Ibanez ...umm which one!!???

Started by myksara, November 26, 2012, 07:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

I had an Ibanez RG350DX with teh edge3 tremelo arm and it was a fantastic guitar for the price..the stock pups were average but it really didnt matter as I was anyway using all the modeling from GR55...the guitars wizard neck was super fast and the locking tremelo did stay in tune after heavy dive bombs..then I sold the guitar and bought a Fender classic player 50s strat n recently a Fender GC1 strat powered by Roland..The fenders are good in their own way, but I still feel that the neck on the Ibanez and the whammy were just superb...I struggle playing superfast solos on my Fenders which I used to do with ease on my Ibby..So I have decided to go for an Ibanez again...any recommendations from anyone here? SHould I go for the RG350DX again, or go for the prestige ones or premium ones- if they are worth the money? I have been in love with the maple fingerboards on both my fenders and wd prefer Ibanez with a maple fingerboard- so Ibanez RG350MZ and RG350MYE are budget choices..but is the maple fingerboard on those coated like the fenders?
Is the Edge zero 2 tremelo on the recent Ibanez guitars better than the Edge3? This is so confusing!...any houghts experiences with Ibanez models highly appreciated (MOST IMPORTANTLY:- There should be enough space between the bridge and bridge pickup to mount my external GK3 which currently sits on a PRS SE Custom 24..So I think the S series from Ibanez is ruled out
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

aliensporebomb

Generally the Ibanez shred style guitars have not had maple fingerboards - generally rosewood or ebony except on the less expensive ones and they do seem to be coated.  As far as the prestige necks, yes, they do more finishing and are generally more fun and effortless to play in my opinion.  I recently played a new S series
prestige which was totally excellent - it had an actual ebony neck that was like ponies on ice.

I do understand what you're talking about with regards to the fender roland ready strats not being as fast as the dedicated shred machines.  I've gotten mine to be
as fast as it's likely to be but the Soloist is still faster.

As far as the space between the treble pickup and the bridge I resolved that issue on one of my Jackson USA Soloist guitars by unscrewing the treble pickup ring, pushing the pickup as far north as I could in the cavity and then rescrewing the pickup ring. 

See:

That was taken before rescreweing and there was just enough room for the pickup between the treble pickup ring and the bridge and still be able to whammy.

I'd seek out one of those Ibanez RG models with a pre-installed GK pickup if you can find one.  I've never seen one in person but they seem to be commonly available online. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

cell7

For what it is worth, Im really keen on those new Ibanez ZR [zero resistance] trems. I dont have one [i have a couple of 80s japanese RGs with original and lo-pro trems] but played with one for a while, and i think it is significantly better. Added bonus, they look fantastic.

Ibanez necks are still my all-time favourite, even though im mostly on the steinberger now.

myksara

Thanks guys...is anyone using the 25th anniversary RG1xxv?
How are those? I seem to like the fluorescent featured on it
the features seem decent being a premium guitar
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

highlandsrock

I like the Ibanez RG870 a good balance between cost and performance with it's fast, thin (depth wise) neck and the zero edge whammy. I fitted an GK internal kit to mine and it was an easy install. The Ibanez is the ideal guitar because the jack socket cavity is large enough to mount the two push button switches and the toggle switch without having to rout it bigger and make a new backplate.

I've just finished another internal install on a PRS SE Custom 24. It's got a totally different feel to the Ibanez and is very resonant before you even plug it in. I like both these guitars and in combination with my Godin Freeway SA I think I have the best of both worlds.

If you want to see photos of the installs - http://goo.gl/oHsTu will show you the Ibanez and http://goo.gl/POIBr for the PRS
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

myksara

Those are some great installs on the prs n ibby
I have a se custom 24..the latest model with a coil tap
The guitar is just superb...the wide thin neck didn't feel right
in the beginning, but like all things in life it needs a bit of adjusting
n the more you use it the quicker you would adjust to it..n now l just love
the guitar...it has the easiest access to 24th fret on all strings
due to the double cut away n set in neck..
After more pondering and reading reviews/you tube I have narrowed
down my search to an ibanez RG1XXV and rg3250mz prestige
Any one using any of these? Couldn't find many reviews of the 3250
I would be playing both those at a store on the weekend n buy one
If i don't find the maple fingerboard on 3250 good enough, its going to be xxv

tyler_z

If you like it, then go again to RG series. But I would not step in the same water twice. I'd try something more expensive. Fenders are really good but it's all up to player:)

myksara

Well now back with GAS over newer ibby models..
RG655 prestige, JS24p and JEM 70v
Anyone using one of these? Thoughts?
RG655:Original Edge bridge,dimarzio airnorton truvelvet and toneZone pups
JS24p: original edge, dimarzio chopper and mojoe pups
Jem7v: original edge,evolution pups

Litesnsirens

How about getting a neck from warmoth that will fit your GC-1 but just get the wizard profile?  You can choose the frets, and finish - nitro, poly or unfinished.