Fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster question

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

Just saw this on the gear page from the guy who posted pics of the Boss GT-100:
Quote:

I also found pictures of a new Roland guitar synth (similar to the GR-55?), but they're too small to see the model name or other info

gumtown

I searched the site he had referenced to, but i did not find those mentioned pictures..  ???

I would also find it hard to believe a new guitar synth would be released so soon after the GR-55 success..  :-\
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Bill Ruppert

I thought a new synth be a stretch as well.
UNLESS its a new VG system!
EEEEEE-GADS

wmzaphod

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on January 18, 2012, 05:49:40 PM
I thought a new synth be a stretch as well.
UNLESS its a new VG system!
EEEEEE-GADS
Could be, but I can't find the image you refer to either  ???
Peter
a gear-a-holic

See some guitars at JediStar.com

gumtown

There is this iPad app one that Elantric has found "Yonac Shredder".
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5143.msg35293#msg35293

Kind of looks interesting.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

wmzaphod

Quote from: gumtown on January 18, 2012, 06:08:56 PM
There is this iPad app one that Elantric has found "Yonac Shredder".
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5143.msg35293#msg35293

Kind of looks interesting.
It does, I bought it last week but haven't had a play with it yet...........
Peter
a gear-a-holic

See some guitars at JediStar.com

audiotrax

Couldn't find the page, but maybe Roland read my thoughts and is coming out with a low cost version of the GR-55 that skips the COSM and internal sounds, and just puts a MIDI converter in a convient controller pedal.  (Yes!)
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

Frank

If you do a google search for Boss GT-100 there is a cached version of the press release on the Dolphin Music site.

Frank

Shame they didn't combine the two products.  :(

Elantric

Here is the key phrase:
QuoteDistributed exclusively by Roland, the GK-Ready Stratocaster GC-1 will be available in March 2012.

This allows non Fender dealers to sell the GK-55 with a real Fender Strat

Fender /Roland GC-1 Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GC-1-OM.pdf

dr_macd

So ill just stick with my 96USA RR strat then. wouldnt mind a Bonie Rait sig RR tho.  :D
1997 Black USA Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster,
USA Seafoam Green Closet Pro Fender Custom Shop Strat,
USA Red Fender Telecaster with Fishman Tripple play,
Indonesian Trans Red Jim Adkins Telecaster,
MEX Sunburst Nashville Power Telecaster,
USA  PRS SC245,
USA Taylor T5.

aliensporebomb

If it's indonesian what is the price point for both?  Is this the bean counters trying to reduce cost of entry to the point the usual buyers who will say "no" might say yes this time out?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

drjoness2001

The new Roland / Fender GC-1 is a blend of American and Mexican parts. The neck is American, the body is from Mexico. The tuners are American made, while the bridge and body hail from Mexico.

whippinpost91850

BOY, THESE SHOTS BRINGS BACK MEMORIES ! I CAN REMEMBER STUMBELING ACROSS KATELLA TO THE MOTEL AFTER ONE OF THE INFAMOUS ALESIS TENT PARTIES. WHAT SEEMS ODD TO ME IS ROLAND IS IN THE ARENA. THAT USED TO FOR THE MOST PART, BE HIGHEND PA AND LIGHTING COMPANIES  ???

Elantric

QuoteOY, THESE SHOTS BRINGS BACK MEMORIES ! I CAN REMEMBER STUMBELING ACROSS KATELLA TO THE MOTEL AFTER ONE OF THE INFAMOUS ALESIS TENT PARTIES. WHAT SEEMS ODD TO ME IS ROLAND IS IN THE ARENA. THAT USED TO FOR THE MOST PART, BE HIGHEND PA AND LIGHTING COMPANIES 

They relocated to the former Asian lighting / disco ball filled "arena" 2 years ago  (its a wash of reverb and makes it difficult to judge sonic quality) - I much preferred their old space near the percussion companies, but Roland complained that no one could hear the Roland Attellier Organ demos over all the cymbals, kicjk drums being demoed in  the drum booths at their old location.

Elantric

Confirmed both G5 VG Strat and GC-1 Strat Controller are made in Mexico.

They do use USA Tuners - but "Made in Mexico" is on a decal on the rear of each headstock and they have serial numbers which start "MXxxxxxxxx" - typical for MIM Strats.

aliensporebomb

Not terrible - the strat I'm playing now is an MIM and what surprised me was the neck.  The MIM strats of a few years ago weren't quite this good - they must have tightened up the manufacturing side since the neck is what made me get it.  Adding the bladerunner made it almost too much fun. 

Did anyone see list prices?  That would get me an idea of the ballpark street price.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicman65

I read somewhere that MIM's where revamped about 8 years ago along with a substantial price increase. Supposedly, necks and bodies are now shipped to Mexico for assemble on all but the cheapest models. I do know that most older MIM Strats were poplar and the new ones are alder. So based on newer model features like 22 frets, I'd say they are taking a hybrid MIM/MIA approach. My experience is that the better MIMs can be very good players and come closer to a classic 50s style which I prefer.

bd

MCK

All this talk of new RR Strat having the GK3 instead of GK2... I can't see the little adjuster screw on those white casings... If its GK3 electronics inside thats another matter but it does not look like the pickup is the newer type... For what its worth

mbenigni

Quote from:  kmaus10 on January 20, 2012, 11:14:17 AM
I don't get it....why another VG Strat?  This was a failure, so what makes them think this (almost exact duplicate) will succeed?

Agreed, this doesn't make a lot of sense.  My best guess is they're trying to keep up with the Joneses, the Joneses in this case being Line 6, who are now shipping the JTV after a few years of seeming disinterest in the Variax.

But it seems pretty obvious that a lot of the sort of player who would pick up a VG might have interest in 13-pin output eventually, and it couldn't have been that big an expense to add one, or at least announce a separate SKU that includes one.

QuoteI do know that most older MIM Strats were poplar and the new ones are alder.

Interesting - my RR strat doesn't sound like ash or alder to me.  It's louder and a little brighter (harsher?) sounding.  Could this be poplar?  Plays great though, aside from the 21 fret nonsense the neck and fingerboard are perfect.  As alienspore says, the Bladerunner helps alleviate all the traditional strat problems: tuning stability etc.

musicman65

My understanding is that "most" new MIMs are alder which is warmer than ash but brighter than poplar or basswood. I'm a light "swamp ash" guy but my RR are unknown wood to me. They are heavier than I would choose but have decent tone. One day I will route out an ash and body upgrade. I suspect heavier bodies have less overtones and character and work better with GK applications....just a theory to explain the design and weight of the RR strats.

bd

erikbojerik

vanceg

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM
Just saw this on the gear page from the guy who posted pics of the Boss GT-100:
Quote:

I also found pictures of a new Roland guitar synth (similar to the GR-55?), but they're too small to see the model name or other info

So - What's the consensus about this potential new Roland Synth that you may have seen a picture of?  Where's that link?

Elantric

QuoteSo - What's the consensus about this potential new Roland Synth that you may have seen a picture of?  Where's that link?

I think this simply turned out to be a PR foto of the two Fender/Roland guitars with the VG-99 and GR-55 - viewed from afar - someone on the Gear Page assumed a new Roland Guitar Synth would be displayed.