GR-55 - Banjo and Dobro patches

Started by jwhitcomb3, February 16, 2011, 08:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Here are two Dobro patches and two Banjo patches (zipped .g5l format). The EXP pedal on the Banjo & Upright patch fades in a string bass on the low strings.

Except for the 5-String Banjo patch, the CTL toggles tuning (LED off is traditional, LED on is guitar EADGBE). CTL toggles reverb for the 5-String banjo patch.

Jonathan

bubbaguuump

Thanks Johnathan for taking the time and making these awesome contributions to the masses!

mbenigni

Can't wait to hear these.  The banjo model in the GR-55 is killer IMO.

Manuel

Hi,
As I tried the different acoustic guitar patches; I was surprised of the improvement of the sound. So I was quite optimistic downloading the banjo and dobro patches. I was disapointed  :( they are not much realistic than the original delivered by Roland. To bad I was really hoping to swap from electric to banjo during a song without changing instrument.

Best regards
Manuel

BDAZ

I have just upgraded from the GR-1 to the 55 and I was expecting significant :'( improvement in the banjo sound. I play Celtic Rock with a 5 string solid body mando and simulate a tenor banjo much of the time. The banjo sound in the 55 is not even recognizable as a banjo. Awful and after playing with it for a while, I think I'm going back to the GR-1. I am also having problems with the GK-2 and the 55 and have not been able to get a reliable playback.

Many of the patches are vastly improved over the GR-1, especially lead guitar, sax and flute, but the banjo is a deal breaker...back she goes.

I tried the 5 string banjo patch and it just doesn't have a banjo sound to it...am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Cya!

Bob

FrankG

Hey JWhitComb3,

Thanks for the patches... I really like the Dobro "Open Tuned" patches... the Bango Patches are not working properly here on my end...

But neither is the factory voice #328 (Plucked Stroked)... Of course they all work in a fashion, but are far from sounding realistic... A shame really as I'd gladly trade 80 of the 87 synth bass voices for 2 good Banjo voices or 100 of 123 Synth Lead Voices for a even a decent Mandolin... :)

But your Dobro's are now part of my user patches and backed up already !

Thx

the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

KeldAmpworks

Sorry to drag this from the dead.

Has anyone got a good banjo out of this yet? I use a GR33 - which has a decent banjo tone. Tried the GR55 today in store and was quite disappointed with both the PCM and the Modelled banjo. Seems like a step backwards. Unfortunately the banjo is one of the few tones on the GR33 that I've been actually able to use for paying gigs!

lstacotto

I agree, I owned a GR30 and the Banjo patch was 100 times better than GR55, dont understand why? You would think it would improve. Its too thin and chinzy. Does anybody have a really good banjo patch for GR55?? Need one for gigs.

Thanks

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group lstacotto!  :)

KezzTCP

Here are a couple of 5 str Banjo patches I've put together and used for recording. Please feel free to try/tweak.

K
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

lboiv001

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on February 16, 2011, 08:42:31 PM
Here are two Dobro patches and two Banjo patches (zipped .g5l format). The EXP pedal on the Banjo & Upright patch fades in a string bass on the low strings.

Except for the 5-String Banjo patch, the CTL toggles tuning (LED off is traditional, LED on is guitar EADGBE). CTL toggles reverb for the 5-String banjo patch.

Jonathan

Are you familiar with the GR-33?

I can save presets to user patches all day long, but I can't seem to be able to save a TONE from the tone library to a user patch. Specifically, I am trying to save #95 in the tone library (banjo) to a user preset, but it won't write!

What is the difference in saving tones versus saving presets to user patches?

Even the Roland tech I had on the phone was stumped.....said he would get back with me but he never did. I KNOW it can be done.

It has to be a simple 3 or 4 step procedure. Can you help on this?

Thanks in advance.