Tech 21 full range mod...it works!

Started by Bill Ruppert, August 04, 2012, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

I added bullet tweeters to my Tech 21 Power Engine 60,s.
It turned out fantastic and they sound like LOUD studio monitors.
PLUS they have a three band EQ to fine tune the sound.
I bought the bullet tweeters from amazon cheap and a 3 inch circular saw at Lowes.
I am thrilled with the results.
Below is the original thread I read that made me go for it:
Below that are pics from my mod.
(get help if you have never done wood work! You could screw up your amp.)

"For the tweeters I added a set of Pyle 2 PDBT28 1 Heavy Duty 300 watt Titanium Super Tweeters.
The tweeter is 3" overall with a 1" dome. The Pyles came with a capacitor to filter out the frequencies below 2K. I was intending to put a more sophisticated crossover in, however I really like the result with just the capacitor.. It cost me about $50 and a 3" hole saw bit. The best part is it fits the cabinets and makes for a very compact stereo setup."

nosaintnick

Bill Ruppert

Sweetbird

greekjgg

Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

aliensporebomb

So.....let me get this straight you basically turned easily available guitar amplifiers into serviceable studio monitors by adding a tweeter to extend the frequency response.  OK, that's brilliant! 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

LPHovercraft

piqued*

I think in another thread there was a comment about replacing the 12" with a general full-range PA transducer. So I think if you want a more even response than the tweeter add plus the replacement would be advisable.

I'm curious what the total outlay is versus just buying something that's right to begin with. I have to admit - the guitar amp look/feel has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi element to it. Nice work!
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

Bill Ruppert

Well the coaxial speakers that people have been using is the Beyma 12GA50.
They sell for $159 each before shipping!
Top end is 18K.

Using the bullet tweeters seem better to me for several reasons.
If I ever want to use the Power Engine with a preamp that does not have speaker emulation all I have to to is reach in the back and disconnect the tweets. Not possible with the Beyma.
The tweets top end is higher and go up to 20K.
I also placed the tweeter on the second amp in the opposite corner creating a wider stereo spread when sitting next to each other.
The guitar amp look and form factor was a must for me!
Bill

Toby Krebs

Eminence Delta 12A PA speaker for around 80 dollars are tough to beat. I have them in an original Line 6 Flextone- a Roland KC-300 and a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. Beautiful speakers. Love Them!

gp81

Hi Bill,
Really cool idea.  How sophisticated is the wiring to do this?  Is there a lot of soldering and "know how" involved, or is it pretty straightforward?  I would like to do this, but I don't have a lot of electronics chops.

atonal

Hi Bill any impedance matching problems? did you wire in series or parallel ? currently I'm using Qsc kw112 and love it but two techs for some stereo would be cooler than another $900 for qsc !!Are you going to post any soundclips ??

Bill Ruppert

GP
No its just wired in parallel.

Positive to positive and negative to the negative off the speaker.
You need to cut a hole in the cabinet baffle board to fit the bullet tweeter in.
That I think is the hard part.
Quote from: gp81 on September 26, 2012, 06:34:50 PM
Hi Bill,
Really cool idea.  How sophisticated is the wiring to do this?  Is there a lot of soldering and "know how" involved, or is it pretty straightforward?  I would like to do this, but I don't have a lot of electronics chops.

Bill Ruppert

Atonal
Its just parallel wiring.
I did not find a problem.
Or the guy I got the idea from...
I have a close up pic of the wiring some where here.
I will look.
Bill

Quote from: atonal on September 27, 2012, 04:42:44 AM
Hi Bill any impedance matching problems? did you wire in series or parallel ? currently I'm using Qsc kw112 and love it but two techs for some stereo would be cooler than another $900 for qsc !!Are you going to post any soundclips ??

atonal

Thanks Bill !! Just got an email  from Ehx on the rocker pedal,,,,nice job !!