit, and lower his projected personal income. So Les contacted Gibson in mid 1961 and asked if Gibson could stop making guitars with his name (and stop the royalty checks for a bit, until after the divorce was final)  the net result lowered his monthly alimony bills to Mary Ford.]
The SG '50s Tribute represents the look, feel, and tone of the set-neck, double-cutaway solidbody as it would have appeared equipped with features of the 1950s. As such, the SG '50s Tribute carries a pair of screaming P-90 pickups, the fat Gibson single-coil that has been beloved for more than six decades, along with the comfortably rounded neck profile characteristic of that decade. Gibson's most acclaimed hardware set improves playability and offers precise tuning and intonation. The SG '50s Tribute looks great in your choice of Heritage Cherry, Vintage Sunburst, or Ebony Black finish, all finished Vintage Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer.

SG 50's Tribute

Crafted in the distinctive, thin asymmetrical dual-cutaway style.

SG 50's Tribute
Traditional back-angled headstock is silkscreened with a gold Gibson and holly logo

Min-ETune

Spend more time playing and less time tuning with the Min-ETune.

Min-ETune is a compact, battery-powered robot tuner that tunes your guitar in seconds--and delivers 80-100 tunings on one charge. Adjust the tuning pegs manually, turn on the Min-ETune to tune all six strings to perfect pitch automatically, or select any of 12 popular alternate tunings (including six you can program yourself). You can even adjust your guitar's tunings to match other instruments.

A guitar with Min-ETune feels the same, looks the same (the unit mounts onto the back of your guitar's headstock), and plays the same. But most importantly, it sounds the same--Min-ETune works by tuning the physical strings, not by digital trickery that degrades your tone. Save time and money in the studio, keep the flow going onstage, enhance your creativity with new tunings, and more. You take care of the playing--Min-Etune will handle the tuning.

Solid Genuine Mahogany Body
Like the greatest SG Standards ever made, the SG '50s Tribute starts with a foundation of solid Genuine Mahogany, a tonewood with a long tradition at Gibson. A solid Genuine Mahogany body is crafted in the distinctive, thin asymmetrical dual-cutaway style, with iconic pointed "horns" and beveled edges to enhance playing comfort.

Solid Mahogany Neck
A solid Genuine Mahogany neck is glued into the body in Gibson's time-tested tradition and carved to a comfortably rounded '50s profile that measures .818" at the 1st fret and .963" at the 12th. It is topped with a genuine rosewood fingerboard that carries 24 medium-jumbo frets to maximize this neck's excellent fret access, and traditional trapezoid inlays. In keeping with the stripped-down ethos of this powerful performer, both body and 'board remain unbound, and there's no pickguard to obscure the finish. A PLEK-cut nut made from black Corian subtly complements the black top-hat knobs with silver inserts. The traditional back-angled headstock is silkscreened with a gold Gibson and holly logo, and, in a fun touch, stamped with "Prototype" to indicate this as a '50s-era transition from Les Paul to SG.

P-90 Pickups
The SG '50s Tribute takes its firepower from a pair of P-90 pickups, some of the most revered tone machines in Gibson history. The P-90s currently made by Gibson USA adhere strictly to the vintage formula, which includes two genuine Alnico V bar magnets per pickup and a coil wound with 42-AWG enamel-coated wire for all the growl, snarl, and articulation that has made the originals legendary.

Tune-o-Matic Bridge and Grover Tuners
The traditional wiring complement of an independent volume and tone control per pickup, plus a three-way toggle selector switch, allows a broad range of sonic variations. To anchor it all down, Gibson USA loads in a Tune-o-Matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece, with a set of genuine Grover kidney button tuners, a hardware set that partners up for solid sustain and precision tuning.

Put it all together, and the SG '50s Tribute presents the perfect celebration of Les Paul's genius and achievement, wrapping it into a great guitar that brings the look, feel, and sound of the first generation of Les Pauls made to the SG body style, putting it all in the hands of players of today at an unbeatable price.

What's in the Box?
Gibson SG Special 50's Tribute Electric Guitar with Min-ETune, black Gibson gigbag, owner's manual, and truss-rod wrench.
Gibson USA
Gibson SG 50's Tribute at a Glance
Includes Min-ETune automated "robot" tuners
Solid Genuine Mahogany body available in three satin finishes
Mahogany neck with comfortable, rounded 50's profile
Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
Pair of powerful P-90 pickups in the neck and bridge
Grover Kidney button or Min-ETune automated tuners
Gibson SG 50's Tribute
Product Description
SG 50'S Tribute Min-Etune

Compare to the Gibson SG Tribute 60's which has Humbuckers  - however for my needs, the thinner neck forces me to keep my credit card in my wallet, and "pass"
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-ETune-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B00ATDNR3K/ref=pd_cp_MI_2
[/i]

Elantric

Regarding early reports of gear slippage in the Tronical Tune Tuner's gears - this I leave to combo of pilot error and Gibson final assembly line setup.

These Robotuner guitars employ locking tuners, and hold up well - no slippage if restrung correctly - that is use less than 1 wrap per string, not 4 wraps as my 2013 50's SG Tribute came setup.

Suggest read and follow the Gibson / Tronical Tuner restring procedure here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=74

whippinpost91850

Elantric, did the SG come with the hard shell case as well ?

Elantric

QuoteElantric, did the SG come with the hard shell case as well ?
A padded Gibson gig bag is supplied - which is a bit cheap and not recommended as it does not properly support the angled headstock.

I will probably use my new Monocase M80 gig bag that i got for $100  - as it Does have proper internal Neck support for the Gibson angled Headstock ( the achilles heel of owning any Gibson)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg73124#msg73124

I just returned from a rehearsal and playing this Gibson SG Tribute 50's guitar brings back memories - mostly due to the ergonomics (compared to a Les Paul, F bar chords at 1st fret played on any SG seem a mile away ;)   Despite the Tronical Tune system the guitar is balanced and not "neck heavy"  - that is it does not drop its headstock when playing standing up with a strap  - (as a Melody Maker with Grovers does).  This Min-Etune Gibson SG is the best slide guitar today IMHO.  24 frets help too! +

Compared to a real deal '61 Gibson SG  Neck which constantly feels a bit more than flimsy and all too easy to get The Who "Live at  Leeds" vibrato on open chords with very little  provocation by wiggling the neck, by contrast this 2013 50's  SG Tribute fat neck model   
has an extended 24 fret Rosewood Fretboard that is glued down and overlaps into the body at the crucial Neck to Body joint - provides far more substantial neck joint, and better tone and sustain and feels very solid - Neck is more like a '57 LP Junior It feels as solid as any Les Paul, despite the very light all mahogany body. ( I lucked out)   
This guitar is very light, and rings well. Its not a high gloss hand rubbed lacquer finish, Gibson probably spends no more than 3 minutes painting this guitar in the production line ( its similar to the back side of the Dark Fire  - so orange peel poor paint job is the order of the day on this budget Gibson - also no binding on fretboard, but it has nice bright white fretboard edge markers and decent looking Trapezoid inlays that evoke the look of a 1961 SG Standard. On the Gibson Forum I recall there were many "SG Purists" who despised that fact that normal production SG's back in 2008 have improper size "bat wing" Body cutaways. I own an original '61 SG, and i can say this new SG has identical thin body shape as my original (not like the thick 1982 SGs), but i observe on this 2013 model, the back side has bevels which are not present on my real '61 SG.    Also I prefer this SG body style as it has more wood, and not the typical bathtub body route under the '66 style pickguard to accommodate 3 humbuckers as '66 SG Customs do. The features on this 2013 50's  SG Tribute fat neck model gets me in the ballbark for all my SG urges at a nice price for a real Gibson USA guitar that sounds great.

All that is left is for me to perform my Humbucking mod. (seems ridiculous that in 2013, nobody at Gibson has figured out that if you take the Neck P90 PU apart , rotate  the two internal bar magnets 180 degrees, then reverse the electrical phase of the neck coil and put it all back together - the result is a guitar that sounds 100% identical to stock  - yet is humbucking (no hum) when the PU toggle position is in the  middle position where both bridge and neck PU are on. BTW the Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster ( also with a pair of P90's)  is already wired humbucking in the same manner described above straight from the factory. Weird when Fender tops Gibson in basic P90 guitar wiring tricks .

whippinpost91850

Steve, thanks for the info I figured it probably came with a bag and that just won't do. I've allready repaired the headstock on my 72 20th Aniversary Paul a couple of times and My custom Synth Guitar I've repaired 3 times It uses a handbuilt Explorer type neck. I see they have Lefty's as well and will order one tonight. I just have to decide between the 50's fat neck or the 60's w/humbuckers. If the 60's one has an early 60's neck it should be fine for my little hands

Elantric

Hey, its a bit confusing - but when i saw so many left handed Gibsons on Amazon , i thought of posting this news in the Deal Thread -  knowing you are a lefty,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg73510#msg73510

Zzounds has been advertising they have the lowest prices on 2013 Gibson closet out models
http://www.zzounds.com/lp/zzounds-gibson-sale/116

But Amazon has them beat  - problem is if you try to do a price match, the Amazon price typically goes up 4 hours later  - and you never can get Zzounds, SamAsh, or Music123 to offer a better deal than Amazon. I have returned guitars with Amazon - and its been painless.
Here is a link to Gibson left handed items at Amazon - go down a page to hit the guitars - in typical Amazon fashion, if you see a deal on a model you like  - you might want to grab it before the price goes up. Weekends people are home, but my thoughts are there will be some major deals in the next few days, to clear inventory before 2014 hits on Wednesday   
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gibson+left+hand&qid=1388332146&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Agibson+left+hand&sort=price

In my case I was very interested in guitars with the Tronical Tune (a.k.a "Gibson Min-Etune" - identical system )since this technology is $329 alone. I want a reliable guitar I can gig with and play slide  / Keith Richards in many different tunings - NOT DSP generated! 

But sorting out which Gibson is best can be daunting  - so many models at similar sale prices - but very different set of features.

As I wrote above, IMHO in 2013 to present, Gibson is finally doing things right, and offering similar looking guitars, yet with very different Neck profile geometries, pickups, and sound - but it does make for a confusing marketplace. They do make over 22 different SGs!

At Amazon, notice that the new 2014 models are also on sale  - i recall seeing 2014 SG Futura with Min-Etune around $725 on the day after christmas (must have been a slow day at Amazon)   

If you don't need the Min-Etune, you can find many Left handed Gibson SGs around $400  - if you check this link every 4 hours, one will pop up.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gibson+left+hand&qid=1388332146&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Agibson+left+hand&sort=price

For the best review of the technical specs of each model  - head to the source - Gibson, and be sure to read the details of each model,

You might be surprised to find detailed info on the unique Neck profile geometries for each similar looking model. 
The 2013 SG Tribute 50's has the thickest neck at 0.963" at 12th fret. - and has nice vintage sounding P90's (this is the model I got)
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-50s-Tribute.aspx

While the 2013 SG Tribute 60's has a thinner neck at 0.875" at 12th fret. It does have good sounding Burstbuker humbuckers, but  has the "thin 60's profile" neck  - which I find too thin myself - but millions of others love it. ;) 
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-60s-Tribute.aspx

And the 2013 SG Tribute 70's has a neck at 0.930" at 12th fret., but comes with dark sounding Dirty Fingers pickups which I find too one dimensional  - not sure who they are targeting with this mix  - since "metal shredders" typically want the thinnest neck possible (yawn)
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-70s-Tribute.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx

For example this is my guitar - but with Grovers instead of Min-Etune for $494 in Black, $528 in Cherry Red, or $717 for sunburst.
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Handed-Vintage-Guitar/dp/B00BY35KMA/ref=sr_1_11?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388360614&sr=1-11&keywords=gibson+left+hand

Its pure random - all models are identical - but Amazon updates the price constantly based on an algorithm only they can explain ;)
No doubt these will be different prices tomorrow. they might be similar, or the Sunburst might $500, while the ebony goes up to $700.

When I purchased mine at $645, 30 seconds later it jumped up to $819 - where is remains today.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQS0IA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But here is the same guitar as mine with Min-Etune in a  left handed version at $639 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQS0IA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But re-read my review above - these 2013 SG Tribute guitars are built fast, do NOT have a high gloss paint job  - so if you had your heart set on owning a guitar just like this:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Original.aspx

then save your money and order the guitar you really want - but it will be $1600 - not $600

Back to 2013 SG Tribute  models -  with the Plek Fretboard - they play well , but expect minor flaws and Very little attention to details. Ive been at the Massman ave production line and seen them spit out 2,000 guitars /day. So realize these are designed from the get go to be budget models,  Upon delivery fresh out of the box, you WILL see paint overspray, minor paint flaws, evidence of masking off the edge of the Rosewood fretboard before spraying, with resulting paint lines on the sides of the neck  - all fixed with a bit of #000 steel wool, and some polish BTW. For me, I bough the guitar to play it - not look at it ;) 

Here is review of the non Min-Etune version

whippinpost91850

Thanks for the info. I just put a 60's SG tribute Min-E Tune in (it says) Hi-gloss Black in my Shopping cart for $626, but haven't pulled trigger yet trying to decide whether to open a Amazon card and save $50 also to try the prime with free 2 day shipping. Just 2 damn many choices ???

Elantric

Agreed! But its a pretty good deal when left handed models are typically 30% more $$$, and rare

Quote(it says) Hi-gloss Black

Same as my Model  - dont believe them!

Look close here (be sure to set Youtube to HD 720) - and see the woodgrain, and paint overspray

These guitars are confusing

Here is the 2012 Gibson SG Special Tribute '60s - which despite the name is actually closer spec wise to my 2013 Gibson SG Tribute 50's
(Hey I don't name these things - and find it equally confusing since Gibson NEVER made any bat wing SG's in the 1950's! )

Both share

Same thin finish,
Same P90 PUs
Same Tune-o-matic bridge, stop tailpiece

But the old 2012 Model below has 22 frets ( 2013 model has 24 frets)
And the Min-Etune system was not available back in 2012.
I share the link mostly because I dig the way Greg Koch plays, and it provides more incite to the P90 tones.

Here is a complete 2013 lineup overview of all Gibson SG's  - (set Youtube to HD)

Observe what most folks call "Gloss Lacquer finish" - Gibson calls this "High Gloss Lacquer finish", and reserves it for the more upscale models that are $500 more that what i paid.
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-SG-Standard-Heritage-Cherry/dp/B00ADQS04E/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388366755&sr=1-2&keywords=gibson+sg+original

whippinpost91850

Agree Greg Koch is an amazing player. It had both listed ,but I wasn't counting on it being correct

Elantric

QuoteIts pure random - all models are identical - but Amazon updates the price constantly based on an algorithm only they can explain ;)
No doubt these will be different prices tomorrow. they might be similar, or the Sunburst might $500, while the ebony goes up to $700.

whippinpost91850 wrote>
QuoteThanks for the info. I just put a [left handed] 60's SG tribute Min-E Tune in (it says) Hi-gloss Black in my Shopping cart for $626, but haven't pulled trigger yet

As I predicted
Gibson USA SGTR6LE5RC1SG Tribute 60's Min-ETune Ebony Vintage Gloss Left Hand $597
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-USA-SGTR6LE5RC1SG-Tribute-Min-ETune/dp/B00BY35T4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388371789&sr=1-1&keywords=min-etune

Same guitar but right handed now $1033
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-Etune-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B00BY35SWW/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388371894&sr=1-2&keywords=min-etune

So wait a day for the prices to drop again if you are right handed ;)

whippinpost91850

Got my Lefty 60's Tribute SG delivered to my office yesterday . I had just about 5 minutes to turn it on and see If it worked. Neck feels pretty nice (I have smaller hands) and it was kinda cool to see the machine heads turn on there own .I also like the very thin finish and it acoustically sounds fairly alive for a new guitar... Hope to have time tonight to plug it in and try out the tunings 8)

Elantric

QuoteGot my Lefty 60's Tribute SG delivered to my office yesterday .

Glad to hear you got it - the Amazon Deals all seem to be over now - all Gibson Min-Etune systems all start at $750 and higher now

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=min-etune&qid=1389138947&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Amin-etune&sort=price

the Red Version of my guitar that was $519 on Dec 28 is now $990 !!

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-ETune-Heritage-Vintage/dp/B00ATDO8FG/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388268888&sr=1-1&keywords=min-etune

BackDAWman

Quote"I was vocal to Gibson management that I felt all the production guitars had a "too slim" neck profile, didn't matter if you ordered a Flying V, Explorer, or Les Paul or SG - They all came with an identical neck profile that was too thin for my taste, (exceptions were the Billie Joe '57 LP Junior (nice fat neck) or the Melody Makers.)  and I told the head designers at Massman Avenue  to head across town to Gruhn's Guitars and measure neck profiles and play real examples of vintage Gibsons, and consider offering a broader range of neck geometries on the regular production line instruments, instead of forcing customers interested in owning an authentic Gibson with an authentic vintage Gibson neck profile to order from the Gibson Custom shop at $10,000 as their only option."
I own a Gibson SG Zoot Suit. To me, it has a really fat neck! I love this guitar dispite the bad reviews you see on loads of forums. The fact that it doesn't have a gloss paint job is a bonus to me.

whippinpost91850

Elantric , Have you been using your Tronical tune SG live yet, If so are you finding the alternate tuning fast enough??

Elantric

QuoteElantric , Have you been using your Tronical tune SG live yet, If so are you finding the alternate tuning fast enough??

I was able to spend time yesterday with Toni DaRosa of Tronical and learned some tips to improve  / reduce the "tune times" of the Tronical Tune system.

Big tip #1  -skip the Gibson Min-ETune docs  - head to the source at Tronical and read the complete manual

http://www.tronical.com/tronicaltune-manual-english/
TronicalTune Manual Version 2.12 
http://www.tronical.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TTL_Manual_2.12eng.pdf

whippinpost91850

Thanks I'm downloading the manual and will check it out

redlock

Quote from: Elantric on January 27, 2014, 10:36:43 AM
I was able to spend time yesterday with Toni DaRosa of Tronical and learned some tips to improve  / reduce the "tune times" of the Tronical Tune system.

Big tip #1  -skip the Gibson Min-ETune docs  - head to the source at Tronical and read the complete manual

That's great. What were the other tips?

Elantric

QuoteThat's great. What were the other tips?

Tronical Tune Manual 2.12 includes chapters of new info that were not available a few weeks ago.

Elantric

Just an update -

I still love my 2012 Gibson SG Min-Etune 50's SG  - specifically for its nice fat neck profile that feels - well, like the Neck profile on a real 1950's Gibson, and the Tronical Tune system provides access to 17 Alt tunings in seconds. - and a new USA Gibson with a decent Neck at $645 proved too hard to resist during the Amazon post holiday season sale.

(same guitar today goes for $800)
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-ETune-Vintage-Guitar/dp/B00ADQS0IA/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1392946174&sr=1-7&keywords=min-etune

But i recently ordered a set of Kent Armstrong Stealth-90 Noiseless pickups. I heard these at the 2013 NAMM show, and Ive known Kent over 30 years now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-ARMSTRONG-Soapbar-NOISELESS-Stealth-P90-GUITAR-Neck-BRIDGE-Pickup-SET-Black-/171232501539?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27de409f23
http://www.kentarmstrong.com/pages/about.html
http://www.danarmstrong.org/
http://www.wdmusic.com/stealth_90_noiseless_p90_neck_black_plastic_cover_hp90nb.html

We have been getting requests for Kent Armstrong's new noiseless HP-90 pickup and they are finally here! This new revolutionary design gives the sweet, warm chime and tone of the original P-90 pickup without all that annoying 60 cycle hum. Read the forums on this HP-90 pickup and don't let the high resistance fool you. Making its debut at the 2012 summer NAMM show, this design uses the hum-cancelling properties of opposing coils but defies the normal high output that would accompany similar resistance designs. Available in both bridge and neck positions so you can create a proper calibrated set and in black and cream plastic as well as real metal covers in black, chrome, gold and nickel plating! If you love P-90s and want to forget about not being able to use your favorite guitar because of lighting and power issues you simply have to get into a set of new Stealth 90 pickups.

Magnet type = Ceramic
Resistance = 17.2K neck PU,   19.6K bridge PU
Length = 3.365 in. (85.50mm)
Width = 1.36 in.(34.70mm)
Height = 0.74 in. (18.75mm)
Includes (4) conductor wiring

Review of the Kent Armstrong HP-90 pickups
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/363618-kent-armstrong-hp90-review.html

http://www.tronical.com/uploads/TTL_Manual_2.12eng.pdf

Elantric

My 1961 Gibson SG Special (white) and my 2012  SG Min-Etune 50's SG (black) (swapped the pickups for Kent Armstrong H90's, and installed a Stetsbar)

At one time The white SG was my only guitar for 4 years (ages 15-19) - wish I had a dollar for eveytime I played Santana Soul Sacrifice and Pinball Wizard  on it back in the day

Scrutinizing eyes will see my white '61 SG has been modified with extended Ebony fretboard (25 frets) in an effort to add stability and sustain - which this mod successfully accomplished back in 1981 at Valley Arts with much help from Dudley Gimpel
https://www.facebook.com/dudley.gimpel

It was interesting to see that Gibson R&D also thought this fretboard extension was a good mod - as the 2012  SG Min-Etune 50's SG has an extended 24 fretboard too. But of course this killed much of the collector value ( similar 100% stock 1961 SG Specials recently sold for $18K) 

Detail of the Stetsbar (took 15 minutes to install and easily 100% reversible back to the original stock T.O.M / Stop Tailpiece)  - There is room for a GK3 PU.

The  Kent Armstrong H90's have no hum - yet all the tone and sound of a P90! I love these PU's
http://www.wdmusic.com/stealth_90_noiseless_p90_neck_black_plastic_cover_hp90nb.html

And main reason I got this model is for its thicker rounded '50s neck profile that measures .818" at the 1st fret and .963" at the 12th.

whippinpost91850

Elantric, are you using the Min-Etune SG live yet??? I have yet to start using mine live, but want to

Elantric

Yes - just starting to use it - works great for me AFTER I stretch new strings and break them in for a day.

I'm having a ball with the SG, because its so much like my old '61 white SG guitar I played full time as a teenager. ( my 2012 SG is a better guitar IMHO) so I'm using long dormant "muscle memory", and I play differently.
I contend that each guitar has its own mojo and spirit. I play my SG much differently (more blues and hand vibrato) than my Jazzmasters ( where I tend to play pure clean surf tunes) . I'm more expressive with my hand vibratos and string bending on  shorter 24.75" Gibson scale length guitars due to less string tension compared to Fenders 25.5" scale length  - that extra 3/4" plays a significant factor in tone and voicing as well - I find for guitars, the longer the scale length  = brighter  tone . 

whippinpost91850

Glad to hear you are starting to use it. I hope to start adding it as a second guitar live very soon as well

highlandsrock

Went into GuitarGuitar in the UK to buy my nephew his first decent guitar and came away with a 2014 SG Standard for myself. Hadn't planned to (at least that's what I told my wife) but the moment I picked it up it was right. Beautifully light and a great feel. Just clicked with it and watching the tuners spinning round on their own was the finishing touch. There was the faintest of dents in the lacquer, which I pointed out to the sales assistant, and he knocked £50 ($85) off. Haven't owned a Gibson before. Was going to buy a Les Paul Pro II but the whole thing felt wrong and badly put together. Pleased I went for the SG instead.

We came away from the store with 2 guitars, er well 3 actually as I took a shine to an LTD 8 string which was bought for me as a belated Christmas present. Result!
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Elantric

Congratulations!

I'm extremely pleased with my 2012 Gibson SG "50's" Tribute with Min-Etune. Much lighter and a much better guitar than any 2009 era Gibson SG's i played before.

This is a good time for Gibson SGs!