For all you tone seekers out there

Started by Mrchevy, July 22, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

I found this article in a thread at the Fractal Audio forum. Though it might be of interest to those still trying to find a good tone from their rig. Enjoy  ;)

http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

supernicd

Thanks for the link, MrChevy.  I'm wondering how this translates into the digital/modeling realm.  In that case, I guess your power attenuator is already built in, in the form of a patch level param.  There are some devices (e.g. VG-99, POD HD500, GT-100) that would let you set up the EQ --> Dist Pedal --> EQ configuration described. (can't remember/don't know if the GR-55/GP-10 have enough FX blocks or not)

I have read some similar articles (seems like maybe Elantric has some links posted in the reference areas) that talk about the virtues of this EQ/Dist/EQ rig setup.  I have set them up and played around, but I guess I was never quite sure exactly what I was chasing, other than "great tone", which is kind of non-specific. :)

So this "secret weapon" remains something of an enigma to me.  Perhaps I'll try it again and the light bulb will go on.  If anyone really has a good handle on this and has some specific example to walk through (e.g. select the X amp model, cut 4db @ 2kHz pre-dist and boost 1db @ 1kHz post-dist and you'll notice Y), please post. I'd love to learn more about it, but so far my experimentation has mostly resulted in worsening my tone. :P  I suppose it's possible that this doesn't really translate into the digital realm, too, but seems more likely that I just don't know what I'm doing.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------