GR-55 - Sudden volume, sensitivity drop on string 1 (High E)

Started by tightlow, August 17, 2014, 09:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tightlow

Good morning all:
Hey, I now have significantly less volume from my 1st string (high E) on my 3-month old GR-55 with GK-3 Pickup on my Les Paul.
I have not been playing it much at all due to the need to rehearse other material, so I can't say when/ how anything could have happened.
I'm not sure how to find the exact reason, but checked my sensitivity levele, and readjusted them to make sure: the high E is still a weak signal (I had changed nothing since the last time I played it).
So, Hex PuP?
Cable?
Dust on cab;e ends or GK# or Gr55 unit receptacle?
Other?

I'd sure love some suggestions. Luckily I have a 3 year extended warranty, but maybe some setting changed, and i'm unaware of what it is?
I've seen one user here say he had three failed GK 3 PuPs

Thanks

admin

Read
How to prepare  and maintain your 13 pin GK cable
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.msg20110#msg20110

mbenigni

FWIW I've been having the same problem on both the high E-string and the B-string lately.  It's been a serious factor in my deciding whether to double-down on the whole GK paradigm (i.e. adopting GP-10) vs. sticking with a traditional 1/4" mono solution.  I'm sure my cable is properly deoxidized, etc.  Best guess now is intermittent shorts right behind the connector, but I have to say, the mechanical connection itself doesn't inspire much confidence - even fully inserted and "locked" it's a kind of a wiggly, fuzzy mess.  Fine at home, but I can't bring it on stage as is.

Looking forward to the day Roland moves on to something more robust, and keeping an eye on DIY mods until then.

tightlow

mbenigni:
I'd agree with your assessment: Firstly, the whole thing is made in China, I'd guess...either way, the cable is far cheaper than it should be. And the connections are, seriously, a joke. That's way too much stuff crammed into a low quality plastic cable and connector. But I've got to check into the admin's link. I hope crippling cheapness isn't the problem, but let's face it, these days, it's hard to even "get what you pay for," because the only thing on offer is junk, at any price. Let's wish eachother luck.

Anybody else find clues or have this problem?

THX

tightlow

admustaniac:
Great link there. Thanks. I'll get to it (after talking to my amp guy/ electronics man). Knowing him all these years, and the immaculate/ obsessive nature of all his work, my guess is he'll modify this prescription at least somewhat. My guess is he'll produce an impossibly specialized brush and exercise meticulous patience in cleaning every micrometer of each pin separately. 
I sure hope it's this issue, and not a crap cable, but that's why extended warranties actually make sense these days. Just love Roland's 90 day warranty on labor...
Thanks again.

thebrushwithin

Playing with 13 pin, 4 nights a week, using every 13 pin cable that is manufactured, I am getting really anxious to abandon 13 pin for live. Deoxit helps, and I use it, but I go through cables like crazy. I just had to quit using the new right angle cable, which I really liked, after just 12 gigs, because, it too, even as well as it is made, started having the ugly ground issues, which causes false triggering, lingering notes, etc., and I know it is NOT that the cables are poor, but rather it is a design flaw by Roland, IMO. So, in a last ditch effort, I will need someone locally, that can properly install Gumbo's all metal female connectors, on each of my guitars, or else I need to rethink my live setup, sans 13 pin, which pisses me off, cause I love what it brings to the table. I am keeping all of these cables, just in case Gumbo's solution is the answer.

mbenigni

Glad it isn't just (another) case of me being a fussy prima donna about my gear.  The male and female parts don't quite feel like their dimensions match properly - or maybe the tolerances are just too wide.  The cable never feels like it's all the way in the guitar, as if the pins are too long or something.  It lingers in the back of my mind whenever I play a GK guitar, and I don't have enough brains to spare the CPU cycles.

mateomasfeo

This problem is the main reason I use the old GR guitars with a a BX converter box.  Problem solved...

Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

mbenigni

Quote from: mateomasfeo on August 18, 2014, 10:46:03 AM
This problem is the main reason I use the old GR guitars with a a BX converter box.  Problem solved...

Interesting - this got me reading some of your previous posts, and now I'll know to pay attention if I ever stumble on a used G-505.

CodeSmart

Quote from:  Elantric
In my case - I'm replacing every Female 13 pin connection with  Female 13 pin DIN "Chassis mount style " as this provides a 360 degree full circumference contact area with the singular DIN Shell Ground connection on the Male plug

Elantric, that might help overall ground issues but not one disappearing string. I think there are many causes. Oxidation is one thing but I noted on one of my own cables that the problem was related to the deformation of the cable just an inch up from connector. This part got bent slightly every time I put the guitar in the stand (it was not a oxidation issue, various cleaning methods did not help).

Personally I always have two a GK guitars each going with a separate cable to one of my switchers. If something happens I have a complete redundant system. Guitar, strings, cable everything replaceable instantly by switching guitar and hit the switcher. In the case of the forementioned broken cable this approach saved a gig.

Regarding oxidation I think the problem varies with your location. Where I live it's cold and dry and inland, hence most gigs are indoor. For some of you often playing outdoor near the ocean where it's salty air, hot and humid I guess that increases probability for oxidation.

I wish there were similar metal connectors you are advising but for PCB mounting with the same small physical format as the plastic ones I'm using in my GKxx projects (are you listening Gumbo ;) )

The good thing with the 13-pin stuff is that it is a standardized connector, even though not the best. Wireless would be great to have.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

QuoteElantric, that might help overall ground issues but not one disappearing string. I think there are many causes. Oxidation is one thing but I noted on one of my own cables that the problem was related to the deformation of the cable just an inch up from connector. This part got bent slightly every time I put the guitar in the stand (it was not a oxidation issue, various cleaning methods did not help).

Another potential source of "disappearing string" is poor crimp connections on the GK-3 PU - so be sure to examine these internal connections on your Internal  / External GK-3 PU.

mateomasfeo

Quote from: mbenigni on August 18, 2014, 12:00:01 PM
Interesting - this got me reading some of your previous posts, and now I'll know to pay attention if I ever stumble on a used G-505.

There is a SLIGHT cost issue involved with going with the 24 pin cables!!! ::)  But they are quiet and tough and repairable....

Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 18, 2014, 03:25:58 PM

Regarding oxidation I think the problem varies with your location. Where I live it's cold and dry and inland, hence most gigs are indoor. For some of you often playing outdoor near the ocean where it's salty air, hot and humid I guess that increases probability for oxidation.

I wish there were similar metal connectors you are advising but for PCB mounting with the same small physical format as the plastic ones I'm using in my GKxx projects (are you listening Gumbo ;) )

...yes, I'm listening..
..and you've just prompted an (other) idea...

...dammit!     ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mbenigni

Quote from: mateomasfeo on August 19, 2014, 06:08:14 PM
There is a SLIGHT cost issue involved with going with the 24 pin cables!!! ::)  But they are quiet and tough and repairable....

Yeah, I thought about that.  I imagine the connectors are still easy enough to find, but building a 13-pin cable at home is probably a challenge.  What does the vendor (is the name "Wayne Jones"?) charge for a BX converter box and a cable?  (And thanks in advance for the info.)