ibanez AR series anyone?

Started by myksara, June 11, 2014, 10:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Is anyone using ibanez ar220 or 325?
Would like to know how they are in terms of
tone, weight, sustain, looks, action, tuning stability and neck

heard very good things about these
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

These are considered to be re-issues of the old late 70's-80's Ibanez Artist Guitars  -
My favorite was the 1981 AR300
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/ForSale/acapella-81/1963813-

but I have played these recent examples at 2013 NAMM show - and found them to be not quite as nice a genuine 1980 Ibanez Artist

This Ibanez Forum thread has most details :

http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_topics7_Artist-Series.aspx

They report the AR325 top wood is a veneer and not as thick as the Maple Cap (Les Paul Standard style construction) used on the original  Ibanez Artist, or the higher cost AR425  guitars which tend to make these recent models a bit darker sounding. I also found these new models to be heavier than the original examples   

AR-325 (Figured bubinga Veneer Top on Mahogany Body)

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=4&cat_id=1&series_id=6&data_id=97&color=CL01

AR-220 (All Mahogany Body )

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=4&cat_id=1&series_id=6&data_id=98&color=CL01

AR-425 (Carved Maple Top on  Mahogany Body )

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=4&cat_id=1&series_id=6&data_id=96&color=CL01

myksara

Thanks Elantric!
I am really tempted to go for the AR325 DBS color..
will wait for others to share their experience if they have had
one with this
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

aliensporebomb

Take a look at the new AR720 and AR2619 - the 2619 is basically an AR300 made in Japan.  The 720 is a 300 but with the thinner 2619 body and blinged out with a lot of abalone.

Here's my Artist:

In normal light it takes on a more subdued character:

You want to hear it?  Sure:

It's an AR300 but the original owner must have never played it - no fretwear when I got it - I seriously think they bought it to look at it - they blinged it out with a lot of expensive parts (Grover Gold Imperial tuners, Duncan tri-sound splittable pickups like the Ibanez originals, fancy Schaller fine tuning tailpiece and roller bridge).   I bought it in 2008 and the serial dates it to over 15 years earlier.

I wish it had the original cloud tailpiece because that's a gorgeous design but I'm nitpicking.  This guitar is one of the nicest playing and sounding instruments I've ever owned.  The only caveat, it's heavier by about two pounds than any of my other guitars.

I pulled the pickups and the body of this guitar has a half inch maple top and underneath that mahogany.  It's got that growl.  The AR320/325/420 are the thinner 2619 body style - lighter in weight if that means anything. 
I have heard the fit and finish on these are great but the fretwork is hit and miss - there was a short period where they didn't quite have that process down although the ones now are fine.

Quite a few at Ibanez Collectors World are looking at the vined 620 ($899 - see sweetwater) and blingier 720 ($999 also at sweetwater - see the Aged Whisky Burst - gorgeous).  Some have expressed reluctance to spend that much on a chinese guitar but if you want the real thing you can look carefully for used examples.

If you require new - The 2619 - that one is $2200 and is the original AR300 made in Japan by the same people with the thicker body.  I'd say it's likely worth every penny.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

myksara

Thanks aliensporebomb. Thats a beautiful guitar.
currently in india, only ar325 and 420 are available and
that too on special order.
so I will have to buy one without trying (well I mostly have to do that)
and set it up myself

gumtown

The AR-325 looks really nice (IMO).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

I tried one - it is really nice:

With a 320:

myksara

I see that it has a prs se santana like body shape. Did it balance well sitting down?
Did/would you buy the bubinga one-325? ;D

Rhcole

Came within a gnat's hair of buying a AR-325 last year. Beautiful guitar, very reasonable price. ASB, what did you like about it?

All of the ARs are pretty heavy, yes?

mapperboy

Ibanez-love em.  I have an ARZ-400 (a 2010 Artist series ). The ser. no. traces to Sae Jung plant in Indonesia. Two EMG-HZ (passive) PUs, a LP Jr. body shape, heavy weight (6 lbs) gloss black (wood not identified) body with scallop on bottom of back making it very comfortable to hold. This one has excellent sustain and ring, Indian rosewood bound fingerboard, med height frets and excellent fit and finish throughout.
The electrics depart from the original LP design by adding a 2nd PU, a 3 position (front only, both, rear only) PU switch. The Vol and Tone controls are ganged to affect both PUs.
The reason I was attracted to it besides the killer 'used-but-not-a scratch-on-it' price ($275 CAD) during Boxing day 2013 up here in Vancouver Canada was the fact that the Gibraltar style bridge has tons of room between it and the rear PU for mounting a GK-3A.  The passive EMGs don't concern me (although they are frequently trashed by PU aficionados) because my main use is into VG-99/GR-55 through the GK-3A.   
With just a tad of bridge and neck tension rod tweaking it's the smoothest fastest electric I've currently got. 
I highly recommend Ibanez for pure bang-for-buck, can't beat 'em on that score, most of their models play and sound as good as boutique instruments costing 3 times more IMHO.

"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

aliensporebomb

Mysara: I'd say it actually predates the PRS Santana by a couple of decades!  I remember the Ibanez Artist ads from when I first started playing guitar way back in 1978!  It does balance well sitting down.

As far as weight, I'd say it's a couple of pounds lighter than my AR300 which weighs about ten and a half pounds.  Seemed very nice although I would have totally changed the action (everyone has their own preferences for guitars and the way they play).  Seemed like it sounded good thru the store amp too.

No, I didn't buy the 325 since I already had a 300 (previously pictured).  I just wanted to see if the guitar was comparable in playability and it was slightly different but not bad at all. 

If I were to get anything it would be an AR720 or 2619 but I just had a major computer problem and spent my allocatable income for the foreseeable future getting my studio going again.  UGH!

myksara

Thanks asb. I am about to pull the trigger on the ar325 forgetting that it is made in china ::)

Elantric

QuoteI am about to pull the trigger on the ar325 forgetting that it is made in china ::)

My 2 cents - as long as trained personnel and a full time quality control manager is resident at the production facility that implements regular training and inspection of all items produced, then high quality musical instruments can be produced anywhere. My last two recent Fender Squier Guitars are built in China and these are really excellent.   

and IMHO this is a very good fret job - with pro quality fret end dressing on 2014 Ibanez AR below

Compare to this 1997 below grade Korean Washburn Maverick Frets below - see the poor zero crown re maining on the fret ends (Bad)

myksara

Finally pulled the trigger. The AR325 is so amazing.
looks stunning and rich equalled in tonal options as well.
very happy. Bubinga top looks amazing and I like the word bubinga too..kinda cute..lol
downside is that it is very neck heavy. Now will have to figure out a way to balance this
guitar standing.

Elantric

Quote. downside is that it is very neck heavy. Now will have to figure out a way to balance this guitar standing.

In the old days I had a Gibson Melody Maker that was very "Neck Heavy" and would never stay balanced playing standing up.

I resorted to installing Fishing Weights in the electronic control cavity - that worked, but added weight to the whole guitar.

Rhcole

Beautiful guitar, almost bought one. Wonder why it's neck-heavy. What's the tone like? How does it play seated?

aliensporebomb

As I said before my guitar is 10.5 pounds and seems balanced well but I also am using a wide padded strap that tends to keep the guitar in place.

myksara

Quote from: Rhcole on June 18, 2014, 02:01:21 PM
Beautiful guitar, almost bought one. Wonder why it's neck-heavy. What's the tone like? How does it play seated?

The tone is very good and you can very quickly get Slash sounds using a Marshall amp sim thru a decent mfx.
You can also dial in Santana sounds quickly. Sustain, neck feel, knobs, stock pups, finish everything is very good
So I think this is a very versatile guitar doing LPs and PRS.
Better than the PRS SE Custom 24 and SE Santana for less.

It has a variety of sounds from full humbuckers to single coils (stratish) to parallel humbuckers and their combinations using the additional tri switches on board.
The volume knob also cleans up nice gradually and smooth.

It plays great seated and balances well. Now ordered a 3" strap to see if it resolves the neck dive standing up. I want to refrain from adding any weight to the guitar body unless absolutely necessary.

Fitting the GK3 pick up was easy without having to use glue or drills- using the included GK mounts that come with the GK3 kit.

Very impressed and so much in love with this guitar that I am planning to buy the AR420 too  ;D